The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll and Comments on Trade Deadline Strategy

Rate this topic

JamesB

Canuck Strategy at the Trade Deadline  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, he has played himself out of the lineup, but the move to LTIR, is an obvious move for cap space.  A little concerning, if another 1st gets move for a rental. 

With Boudreau doing a good job earning points and the playoffs within reach - I am sure the itch to chase is there.   

No sense in spending a first round pick. This team is a bona fide playoff team next year with no rash changes or rentals. No desparate moves necessary. Fix up stuff in the off season. Deal with Dickinson and move a big contract to make cap room. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree - that type of deal would be excellent.  I'm not against Boeser.  We do need his scoring.  I just feel like he's not playing up to the contract that he will likely demand.  If this team wants to win a cup, guys like Miller and Boeser will have to step up and sign contracts that leave some money on the table.  I sure hope that happens.

Yeah, it will come down to the new crew and how they will sell, there plan to these [type of] players

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

No sense in spending a first round pick. This team is a bona fide playoff team next year with no rash changes or rentals. No desparate moves necessary. Fix up stuff in the off season. Deal with Dickinson and move a big contract to make cap room. 

Yeah.

Good chance, they stand pat and see how far JBs' roster will go.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah.

Good chance, they stand pat and see how far JBs' roster will go.

We've stood pat with JB's roster for the last eight years and where has it got us but bottom barrel finishes year after year after year!  Squeeking in the playoffs is no accomplishment to be be proud of.  This team needs surgery and JR has already spoken re: this, saying we need to get much faster, bigger and shed our infamous West Coast "Country-Club" mentality that Torts correctly pointed out! 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We've stood pat with JB's roster for the last eight years and where has it got us but bottom barrel finishes year after year after year!  Squeeking in the playoffs is no accomplishment to be be proud of.  This team needs surgery and JR has already spoken re: this, saying we need to get much faster, bigger and shed our infamous West Coast "Country-Club" mentality that Torts correctly pointed out! 

Thing is though, if “JB’s roster” had a competent coaching staff for the entire year we’d easily be in a playoff spot right now. I have zero doubt about that. The talent and potential was there, we just had someone who isn’t even qualified to manage a peewee team behind the bench. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Did you expect a rebuilding team to be top of the league? :lol:

We should be sellers and buyers 

we need cap space and we need to improve 

sell off veterans pearson  Poolman Dickenson Myers hunt chiasson and motte If he won’t resign Possibly Brock and garland depending on the return. 

Just making the playoffs was the failure mentality of the last GM. This team isn’t good enough to be a deep play off team and we have next to no nhl ready prospects or depth start fixing that now. 

Edited by combover

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I am aware of the holes in the roster and what was said, during there pressers.  I like what they said, but the team is close to a playoff spot and the inactivity by the front office, seems to indicate they will be letting JBs' [expensive] roster a chance, to make the playoffs and see how far it goes.   

The team has limited cap and a farm team, with no real assets that can be used on a trade, so Allvin has a lot of work to do, to accomplish what they both said, in there pressers.  Based on JRs' interview with McCown: Allvin will be tasked with a re tool, by focusing in, on College & European FA's to fill the roster & farm.  Cautiously optimistic, the teams' third straight rookie GM, will be able to deliver ?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

Did you expect a rebuilding team to be top of the league? :lol:

Of course not but I certainly didn't expect to be looking from the outside-in (again) trying to claw into a last place spot in the playoffs with a fully capped-out team and no prospects left in the cup-board after Uncle Jim had almost a decade to get things into any semblance of order.    I think any reasonable person would have to agree that any modest expectations that you would expect after a decade were not met by Jim and why he was let go.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Of course not but I certainly didn't expect to be looking from the outside-in (again) trying to claw into a last place spot in the playoffs with a fully capped-out team and no prospects left in the cup-board after Uncle Jim had almost a decade to get things into any semblance of order.    I think any reasonable person would have to agree that any modest expectations that you would expect after a decade were not met by Jim and why he was let go.

Time warp? Your uncle wasn't GM for a decade.

With a 21-9-5 record since the coaching change, and no change in the roster, I don't think your uncle was the real problem. Btw, your uncle left a much better "prospect cupboard" than the wasteland he inherited. Not to mention your uncle inherited a team with one player under 27 worth keeping and left a team with high quality youth on it. Still in the cupboard: Klimovich, Rathbone, Woo, Lockwood, Jurmo, McDonough (in Hobey Bkaer running), Karlsson (highly likey SHL rookie of the year), Persson, and DiPietro. 

• Upvote 1

Canucks should try to trade the following players for whatever they can get... just get them off the books:

-  Halak

-  Dickenson

-  Chiasson  (probably never happen)

And, IF they get an offer of a #1 pick, a genuine 3/4 D and a 3rd line forward....

Then they should trade Boeser.

Nobody else should be moved.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Time warp? Your uncle wasn't GM for a decade.

With a 21-9-5 record since the coaching change, and no change in the roster, I don't think your uncle was the real problem. Btw, your uncle left a much better "prospect cupboard" than the wasteland he inherited. Not to mention your uncle inherited a team with one player under 27 worth keeping and left a team with high quality youth on it. Still in the cupboard: Klimovich, Rathbone, Woo, Lockwood, Jurmo, McDonough (in Hobey Bkaer running), Karlsson (highly likey SHL rookie of the year), Persson, and DiPietro. 

A bunch of unproven rookies, an almost over the hill (soon to be traded) left winger and a 3rd rate AHL Goalie are nothing to write home to mother about.  I'd like to share your optimism but I'm not young and naive enough to get drunk on Canucks "Kool-Aid" anymore and neither is JR and all the other seasoned professional hockey commentators and analyst who unfortunately - ALL have a different opinion than yours.  But hey - who am  to say !   Anyhow,  enjoy the next few months thru free agency - as JR deconstructs the JB mess and finally begins a proper rebuild of our franchise after more than a decade of waiting.

30 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

A bunch of unproven rookies, an almost over the hill (soon to be traded) left winger and a 3rd rate AHL Goalie are nothing to write home to mother about.  I'd like to share your optimism but I'm not young and naive enough to get drunk on Canucks "Kool-Aid" anymore and neither is JR and all the other seasoned professional hockey commentators and analyst who unfortunately - ALL have a different opinion than yours.  But hey - who am  to say !   Anyhow,  enjoy the next few months thru free agency - as JR deconstructs the JB mess and finally begins a proper rebuild of our franchise after more than a decade of waiting.

Um, isn't that exactly what a prospect pool is - unproven rookies? :lol:

What happens to the quality of your prospect pool when the best of it moves up to the team? Well. your team gets younger and you're no longer among the top prospect pools. Our prospect pool isn't as vacant now as when Benning took over. I get that you're an eternal pessimist, but even you have to admit Rutherford has a much better starting point than Benning had. 

I'm neither young nor naive. But I'm certainly more optimistic about our current prospects than I was about Shinkaruk (our future 1st line winger) , Gaunce (our future 2nd/3rd line center), and Corrado (our future top 4 D). If you expect to have a top prospect pool after adding the likes of Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin and Hoglander in a short period you're delusional.

There's certainly room for some improvement on the roster. But rebuild at this point? Currently sitting with the 8th best win percentage in the league since Bouda took over in Dec, just how much of a mess is this team? Bouda's win percentage over his 35 games translates into a 110 point season. We certainly don't need to "rebuild". That's as stupid a statement as it gets. We're really not that far away. 

Yeah, the Canucks could be sellers at the TDL, and supposedly pick up some assets at the expense of other assets. It would undoubtedly warm the hearts of the young core to see all of their hard work for this year wiped away for assets that will (likely) not be seen for as much as 3+ years. I'm sure that will make them very happy to be here.

Do I believe the Canucks will the Cup with the team they have right now? Not really. And I wouldn't want them to trade away anything too special in order to acquire a valuable building block (eg. a youngish, big, strong, defensive minded RD), at least not at this stage. Do I want the team to trade away picks/prospects/players for some kind of possible glorious future? Maybe, depending on what is moved. For example, Rathbone is a redundundundant piece. I'd want a right now asset, rather than a future asset in a deal which includes him.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

What happens to the quality of your prospect pool when the best of it moves up to the team? Well. your team gets younger and you're no longer among the top prospect pools. Our prospect pool isn't as vacant now as when Benning took over. I get that you're an eternal pessimist, but even you have to admit Rutherford has a much better starting point than Benning had. 

I'm neither young nor naive. But I'm certainly more optimistic about our current prospects than I was about Shinkaruk (our future 1st line winger) , Gaunce (our future 2nd/3rd line center), and Corrado (our future top 4 D). If you expect to have a top prospect pool after adding the likes of Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin and Hoglander in a short period you're delusional.

There's certainly room for some improvement on the roster. But rebuild at this point? Currently sitting with the 8th best win percentage in the league since Bouda took over in Dec, just how much of a mess is this team? Bouda's win percentage over his 35 games translates into a 110 point season. We certainly don't need to "rebuild". That's as stupid a statement as it gets. We're really not that far away. 

Hey, they each played at least a few shifts in those positions. Whadda' want?

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

One of the things that JB really messed up on is waiting too long to trade assets, leading to the team missing out on quite a bit of value. I just hope Allvin doesn't make the same mistake.

If a good enough offer comes for Miller, taking into account the fact we only have him on his current contract for 1 more year, I hope GMPA makes the right choice. 

I understand that no fan wants to see their team lose their best player, but at some point asset management needs to come first. Just imagine seeing Miller walk next year. Would be insane. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

One of the things that JB really messed up on is waiting too long to trade assets, leading to the team missing out on quite a bit of value. I just hope Allvin doesn't make the same mistake.

If a good enough offer comes for Miller, taking into account the fact we only have him on his current contract for 1 more year, I hope GMPA makes the right choice. 

I understand that no fan wants to see their team lose their best player, but at some point asset management needs to come first. Just imagine seeing Miller walk next year. Would be insane. 

Miller for Lafreniere and Schneider

Miller for Newhook and Byram

Has to be this kind of return or it’s best we re-sign Miller this summer.  

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

While i certainly respect your point of view, I think we all must admit that despite Uncle Jim drafting three good players in all his time here - all the rest of his draft picks and and nearly all of his trades have been terrible - not to mention all the top draft picks he gave away or that flopped.    Pour yourself a stiff glass of whiskey, take a seat and go thru this extensive detailed list of Uncle jim transactions (https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/jim-benning) and then try and convince anyone that Jim was some sort of genious and get back to all of us..........

14 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Weren't we the presidents trophy winner a decade ago?   More then a decade ago too lol.    Don't be sad it's over (JB era) i'm sure JR and co will add a couple stickers to the album and then most/all the success will be given to them, even though the players brought in will likely be ones JB drafted or traded for. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2