The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2022 NHL All-Star Skills Competition

Rate this topic

2022 NHL All-Star Skills Competition   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yea i agree.  I used to love the 90s skills competion.  If there was anything circusy about it, it was spontaneous and unexpected.   

Times sure have changed.   The only thing that i really don't like, is that every team has to be represented.    That's total BS.   The best players should be there, from each conference - then play East vs West.    That's the best format i've ever watched, and back then actually looked forward to the games.   A normal hockey game - three periods of exciting hockey.     When 10 players from one team could  make it because of merit.    

They lost me when they changed that format, and since then it's just got more gimmicky.   Also hate that all the fastest skater records are lost due to how they changed the start, and how they made the oval smaller with the cones.  It's a joke.   Wonder if McDavid/Larkin or whomever could actually beat Gartner's record?  Maybe but at least make it the same oval.   And don't give the players a running start lol (Larkin had one!) .. Barzals is legit at least.   Also would love to see how they'd do with a puck on their stick .... for me that's still Bure.   Federov a close second or Coffey.    Huge difference adding that to the game - why Bure is still considered the fastest of the fastest in some rankings.    One all-star game Bure slipped behind the net and still managed 14 .... 

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

League needs more Prongers.

Players that will take the heads off these surfer looking pretty boys that spend more time on their hair and doing fancy puck flips than hitting the weight room. :picard:

Agreed.

Every year we get further and further away from it being hockey.   

For instance, why are small players like Gaudreau not allowed to get hit or touched?  If they are actually star players why cant the prove they are star players that can withstand the physicality of the game?    

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Times sure have changed.   The only thing that i really don't like, is that every team has to be represented.    That's total BS.   The best players should be there, from each conference - then play East vs West.    That's the best format i've ever watched, and back then actually looked forward to the games.   A normal hockey game - three periods of exciting hockey.     When 10 players from one team could  make it because of merit.    

They lost me when they changed that format, and since then it's just got more gimmicky.   Also hate that all the fastest skater records are lost due to how they changed the start, and how they made the oval smaller with the cones.  It's a joke.   Wonder if McDavid/Larkin or whomever could actually beat Gartner's record?  Maybe but at least make it the same oval.   And don't give the players a running start lol (Larkin had one!) .. Barzals is legit at least.   Also would love to see how they'd do with a puck on their stick .... for me that's still Bure.   Federov a close second or Coffey.    Huge difference adding that to the game - why Bure is still considered the fastest of the fastest in some rankings.    One all-star game Bure slipped behind the net and still managed 14 .... 

I don't mind having one representative from each team. It's cool to see all the team jerseys and colours on one stage. Sometimes there are very good players on bad teams and that shouldn't be a detriment to their "star" quality.

I do find some events gimmicky now rather than skill, but I suppose it's suppose to try and show the personality of the players. I want to see actual skill displayed in the breakaway challenge rather than gimmicks and when Zegras pulled a pretty slick goal and yet somehow the home team guy won despite not even scoring the goal made it cringe worthy. Even Jack Hughes had a better "show" than Pietrangelo if you're going to reward that. The production of the whole thing on TV made it hard to watch as well.

I actually thought the outdoor events had potential to be really cool, but a lack of audience made it rather dull.

I enjoy the more traditional events. The save streak is a good one for goalies, but why pair them together to try and end the event quicker?

I don't have the same dislike as others towards the All Star Weekend, I actually don't mind it, but I do agree that they should keep some things more traditional. I miss the puck relay and having the breakaways at the end to determine a "winner". Made it feel more competitive (but it really sucked for goaltenders lol).

14 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Chara's record is 108.8

Ontario Reign forward Martin Frk entered the record books at the 2020 AHL All-Star Skills Competition, as his 109.2 miles-per-hour slap shot set the league's record in the Hardest Shot competition

Al Mac could cream it with a wooden stick, so could Bobby Hull - 120mph...that gets lost in history (used a police scanner once to check his shot - also popular mechanics did an article on his shot way back then and concluded he was capable of 115-120 slappers)... Al Mac in 2020 coming in and wiring a shot at 100.4 miles an hour says about all there is to say about how hard his shot was.    Chara/Weber/Mac/Hull are the leagues hardest shot champs in my books.    Broke boards, glass and nets...Weber has too (gone through nets and broken boards)... Shout out to Al Ifrate who with a wooden stick won two events himself - including a long time record of 105.2... 

One thing id find interesting, is hardest wristers.  Hull and Wendel Clark would probably end up at the top - both wiring ones harder then the average slap shot.  Clark broke goalies masks with his ....

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

how bad was that all star game production by the NHL!?!? In Vegas, you expect things to blow you away...well it sure blew me away at how bad Colby Armstrong is with a microphone in his hand AND it sure made Vegas look bad as the host city imo. I had to turn it off it was so poorly produced, watch the next sports all star game in Vegas go much better

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Al Mac could cream it with a wooden stick, so could Bobby Hull - 120mph...that gets lost in history (used a police scanner once to check his shot - also popular mechanics did an article on his shot way back then and concluded he was capable of 115-120 slappers)... Al Mac in 2020 coming in and wiring a shot at 100.4 miles an hour says about all there is to say about how hard his shot was.    Chara/Weber/Mac/Hull are the leagues hardest shot champs in my books.    Broke boards, glass and nets...Weber has too (gone through nets and broken boards)... Shout out to Al Ifrate who with a wooden stick won two events himself - including a long time record of 105.2... 

One thing id find interesting, is hardest wristers.  Hull and Wendel Clark would probably end up at the top - both wiring ones harder then the average slap shot.  Clark broke goalies masks with his ....

I loved Al....he was one of the good guys and watching him play was a treat.   Despite being a Flame. 

Yep, his booming shot was memorable alright.

• Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't mind having one representative from each team. It's cool to see all the team jerseys and colours on one stage. Sometimes there are very good players on bad teams and that shouldn't be a detriment to their "star" quality.

I do find some events gimmicky now rather than skill, but I suppose it's suppose to try and show the personality of the players. I want to see actual skill displayed in the breakaway challenge rather than gimmicks and when Zegras pulled a pretty slick goal and yet somehow the home team guy won despite not even scoring the goal made it cringe worthy. Even Jack Hughes had a better "show" than Pietrangelo if you're going to reward that. The production of the whole thing on TV made it hard to watch as well.

I actually thought the outdoor events had potential to be really cool, but a lack of audience made it rather dull.

I enjoy the more traditional events. The save streak is a good one for goalies, but why pair them together to try and end the event quicker?

I don't have the same dislike as others towards the All Star Weekend, I actually don't mind it, but I do agree that they should keep some things more traditional. I miss the puck relay and having the breakaways at the end to determine a "winner". Made it feel more competitive (but it really sucked for goaltenders lol).

Whats this constant need to show players personalities though?  Thats what i don't get.  

48 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Agreed.

Every year we get further and further away from it being hockey.   

For instance, why are small players like Gaudreau not allowed to get hit or touched?  If they are actually star players why cant the prove they are star players that can withstand the physicality of the game?    

Face shields drive me nuts. The league is so soft now.

32 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Whats this constant need to show players personalities though?  Thats what i don't get.  

To show that they're not robots? Also to try and show a lighter side instead of the solely competitive sides they are demanded of during the regular games.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

To show that they're not robots? Also to try and show a lighter side instead of the solely competitive sides they are demanded of during the regular games.

Guess so.   That said good luck getting guys from the 30-90's to be so interested in this side show.   Sorry aside from Eddie shore wearing a cape and maybe some minor stuff like that, just can't see Bob Probert or Dave Manson getting that into this sort of thing.   Sure it's Vegas... hopefully what was done in Vegas stays there.    And thanks Deb for showing Daniels record!    Those guys doing their passing drills were pretty freaking incredible too..always wondered how Gretzky would do in that sort of thing.   Best passer all-time.   

• Vintage 1

I find all the hoopla a bit over the top, but I get the allure for younger fans and how it's directed at being a family event more than a real "skills" deal. 

Brings back fond memories of taking my kids to events like this...so much fun.

For the hardcore "hockey" fan, not so much. The Vegas edition was a bit gawdy but, then again, that's Vegas. Personally, I tuned out for a bit to watch curling. I'd prefer a bit more "skills" and less props and fanfare. It's leaning too much in that direction for my liking.  #old

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Who thinks they are robots?  I never thought lemieux, gretzky, sakic yzerman were robots.  In fact, the mystery factor of those players made them more gravitating.