The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll and Comments on Trade Deadline Strategy

Rate this topic

JamesB

Canuck Strategy at the Trade Deadline  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's finally starting to score a little more now that Boudreau has had time with him.  Realistically, it will probably be next year before the damage Green caused is fully undone.  I'd rather give him the opportunity rather than write him off just because of Green's incompetence and lack of professionalism.

Have your never had a boss that was sabotaging your career?

Putting it all on Green is a bit of stretch IMO..EP was money his first year, top notch,... 2nd year he was also really good (who was his coach then BTW). Third year was OK but started to see a drop off, but then he got injured that year so...??. This year a totally different player. It's not just the drop in stats it's his offensive play in general (defensive is still ok I think). He bobbles the puck, misses a lot of plays and just is not the dominant, dynamic player he was the first couple of years. Like someone said the Canucks have to figure out what he is, not what he was and that's tough to do (Can you say us on Cam Neely or Pittsburgh on Naslund). One more year I think for management to figure that out.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We've got some longer shots that are likely bottom/mid 6 C's in Europe (maybe one becomes a 2C?), and I'd love to get Barron back from a Rangers deal but he's also probably bottom 6.

But again, this all doesn't get sorted overnight.

Maybe in two years, after fixing our D and adding Schneider and Jiricek at the draft, one of our existing long shots like Jurmo (or other), hits big and we can trade one of those three guys for a top C and slide Pettersson to W? I don't know man, I don't have a crystal ball.

That doesn't change that you need to start taking rights steps now, so you can make more later. Even if there are no assurances and it's scary. You can't let indecision, rooted in fear of the unknown, rule your decision making.

And we don't fix the clear structural and succession issues this team has, by keeping Miller. Full stop. IMO, we get worse the next couple seasons trying to slap more money on clinging to the current, not good enough, team.

We start there and keep making good, smart choices from there.

I get your point, I do. 

What would bum me out is if Miler turns out to be another Pavelski or a playoff beast and we missed out. 

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I get your point, I do. 

What would bum me out is if Miler turns out to be another Pavelski or a playoff beast and we missed out. 

Pavelski wanted to stay in SJ.  Is Miller attached to here like Joe was to SJ?  

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I get your point, I do. 

So long as we get a good return and build our own contention team from it in a few years, who cares? Go Rangers, hope them and Miller win it this year.

• Upvote 1

The cap structure is a mess. Too much money locked up in mid level players. Benning never learned from his mistakes. I can't see Allvin clearing enough cap to resign Miller, Boeser , Motte and Horvat. Then Petey the year after. Let alone adding enough players to make this team competitive.

Lets say we are 3 years away. Hughes will be coming into his prime. Petey also if they even trust that he can become a number one center. Miller would be 31. 

There is a lot to dissect. 

I worry about what I see in Petey. Not being sure we have our number one center changes everything for me.  Miller , Boeser ,Garland,  Meyers , Pearson and Dickinson would be all on the block for me.  I would be checking to see if Horvat would resign .

Moving them would depend on whether it was possible to get an A level prospect for each plus. Is it even possible to flip them for several pieces each.  A player for player deal makes no sense for guys like Miller . If they can get an A prospect and two other pieces then you could turn this team around real fast.

Edited by appleboy
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Well Green threw the players under the bus for things that were clearly his fault, and gifted unearned roster spots to his pet plugs.  Do you want a coach with serious character issues anywhere near your locker room?  Add in the fact that he couldn't even set the lineup properly and it's pretty obvious he is the root cause of the problem.  Bruce has specifically said that effort isn't the issue.

Your right  tg was a tool.  But Elias Pettersson bad play isn't because of green. 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Full and accurate thumb nail analysis of the whole team.  Bottom line, the only viable moves are Miller and Garland.

And Motte.

*And Halak, if he wants to.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, nergish said:

Rutherford should know from watching the team that Miller, Garland, and Motte are our most impactful forwards; yet something’s telling me they’re all getting traded.

He should also know if we can re-sign Motte for $1.5-$2m or not. If not...

And likely already knows Miller isn't realistic to retain given the clear structural and succession issues we have coming up (see: my post on page one). And if he's not in the long term plans...

Garland I think they likely hang on to, unless they get an offer they can't refuse. I doubt they're actively shopping him, but they're likely actively listening. The right return and the cap space...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All depends on how we play the next 4-6 weeks. We've got 18 games in that span, a lot of them at home and a lot against teams worse than us. Realistically if we beat the teams we should and lose to the top teams we'll go something like 11-7, maybe say 11-6-1 if we're being nice. That leaves us at a points % of 0.53 and right now, you need around .600 (although Anaheim is on .57) to make the playoffs if not better. Right now it looks like that means around 6-8 games above .500 hockey.

I think this is a new phase of the season for the Canucks and the next 18 games dictates what happens. If we're even vaguely in the mix, I think management will stand pat. They have no rush with Boeser or Miller and can decide on their futures in the off-season or even next year.

Regardless, we're certainly not buyers at the moment with hardly any prospects or picks and you know JR and management will want to fix this somehow but this may even happen at the draft.

Right now the odds are against us making the playoffs, sure, but we really just want to play meaningful games in March as a first step and Bruce has allowed us to do this. The Pacific teams may seem like they're pulling away from us but they're going to be tired teams who have to play almost every other night as they try to cram games in and that'll lead to a lot of back-to-backs which they'll lose, so there's always a chance. The schedule is in our favour for the rest of the season, honestly anything could happen so I hope we don't blow it up at the TDL.

11 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I get you hate Green, but where is your proof Green wrecked him and Ep didn't do it on his own lack of commitment?

That is just making excuses for EP

Did Green or Bruce tell him to no longer back check or stay planted and not move around and shoot wide all the time, fumble the puck etc?

EP played like a all star under Green up until this year when he got his raise

Benning was quoted last Spring that signing Green was a high priority BECAUSE the players liked playing for him and trusted him

To just state he was cancer ,where is your proof, especially since Benning said otherwise?

I am just glad we got some new change in direction from the top down and hopefully make us an elite team once again

The games I watched had Petey stationed on right side with Hughes, Miller and Boeser roaming on the left side and often score goals without involving Petey.

That isn’t the way Petey likes to play.

He is a player that like to confuse the oppo. Change everything, to be creative 

So how can it be Peteys fault? 
Even Miller bragged that he told Petey how to play wich is interesting because Petey got better numbers before Miller interfered. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, JM_ said:

I get your point, I do. 

Pavelski is a goal scorer ... i'd be sure miffed too if we missed out on the 300 or so he's scored since he was Millers age.   Had an incredible career really.   One thing i will say about covid - yes it's taking away some points that guys like him and Ovi could of got, but like Jagr missing time - and leaving to the KHL - it's also likely prolonging their careers.  

The 82 game grind starts to add up ... for most guys and little reprieve for sure helps heal the body.     I don't see Miller doing the same thing...what i do see is Miller having some good years until 33/34 that's usually the norm for blue chip forwards...and it's also likely we've already seen the best as well (his first year with us was his best year to date -food for thought, 17th, although he's in the race again this year and could match it with some boffo multi-point games...).

Who knows though it's a gamble either way.    This fan base watched their best regular season team ever get dismantled without much of any return.   It cost us time - but it still looks like we need more of that anyways.  I'd be happy keeping Miller on a team friendly UFA deal - or be happy trading him for futures and some NHL ready primo prospects or a bit of both.    What i won't be happy with is cap strapping our team again just when we are breaking through this part of our cycle.    Don't have a magic ball - but EP might be the better trade chip ... and maybe the smart thing to do is absolutely nothing other then minor tweaks - and let all of this go to next years TDL.    We'd have a better idea of what the heck is going on with EP and whether that's our trade chip.   And how Podz/Hogs are progressing as well. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Pavelski is a goal scorer ... i'd be sure miffed too if we missed out on the 300 or so he's scored since he was Millers age.   Had an incredible career really.   One thing i will say about covid - yes it's taking away some points that guys like him and Ovi could of got, but like Jagr missing time - and leaving to the KHL - it's also likely prolonging their careers.  

The 82 game grind starts to add up ... for most guys and little reprieve for sure helps heal the body.     I don't see Miller doing the same thing...what i do see is Miller having some good years until 33/34 that's usually the norm for blue chip forwards...and it's also likely we've already seen the best as well (his first year with us was his best year to date -food for thought, 17th, although he's in the race again this year and could match it with some boffo multi-point games...).

Who knows though it's a gamble either way.    This fan base watched their best regular season team ever get dismantled without much of any return.   It cost us time - but it still looks like we need more of that anyways.  I'd be happy keeping Miller on a team friendly UFA deal - or be happy trading him for futures and some NHL ready primo prospects or a bit of both.    What i won't be happy with is cap strapping our team again just when we are breaking through this part of our cycle.    Don't have a magic ball - but EP might be the better trade chip ... and maybe the smart thing to do is absolutely nothing other then minor tweaks - and let all of this go to next years TDL.    We'd have a better idea of what the heck is going on with EP and whether that's our trade chip.   And how Podz/Hogs are progressing as well. 

There's two main things behind my (relatively new) resistance to moving Miller:

1. We know what he is. Having a known quantity to bet on is worth a lot, given how much risk there is in this game with contracts. 

2. I worry about losing quality C depth.

Sure there are lots of C's out there people say... but look how hard its been for us to replace Sutter. How do we expect to replace Miller if we can't even land a 3C? I'm also not sure Petey is a safe bet for 2C anymore. 

I'm also not convinced that we don't have other avenues to upgrade the right side d, like moving Boeser and other cap clearing moves with lesser players.

So yes, the last 2-3 years of Millers deal might stink, but if we have a contending window starting next year I'm fine with that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

There's two main things behind my (relatively new) resistance to moving Miller:

1. We know what he is. Having a known quantity to bet on is worth a lot, given how much risk there is in this game with contracts. 

2. I worry about losing quality C depth.

Sure there are lots of C's out there people say... but look how hard its been for us to replace Sutter. How do we expect to replace Miller if we can't even land a 3C? I'm also not sure Petey is a safe bet for 2C anymore. 

I'm also not convinced that we don't have other avenues to upgrade the right side d, like moving Boeser and other cap clearing moves with lesser players.

So yes, the last 2-3 years of Millers deal might stink, but if we have a contending window starting next year I'm fine with that. 

I feel the same.  It's a trade off for the future really.   I don't personally feel we can win a cup with the current lineup.   And at the same time feel and hope IF we can make the playoffs we can do some damage.   Only because of teams in the past and not so recently that have.   IF our core was carrying the mail right now - which they are most certainly not,  i'd be 100% opposed to trading Miller.   Sucks that isn't happening.    To me we wait and give this team a chance to make it work under Bruce - right to the TDL unless something comes up that is just to good to pass up on.   Because IF they can make the playoffs we are one very scary dark horse.    We always have the off season and the draft.    And the next TDL.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I feel the same.  It's a trade off for the future really.   I don't personally feel we can win a cup with the current lineup.   And at the same time feel and hope IF we can make the playoffs we can.   Only because of teams in the past and not so recently that have.   IF our core was carrying the mail right now - which they are most certainly not,  i'd be 100% opposed to trading Miller.   Sucks that isn't happening.    To me we wait and give this team a chance to make it work under Bruce - right to the TDL unless something comes up that is just to good to pass up on.   Because IF they can make the playoffs we are one very scary dark horse.    We always have the off season and the draft.    And when next TDL.  

well, the current core is killing it GA 5 on 5 and we have a true #1 goalie. 

We're too soft and we suck on the PP. To me those seem like solvable issues that don't require losing our best F. 

Moving Pearson, Hamonic, Halak's bonus nets us about 7.5 mil in cap space that we can use to bulk up the F group, and we do have F depth in Utica. 

Trade Boeser for the right side d upgrade. I love Boeser but JB may have given us an unworkable contract situation with him.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1