The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Core Player NEEDS to be traded...

Rate this topic

HKSR

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

In fairness, the Sedins have only been gone for 3 years. 

And likewise, Hughes and Petey have really only had 3 years at it so far. 

So I wouldn't say we've given this core a real opportunity yet.  Are we really only gonna give this core 3 years of development before we say they suck?

Something in the middle.  There's no in fairness. They haven't legally made the playoffs in 9 years? Need to do something. They are at the cap limit with no prospects.

The proposed third d pairing is dreadful hence a change in asset mix being required.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1

Ok, here we go, assume Miller is traded for a great package that includes Chytil and Schneider from the NYR. 

The plan apparently is to wait 2 years for the core to develop and really GO FOR IT in 3 years (2024-25)

Here's the rosy picture...

Re-signings

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Petey at $9.5M AAV (seems like most of you think he's gonna hit his potential without Miller around)

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge)

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge)

Schneider at $5M AAV (if he turns into that stud defenceman)

Trades and Movement

Pearson gone by 2024-25

Dickinson gone by 2024-25

Lockwood, Rathbone, and Klimovich/Karlsson joins the team

Cap-MillerTraded.jpg.7aeeeb93f73d046f1d8d3e566b8e797d.jpg

There you go... a bit of room to breathe in 2024-25, and some good space in 2025-26.  However, Hughes' last year of his cheaper contract ends in 2026-27.  Expect he'll make $10M after that, so don't go crazy spending now lol

Ladies and gentleman... your 2024-25 VANCOUVER CANUCKS!

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Garland-Bo-Podkolzin

Motte-Chytil-Klimovich

4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Top4RHD

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

So?  Waddya think?  Huge upgrades worth it to wait 3 years from now for a window of about 2 or 3 years since Hughes will make top dollar then?

Edited by HKSR

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok, here we go, assume Miller is traded for a great package that includes Chytil and Schneider from the NYR. 

The plan apparently is to wait 2 years for the core to develop and really GO FOR IT in 3 years (2024-25)

Here's the rosy picture...

Re-signings

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Petey at $9.5M AAV (seems like most of you think he's gonna hit his potential without Miller around)

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge)

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge)

Schneider at $5M AAV (if he turns into that stud defenceman)

Trades and Movement

Pearson gone by 2024-25

Dickinson gone by 2024-25

Cap-MillerTraded.jpg.7aeeeb93f73d046f1d8d3e566b8e797d.jpg

There you go... a bit of room to breathe in 2024-25, and some good space in 2025-26.  However, Hughes' last year of his cheaper contract ends in 2026-27.  Expect he'll make $10M after that, so don't go crazy spending now lol

Ladies and gentleman... your 2024-25 VANCOUVER CANUCKS!

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Garland-Bo-Podkolzin

Motte-Chytil-Klimovich

4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Top4RHD

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

So?  Waddya think?  Huge upgrades worth it to wait 3 years from now for a window of about 2 or 3 years since Hughes will make top dollar then?

I think this is an upgrade. Having a solid partner for Hughes to grow with, not to mention the trade with Miller could also bring in a 1st who may be pushing for that top 9 wing, or top 4 D spot. 5 ish million instead of 1.5 ish in cap is also a huge advantage. Not to mentioned we may be over paying Miller in this later years if his production dips, which at least in my opinion is more likely then not. I think Miller will be good, but imo this is his peak.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If it's well over $7M but under $8M, then I think the Canucks brass will get him signed.  With what he brings, even if he regresses to a 0.75 PPG player at 33 to 35 yo, he's still putting up 60pts+ while bringing all the other intangibles and let's not forget the cap will go up significantly by then.

5 years at 7.5 would be fine. That locks him up for six.

And here we are, the big 4 year plan that some of you are touting when Petey and Hughes are really rocking in their prime along with Demko.  Assume Miller is traded for a great package that includes Chytil and Schneider from the NYR. 

Re-signings

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge) then up to $4.5M AAV

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge) then up to $4.5M AAV

Schneider at $5M AAV then up to $7M AAV when he really hits his potential

Hughes at $10M AAV since he's gonna be a superstar by then

Demko at $8M AAV (a steal!)

Cap2027-29.jpg.3183f7a4d01fd5e1793db653cfc569da.jpg

UH OH... cap problems... who goes and who stays when the Canucks are ready for a Cup?! 

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-Chytil-Klimovich

4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Top4 RHD

Rathbone-Poolman

Demko

• Cheers 1

I would trade Petey and Garland. Plus anyone who is not listed below.

Boeser          Miller        size/speed

Hog               Horvat      size/speed

speed           size/speed    Podz

Motte           Lammikko   size/ physical

Hughes         OEL

Meyers      mobile/defensive         

physical     mobile/defensive

Edited by appleboy

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would trade Petey and Garland. Plus anyone who is not listed below.

Boeser          Miller        ---------

Hog               Horvat      --------

----------          ---------      Podz

Motte           Lammikko   ---------

Hughes         OEL

----------          Meyers

----------          -----------

So you trade ep for what? Prospect picks? Or another struggling prospect or a player with less upside? However u look at it won't help the team in ur Miller win now.. and who's dumb enough to trade for ur Dickenson and poolman without u adding sweeteners? All the players not listed above will be traded to a contender? So u are getting draft picks and prospect back? So we gonna fill every single hole thru free agency? So how does that help the team compete in the Miller prime years?

Still fail to see how any of you guys think Miller will sign for any less than any of his comparable when they are all at 8.5 and above. If this was a legit cup contender maybe lol.. you think Miller see this team as a legit cup contender?

We need to lock Miller, but we need to trade Boeser for a real difference maker. 
Boeser to Minny for Fiala. (We may add)

next sign Horvat and get ride of Dickinson Pearson and Poolman.

Make a last attempt to Tryamkin. Give him Poolman money.

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

So you trade ep for what? Prospect picks? Or another struggling prospect or a player with less upside? However u look at it won't help the team in ur Miller win now.. and who's dumb enough to trade for ur Dickenson and poolman without u adding sweeteners? All the players not listed above will be traded to a contender? So u are getting draft picks and prospect back? So we gonna fill every single hole thru free agency? So how does that help the team compete in the Miller prime years?

Still fail to see how any of you guys think Miller will sign for any less than any of his comparable when they are all at 8.5 and above. If this was a legit cup contender maybe lol.. you think Miller see this team as a legit cup contender?

The blanks would be filled with something we don't have now !!!!!!    There is no use putting names in when you have no idea who you would get back.  Right?

You would obviously get one nhl ready player from each player. Preferably a young player still on their elc.  Plus picks or players still in junior.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The blanks would be filled with something we don't have now !!!!!!    There is no use putting names in when you have no idea who you would get back.  Right?

You would obviously get one nhl ready player from each player. Preferably a young player still on their elc.  Plus picks or players still in junior.

So any NHL ready player would prolly be a downgrade over what u have now + prospect. So probably nothing that will help this team be a cup contender the next couple of years. And fill the rest with ufa.. what ufa coming up u see fitting those slots? 

I don't know.........I am not confident in this core getting it done when it comes right down to it. We are light, not very fast, inconsistent and we still have no identity. How long do we wait to get these guys going? Are we still waiting for the 649 line to come back to being our savior? 

We are having trouble scoring and that has been an issue for a very long time. We are not very heavy and we are going to pay for it in the playoffs, if we ever make it there. :)

We have no "gamers" who can turn a game around all on their own. We are not playing like a Unit and there is no chemistry. Heck games are not even entertaining most nights there's just no emotion from very many players. When they are on the bench they are too busy watching themselves how they did on their last shift on the ipad. 

Demko, Hughes and OEL are pretty consistent but apart from that, we have to wait until one of our top 6 decides to play exceptional for a few periods. Most nights they are playing half fast and give up on plays such as the one Miller did the other night in O/T. 

I wouldn't be surprised if any of our top guys get traded and I probably won't miss them too much either if they do. 

We finally have a good coach and management group and we have a good core of D and goalies. Those forwards leave something to be desired and I don't feel they deserve the amounts of money that are being suggested here. Let the Laffs and Coilers deal with there pouty stars lets go back to the basics and get some big ,fast, energetic players who want to play every night. If we find a "gamer" then fine pay him the big bucks, but I don't see that player in the group we have right now, TBH. 

You think we would have learned from all the money that has been thrown out to players where it came back to bite us. I don't think I need to mention their names as we all know who they are. ::D

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Here's what a 4 year plan COULD look like keeping everybody we have and yet still upgrading our defence on the right hand side.

Shows we don't NEED to trade anybody in the core and still be able to improve our roster.  Hamonic should be back next year with covid hopefully in the rear view mirror.  He walks and then we can make our UFA signing of a stay at home RHD like Mayfield for 2023-24.

Re-signings

JT Mller at $8.5M AAV

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Petey at $8.5M AAV

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge)

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge)

Trades and Movement

Pearson traded by 2023-24

Dickinson traded by 2023-24

Poolman traded by 2023-24

UFA Signing in 2023-24:  Scott Mayfield or equivalent RHD for $4.5M AAV

Cap-4RHD.jpg.1ca43510f51a1cb033c6f87bcf13505f.jpg

Lines by 2023-24:

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Podz-Miller-Motte

Garland-Bo-Klimovich

ELC/4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Mayfield

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

EDIT:  If you're interested, I did the same exercise assuming Miller is traded for Chytil and Schneider here for comparison:

While your math appears within reason, the reality is that JR WILL NOT maintain this roster "as-is".    Uncle Jim B's roster has brought us nothing but bottom of the league finishes for almost 10 years and I honestly doubt that Aqua-Lini allowed all the recent changes to be made with the expectation that those 'bottom of the barrel results" would continue.

You can rest assurred that our new management team will and has been closely assessing our strengths & weaknesses and will make substantial changes to this team - including to the core because facts and results speak volumes and the current assembly of players are average at best and unable to produce the results needed.   So while I appreciate your attachment and loyalty to the current roster of players, you should prepare yourself for the inevitable change that is coming.  Sorry to burst your balloon !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While your math appears within reason, the reality is that JR WILL NOT maintain this roster "as-is".    Uncle Jim B's roster has brought us nothing but bottom of the league finishes for almost 10 years and I honestly doubt that Aqua-Lini allowed all the recent changes to be made with the expecation that those 'bottom of the barrel results" would continue.

You can rest assurred that our new management team will and has been closely assessing our strenths & weaknesses and will make substantial changes to this team - including the core because facts and results speak volumes and the current assembly of players are average at best and unable to produce the results needed.   So while I appreciate your attachment and loyalty to the current roster of players, you should prepare yourself for the inevitable change that is coming.

The thing is, as I mentioned previously to another poster, the Sedins just left 3 years ago... so we had 2018-19, 2019-20, and 2020-21 prior to this season to start transitioning into the new core.  2 out of those 3 seasons were Hughes and Petey's rookie years (the 2 franchise pillars for this core). 

So really, we've given this core 3 seasons and already calling for heads to roll.  Not to mention one of those 3 was a messed up covid year. 

3 years people.  3.  Not 10. 

• Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Using that same logic, many players have actually regressed over this period (Boeser and EP40 to start with - amongst many others) and the results of this year will likely be no different than last year and the year before that with a bottom 10 finish,  Also, using covid as a reason might be acceptable if we were the only team in the entire NHL to suffer its effects but were not, as every other team has been hit in one way or another by C-19 and somehow they managed to perform better than us.   

By the sounds of it, you're very heavily invested in our current roster and I would strongly suggest you prepare yourself for what's coming because it is all but 100% certain there will be MAJOR CHANGES made by JR because this current assembly of players are not getting the job done and haven't for over 10 years. 

As far as I'm concerned and I suspect JR too, only Demko and QH are untouchable - everyone else is being assessed for potential value.

omg, this current assembly of players have not even been together for 10 years!  LMAO!  Talk about completely missing the point.

This current assembly of players have been slowly assembled over 3 years.  They haven't even had a chance to show what they can do TOGETHER yet. 

Love them, but the Sedins should have been moved on from a long time ago.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

omg, this current assembly of players have not even been together for 10 years!  LMAO!  Talk about completely missing the point.

This current assembly of players have been slowly assembled over 3 years.  They haven't even had a chance to show what they can do TOGETHER yet. 

Love them, but the Sedins should have been moved on from a long time ago.

That's not the point (I'm refering to JB's inabilty to put together a winning roster for almost 10 years) but rather than continue going in circles, let me conclude by saying that I agree 100% with you that the Sedins overstayed their welcome and usefulness!

Cheers!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 3

As I mentioned in other threads, the biggest hockey mistake made by J.B. and the ownership was to bet on the core players (especially Pettersson and Boeser) as well as some of our young players (e.g. Virtanen and Gaudette) to take the next step in their development and put the team on their shoulders. Pettersson and Boeser have failed miserably not as young players but as franchise players. Had J.B. and ownership known that their bet was premature they would have taken a very different approach. 

If J.B. ever gets another G.M. job he would likely preach patience to the ownership even if the core players on that team have exceeded expectations early on. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1