The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll and Comments on Trade Deadline Strategy

Rate this topic

JamesB

Canuck Strategy at the Trade Deadline  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JR said, this team isn't  constructed right. that isn't on the coach.  even  BB keeps changing lines, trying to find something that works.  green may not have been perfect but he doesn't deserve the hate on here. the difference between bruce and travis is that green coached a more structured style where bruce lets players, play to their strenghs.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

He should also know if we can re-sign Motte for $1.5-$2m or not. If not...

And likely already knows Miller isn't realistic to retain given the clear structural and succession issues we have coming up (see: my post on page one). And if he's not in the long term plans...

Garland I think they likely hang on to, unless they get an offer they can't refuse. I doubt they're actively shopping him, but they're likely actively listening. The right return and the cap space...

Miller would get several assets in return so I would suggest that he could be used to fill holes in the lineup like RHD and the 3C.  So more of a hockey trade with similar cap going each way.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Garland go for a 2nd and nothing else.  The real ruturn being cap relief.

• Haha 1

What we have doesn’t work not to mention we are 
capped out and have an empty prospect pool.

time  to retool,cash in on high value vets and pending ufas that won’t be resigning. 

with Bruce there have been vast  improvements but the roster is a problem its not good enough and lacks nhl depth at almost every position. 

As far as EP  I remember when Calgarys  little Johnny hockey missed training camp with a contract issue he sucked that year and he’s not alone in that situation . 
People ready to give up on him most likely the same ones that wanted the sedins traded after a few years of struggling or were whining about Hughes  play just last year. 

It’s time to Sell high

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:21 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As long as the Canucks look close in contention for a wildcard spot, I don't think Allvin can trade off major pieces as it sends a message

I disagree with this.

It would have been true with Benning I imagine.  He stated every year, bar one, our goal was to make the play off's.  

Rutherford was inheriting a team that got a GM fired. The coach as well. In JR own words we're at the cap, and not a competitor.  He would have covered that they had to make changes & roughly what they looked like when hired. If any key players take it as a ''message'' and do not intend to re-sign?  1st out the door...

Maybe it will be the case in two years there will be pressure to perform.   Right now he has a window to restructure.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Timråfan said:

The games I watched had Petey stationed on right side with Hughes, Miller and Boeser roaming on the left side and often score goals without involving Petey.

That isn’t the way Petey likes to play.

He is a player that like to confuse the oppo. Change everything, to be creative 

So how can it be Peteys fault? 
Even Miller bragged that he told Petey how to play wich is interesting because Petey got better numbers before Miller interfered. 

I must have missed that press release?

Miller is the coach of the EP and the team ?

Is Miller the one responsible for teaching EP to no longer back checking with a vengeance, much like himself in OT?

Not something to be bragging about :rolleyes:

On 2/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As long as the Canucks look close in contention for a wildcard spot, I don't think Allvin can trade off major pieces as it sends a message that they are rebuilding which could sour certain players. May even make certain players want to leave and not resign with this group. I think even though in reality they are a middling group, JR and Allvin will allow this team to try and fight its way into the playoffs. 

I think if they continue to be around the playoff picture, the more major deals like Miller, Boeser, Garland etc will come in the offseason. Guys like Motte, Halak, etc will likely be the pieces that will be used to gain picks and younger pieces.

How long are we happy with the bar being "fighting for a playoff spot" or "contending for a wildcard spot". Rutherford uses a term that's pretty important, he says contending but instead of meaning for a low seed playoff spot he means against the top teams in the league, for a Stanley cup. The bar can't be squeaking into the last place seed or "playing meaningful games in March" anymore. That's why we see no progression in the team, because in the past if we were fighting for a chance or there was any glimmer of hope in squeaking into the playoffs we would stand pat or trade a pick for a veteran to help us get to the post season. At a certain point you have to aim higher. you have to stop the cycle...... and right now this team is in a cycle of mediocrity and maybe making the playoffs, fighting for a chance, .500 team with no cap room. Fans deserve better.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

You don't move guys like Garland for cap relief IMO. You get value, or you keep them. I'd rather pay some mid pick etc to move an ill-fitting Dickinson than take a bath on Garland's value.

My speculation but to be sure, there will be moves that people don't like.  Rutherford and Allvin have permission to do what needs to be done to take this team to the next level.  Benning was clearly floundering and the Rutherford team have proved that they know how to take a team to the next level.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

My speculation but to be sure, there will be moves that people don't like.  Rutherford and Allvin have permission to do what needs to be done to take this team to the next level.  Benning was clearly floundering and the Rutherford team have proved that they know how to take a team to the next level.

There will be demand for Garland.  

Unpopular moves which may happen might be Horvat or Miller. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Comes down to being honest about what/where you are at the deadline IMO.

As evidenced by this pole, our presidents comments, and anyone with eyeballs... We're not a contender. Sell what doesn't fit the long term plans and is realistic to move, and keep building until we are.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

We need to start to migrate to a team that in two or three years will be big, strong on the puck, fast, talented and peaking.  

We probably need to turn over half the roster to be built right.  Sell high/buy talent low and develop players.  

Florida picked up Duclair, Bennett and Reinhardt over the last year and play all three in their core forwards.  Duclair was a fringe player with talent, Bennett was underperforming and unmotivated, Reinhardt showed talent on a bad team.  All are awesome in Florida. 

The Canucks have core pieces.  But lack the correct fillers and Green and Benning let some of those type of players slip through their fingers.  Hopefully this changes now and we start to build the correct pieces.  We need end up similar to Florida or Carolina.  

A lot of changes are coming. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As long as the Canucks look close in contention for a wildcard spot, I don't think Allvin can trade off major pieces as it sends a message that they are rebuilding which could sour certain players. May even make certain players want to leave and not resign with this group. I think even though in reality they are a middling group, JR and Allvin will allow this team to try and fight its way into the playoffs. 

I think if they continue to be around the playoff picture, the more major deals like Miller, Boeser, Garland etc will come in the offseason. Guys like Motte, Halak, etc will likely be the pieces that will be used to gain picks and younger pieces.

Still think this is ultimately what we are going to see at the deadline, the more the Canucks remain in the playoff picture, the more likely I think we stand pat and perhaps make minor moves to tinker with cap flexibility or depth moves for the future.

At this point, considering how hard this group has fought to be back in a playoff position, I can't see a major name moving out and used to upgrade this team until the summer. I could see the team trying to cut bait with Dickinson, Poolman, and Halak to trim the fat, but I can't see us really doing much more at this point. I expect a quiet trade deadline for this team come March 21.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, Crabcakes said:

Miller would get several assets in return so I would suggest that he could be used to fill holes in the lineup like RHD and the 3C.  So more of a hockey trade with similar cap going each way.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Garland go for a 2nd and nothing else.  The real ruturn being cap relief.

Good grief.   If Coleman and a bunch of other guys got traded for a first as a rental ... why do you think that?   To me it's almost certainly Brock vs Garland.   Brock as a rental RFA is going to get a lot more then that...arbitration .. and his understanding that cap didn't go up and that he's barely made that won't go well for him in negotiations no matter what teams he's got - at the same time he does have the pedigree.   If it comes to that we keep Garland.   He's got a massive bee in his bonnet and plays like it.   Best forward 5 x 5 plus minus since Bruce took over and only behind Miller 5 x 5 for points.   Take Brock off the power play and put him there instead and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the next Martin St. Louis.    Trade Brock first.  Garland for a second is a total joke.   That's what Motte would get us - same with Schenn, maybe Lammy too. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, aGENT said:

Comes down to being honest about what/where you are at the deadline IMO.

As evidenced by this pole, our presidents comments, and anyone with eyeballs... We're not a contender. Sell what doesn't fit the long term plans and is realistic to move, and keep building until we are.

aGENT both JRs and Alvin's comments suggest that they are looking at the long term too.   What have you done for me recently is for sure giving them pause but i agree that they need to be awfully careful.   Even Bruce's comments ... He's worked with superstars and said we don't even have ... gulp ... a Parise yet.    But did say QHs will be one if he isn't already and EP likely will get there too.    Its a pickle for sure.   

Edit:  Folks i'm going to say this now - I think Horvat will be traded, Miller signed and Brock too. 

Edit: Horvat to TO for Kerfoot, their two best prospects and a first.  Miller named Captain. 

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good grief.   If Coleman and a bunch of other guys got traded for a first as a rental ... why do you think that?   To me it's almost certainly Brock vs Garland.   Brock as a rental RFA is going to get a lot more then that...arbitration .. and his understanding that cap didn't go up and that he's barely made that won't go well for him in negotiations no matter what teams he's got - at the same time he does have the pedigree.   If it comes to that we keep Garland.   He's got a massive bee in his bonnet and plays like it.   Best forward 5 x 5 plus minus since Bruce took over and only behind Miller 5 x 5 for points.   Take Brock off the power play and put him there instead and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the next Martin St. Louis.    Trade Brock first.  Garland for a second is a total joke.   That's what Motte would get us - same with Schenn, maybe Lammy too. 

You're quoting me from more than a month ago and I was spit balling just like you are here.  My opinion on March 12?  I have no idea what they might do.  Which forward might they move to fix the defense?  I like them all.

Rutherford has said that as long as they are competitive, meaning have a realistic shot at the playoffs, and they still do, he's not going to make trades.  I don't expect anything to happen at the TDL.  There is great value for the entire teams development to be winning games at this point of the season.  The team is showing great character every time they come from behind to take the lead like last night v the Caps.  

We have 2 players who will be UFA's this year.  Motte and Halak.  Halak has said that he won't waive his NTC so I guess he walks.  Probably right into retirement imo.  Motte they need to sign or trade him.  There are no other options.

As for who do they move for cap relief and to fix the D?  Pick em.   

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You're quoting me from more than a month ago and I was spit balling just like you are here.  My opinion on March 12?  I have no idea what they might do.  Which forward might they move to fix the defense?  I like them all.

Rutherford has said that as long as they are competitive, meaning have a realistic shot at the playoffs, and they still do, he's not going to make trades.  I don't expect anything to happen at the TDL.  There is great value for the entire teams development to be winning games at this point of the season.  The team is showing great character every time they come from behind to take the lead like last night v the Caps.  

We have 2 players who will be UFA's this year.  Motte and Halak.  Halak has said that he won't waive his NTC so I guess he walks.  Probably right into retirement imo.  Motte they need to sign or trade him.  There are no other options.

As for who do they move for cap relief and to fix the D?  Pick em.   

Hey sorry Crabs...sorry...I like Garland.   Feel he's a keeper. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hey sorry Crabs...sorry...I like Garland.   Feel he's a keeper. 

No problem.  I can take criticism.  It's just that my thoughts on this have changed.  I used to be all aboard with trading Miller for example.  Now not so much.  

As I said earlier, I just don't know.  I get what they need to do but there are good arguments both ways with so many players.  The closer I look and the more time that goes by, the less sure I am of anything.  Even Pearson has had some good games

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

No problem.  I can take criticism.  It's just that my thoughts on this have changed.  I used to be all aboard with trading Miller for example.  Now not so much.  

As I said earlier, I just don't know.  I get what they need to do but there are good arguments both ways with so many players.  The closer I look and the more time that goes by, the less sure I am of anything.  Even Pearson has had some good games

I don't care where they are in the standings.

If you can fleece another team you do it all day long.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't worry most are just part of the flock. The concept of lookng and making your own mind up about player is foreign to most ( I plead not guilty) It was popular to believe trading JT was a good thing ( flock think) and now it's not popular ( flock think ) IMHO this concept of continually looking to the future is an off shoot of "the grass is always greener etc etc. Fans for some reason ( even after Juolevi and Virtanen ) think drafting a 1st round player some how = great success. It's not an automatic, little better than flipping a coin. The first move JR..PA is to clear some cap space ( how tthey get rid of Poolman on a long term contract is a cunundrum ) and scour the system that offer FA's .... NCAA, EU, CHL  Being Boeser of JT is dependent on what is offered, nothing to do with us  :lol:

Edited by Fred65