The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Terrible customer care thread

Gurn

A couple of years back I bought a Anti- virus program from  one of the "big" net security outfits.

Last year they auto renewed me for $89.00; which was a surprised as I did not recollect asking to be renewed. Since they went through Pay Pal I tried to get it stopped, but couldn't. I did manage to ensure that the  virus company couldn't get anymore of my money from Pay Pal, so all is good.

Today I get an email from the Virus people saying my auto renewal is about to kick in at $89.99; so this time I go through a rather strange procedure to cancel the auto renewal.

All good- except they send me to a page that offers to sell me the Virus protection program for $29.99(for one year, then back to $89.99)

download.jpg.d5e0af52c2514e78090e343882e56d55.jpg

so, they will give me $60 off the price, because I'm leaving; but couldn't offer it to me, and everybody at $29.99.

Jerks.

I cancelled and am now looking for a new anti virus company.

I've got about a month  and a half to find one.

• Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

A couple of years back I bought a Anti- virus program from  one of the "big" net security outfits.

Last year they auto renewed me for $89.00; which was a surprised as I did not recollect asking to be renewed. Since they went through Pay Pal I tried to get it stopped, but couldn't. I did manage to ensure that the  virus company couldn't get anymore of my money from Pay Pal, so all is good.

Today I get an email from the Virus people saying my auto renewal is about to kick in at $89.99; so this time I go through a rather strange procedure to cancel the auto renewal.

All good- except they send me to a page that offers to sell me the Virus protection program for $29.99(for one year, then back to $89.99)

so, they will give me $60 off the price, because I'm leaving; but couldn't offer it to me, and everybody at $29.99.

Jerks.

I hear from the ex president of the United States that injecting disinfectant is great anti- virus protection.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I hear from the ex president of the United States that injecting disinfectant is great anti- virus protection.

Yet there's a large chunk of people that still worships everything he does. That's the sad thing. 

As PT Barnam supposedly said: "There's a sucker born every minute.". 

Mine is speaking to a bylaw supervisor in Vancouver. A few years ago my Motorcycle was stolen. Reported it stolen, made my claim with ICBC. I should have known. They found it all smashed up and vandalized in Burnaby. RCMP tells me ICBC had my motorcycle licence plate. I talk with my adjuster they said they claim centre has my motorcycle and 

they were writing it off, and they had the licence plate. Fast forward 3 months later. I get a pair of parking tickets from Vancouver with my motorcycle plate but attached to a different motorcycle. 

I contact the bylaw supervisor. Tell him my motorcycle was stolen and they stole my licence plate and I had cancelled my insurance, and I have both the police report and the ICBC claim number, and it wasn't my motorcycle they ticketed. Supervisor didn't care, and said "The tickets stand, go ahead and dispute it!".

I was livid. I schedule an adjudication. Take a day off of work. I was the second case of the day. The Adjudicator said "Oh I see you have another case this afternoon". 

He nicely was going to deal with both cases at once. He hears my case. Before I even give him the copies of my paperwork. He goes. "This isn't your motorcycle is it?"

Because he can tell the difference on the ticket between a Yamaha and a Kawasaki. "No sir." I reply. 

He threw out both tickets. I thanked him profusely. I was happy, but still angry at the Bylaw supervisor for being so stupid, for just not listening. Wasted everyones time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet there's a large chunk of people that still worships everything he does. That's the sad thing. 

As PT Barnam supposedly said: "There's a sucker born every minute.". 

Mine is speaking to a bylaw supervisor in Vancouver. A few years ago my Motorcycle was stolen. Reported it stolen, made my claim with ICBC. I should have known. They found it all smashed up and vandalized in Burnaby. RCMP tells me ICBC had my motorcycle licence plate. I talk with my adjuster they said they claim centre has my motorcycle and 

they were writing it off, and they had the licence plate. Fast forward 3 months later. I get a pair of parking tickets from Vancouver with my motorcycle plate but attached to a different motorcycle. 

I contact the bylaw supervisor. Tell him my motorcycle was stolen and they stole my licence plate and I had cancelled my insurance, and I have both the police report and the ICBC claim number, and it wasn't my motorcycle they ticketed. Supervisor didn't care, and said "The tickets stand, go ahead and dispute it!".

I was livid. I schedule an adjudication. Take a day off of work. I was the second case of the day. The Adjudicator said "Oh I see you have another case this afternoon". 

He nicely was going to deal with both cases at once. He hears my case. Before I even give him the copies of my paperwork. He goes. "This isn't your motorcycle is it?"

Because he can tell the difference on the ticket between a Yamaha and a Kawasaki. "No sir." I reply. 

He threw out both tickets. I thanked him profusely. I was happy, but still angry at the Bylaw supervisor for being so stupid, for just not listening. Wasted everyones time. 

Dealing with bureauCRAZY  sucks. 

What sort of bike do you ride now ?

I have a Triumph Roadie.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Dealing with bureauCRAZY  sucks. 

What sort of bike do you ride now ?

I have a Triumph Roadie.

Until I move and have a parking lot that is well monitored I'm not going to have a bike now. 

I really want a Street Triple from Triumph. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Jerks.

This is how they work.  You need to read every fine print.

• Upvote 1

Anti-virus with windows 10 and beyond is kinda pointless as windows already does a pretty job protecting you against the typical viruses you will encounter.

Anything more modern is first more exotic to encounter and anti virus program does little to prevent them.

Like VPN, anti-virus trumps up their security benefits even when they do very little in that regard.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Toni Zamboni said:

ive been using my mac for 10 years, no virus software needed.

but i feel you on the stupidity of some of these cs people, can be so frustrating sometimes dealing with that kinda bs.

Haven't Apple products had built-in propriertory anti-virus software built-in it's operating system for around the last decade?  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Haven't Apple products had built-in propriertory anti-virus software built-in it's operating system for around the last decade?  

Well it is more like people code virus for windows which has way larger install base and potential victims compared to apple/linux.

Virus programed for windows can't run on unix os for the most part so less likely to ever have working virus on it.

All os has built in proprietary anti-virus. Windows' just sucked for good part of the last three decade.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Jerks.

Sounds like someone bought Norton.....

Like 24K said, Windows Defender pretty much covers Anti Virus these days.

Still, if you want some extra protection, this is a solid app and it's free :

https://www.avast.com/en-ca/lp-ppc-aone-compare?ppc_code=012&ppc=a&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06nSh_Hi9QIVkh6tBh2PDwLCEAAYAiAAEgIpX_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#pc

You'll deal with the company trying to upgrade you to the pay version, but it's not automatic and you can just ignore it.

Another good app to have is Malwarebytes: https://try.malwarebytes.com/get-premium/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncL9q_Li9QIVwhx9Ch1B5wNeEAAYASAAEgK7aPD_BwE

• Thanks 2

As everyone  has said, Windows 10/11 built in antivirus will do a fine job. If you want an extra layer of protection without paying a cent, I suggest Kaspersky Security Cloud (free edition) - I find it does a good job monitoring for bad links and it'll actually tell you before you click if it's suspicious.

• Upvote 1

I think this fits the topic…

We were in our rv at a very remote Provincial campground and it would not start - completely dead. Ironically it was booked in for service at a Ford dealership in Burnaby for that very day. I phoned to let them know we wouldn’t be able to make our appointment but they were closed for a Covid outbreak and there was only an emergency number. I called the number to ask if we could have it towed to their location for when they re-opened as we had nowhere else to take it to that day.

The lady I talked to said “absolutely not and by the way we don’t service rvs.” I said that that was strange as we already had an appointment and had had it in there twice previously for service. I was told categorically that was untrue so I gave her the service technician’s name that we always dealt with. She told us that she wasn’t  interested in having his name since she would know because she was the service manager. 

First and only time I’ve been told that I was lying about having an appointment booked and that they had never serviced the vehicle. I felt like slapping her upside the head with my past receipts!

Found the dealership in Langley who went out of their way to get it in and when I went to pay (new battery and new starter) they told me that it was still covered under warranty so no charge. What a difference!

Edited by 4petesake
  • Upvote 1

going back a few years.

As a former deckhand, I found I needed a really good pair of sun glasses, and had purchased a pair of Serengeti  Aviators, which I wore for 5-6 years.

One night after getting home my sunglasses fell out of my pocket, and I drove over them the next morning. Hearing the crunch i stop and find that I've destroyed one lense and the frame is banged up.

So I go back to were I bought them, find another pair in the display rack and try to buy them.

The clerk won't sell them to me. I ask "why not" and am informed that those old glasses on display should have been taken down a couple of YEARS earlier as they no longer make them.; and since they don't make them they can't fix them if they break.

I pull out my damaged pair and ask if they can fix these? "No, can't fix them".

I'm a bit confused at this point . " so you can't fix my broken pair, but won't sell me a new pair that you also can't fix?"

I do manage to get a commitment that the clerk will talk to their head office and see if they can, in fact sell me a pair of aviators, so give my phone number.

After 2 weeks, having heard nothing,  I wander into the store, only to find out that nobody called the office to ask about the Aviators; and the display pair are still on display- Ok let me buy them.  "No" is the reply.

I walked out, went to a different store and bought some Maui Jim's. I've bought 2 pairs since, from the new place.

The original IRIS store is no longer there-I guess the sales revenue wasn't good enough to keep them open?

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, gurn said:

Jerks.

cool story, bro.

I have an anti-virus program from Kaspersky (from Russia, but very reliable and cheap). It comes at 39 Euro per year. Don't know if Kaspersky is also available in North America.

I guess it is.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gurn said:

Jerks.

buy a Mac next time. I did 12 years ago and have never looked back. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Many years ago, I was playing in a band in PG. One of our guitar players had always wanted a 100 Watt Marshall head with a 4 x 10 cabinet.

In those days there was a crappy Mom and Pop music store in PG called B&B Music It was owned and operated by a family of condescending jerks, the worst of which was the son and defacto manager, Jay.

Since they were the only game in town, we had all spent a fair amount of money in the store and put up with them trying to steer us to Peavey gear. The one thing they always claimed was that they would match any price we could get from other music stores, so the guitarist (Joe) decided to give that a shot. He got a verbal quote from Axe Music in Edmonton for the Marshall combo. (Don't remember what the price was, but it was a pretty good deal, since his brother had bought an entire PA system from them)

Joe takes the quote back to Jay, who looks him in the eye and says "You're lying." So that was the end of that.

A couple of weeks later, I'm talking to B&B's bookkeeper and told him the story. Then I showed him the invoice....from Axe Music....for the price that Joe had quoted....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yes, MACOS is a very closed system. It's not so much an anti-virus software, as it is that it's just harder to get programs to run on MACOS at all without Apple directly supporting it. That's great for some users, less to worry about. Windows, on the other hand, is super easy to get programs to run on them. It's great to be able to download whatever the heck you want (or even make simple tools yourself), but comes with risk.

More recently, both OSs have been moving towards some sort of middle ground though.

• Cheers 1