The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Review of GMJB's Trades - He Did Well!

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Context is important.  

A lot of these trades were made to get rid of players that never should have been brought in.

I will say though that I thought he got better at making trades but generally didn't believe he was making them for right reasons and had a very skewed evaluation of where the team was or its timeline to be competitive.

I also think you need to look at the overall results of these trades and bad signings was the loss of heart and sole core players like Markstrom and Tanev for nothing.  End result is us being in a position where we are not a playoff team, are capped out and the prospect cupboards are shockingly bare for a team early in a rebuild.

These are strictly looking at a trade-by-trade situation.  Not looking at free agents, draft picks, etc.

Would you be able to provide me with some more insight and details on a couple of the trades with context? 

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Currently he may be. But u have SIX MORE YEARS WITH HIM (in which that is plenty of time to regress). Regardless, we don't see eye to eye. Only way to find out is "time". 

Exactly.  Gotta see what happens before we can concretely say WIN or LOSS for that one :)

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Currently he may be. But u have SIX MORE YEARS WITH HIM (in which that is plenty of time to regress). Regardless, we don't see eye to eye. Only way to find out is "time". 

I was raked over the coals on these forums on the day the OEL trade happened and I voiced displeasure in the deal.

As much as I like Garland's play, for a team that I felt was not close to being a contender, the OEL contract was going to hurt us for years to come.

Beagle, Roussel, and LE's contracts are up in a few months.

I was really hoping this summer was the offseason we make a splash with our generous cap space.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I was raked over the coals on these forums on the day the OEL trade happened and I voiced displeasure in the deal.

As much as I like Garland's play, for a team that I felt was not close to being a contender, the OEL contract was going to hurt us for years to come.

Beagle, Roussel, and LE's contracts are up in a few months.

I was really hoping this summer was the offseason we make a splash with our generous cap space.

Rutherford just told McCown he hopes for a 2-year re-tool to get back to contention but can't guarantee it.  OEL will be 33 by when Rutherford hopes they can start to contend.

With Rutherford talking of 2 years would think he would have probably preferred missing the playoffs with 12M coming off the cap and Guenther in the system, than missing the playoffs with OEL at 7.2M despite having Garland.  Garland will probably also not return the equivalent of 9th overall in a trade, as part of his acquisition cost was to off-load cap.

• Cheers 3

From what I have ascertained,Juolevi has played well in Florida. He has played 16-17 minutes a night on the 3rd pairing, and had solid outings.

He seems to be terribly injury prone, which takes him in and out of the lineup.

Obviously a bust for a #5OA, but all indications point to him as being an NHL player. I would hold off on saying we won that trade.

Have we won a Stanley Cup?  How many of his trade pieces will be here for us winning a Stanley Cup… or assets we get for them if they are gone?  If you use futures to get a player who then walks away for nothing without a Cup or even a deep playoff run, calling that move a win is just nonsense in my opinion.

All of them are losses so far.  The team hasn’t even gotten better.  Miller is closest to a win, but hindsight shows that it was extremely premature and we weren’t in a position to be trading away 1st round picks for a team that wasn’t even playoff calibre, never mind just “a piece away” from being a contender.  If Miller becomes a win, it will be Rutherford extracting value for him as an asset, something Benning wasn’t able or willing to do.

That is aside from the fact a good number of these moves were attempts to rectify other mistakes he made.  

• Like 1

I just don't understand how he won so many trades and the Canucks are at best in a dog fight to make the playoffs.

I also don't understand how the OJ trade is a win when JB drafted him to begin with? It's a horrendous lose as a top 5 pick turned into a fourth line center.

The Nate Schmidt deal was another beauty. The Canucks rented him for nothing however- they lost on the time value of a pick AND used a protection slot for nothing. Just an overall fat L all around.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I just don't understand how he won so many trades and the Canucks are at best in a dog fight to make the playoffs.

I also don't understand how the OJ trade is a win when JB drafted him to begin with? It's a horrendous lose as a top 5 pick turned into a fourth line center.

The Nate Schmidt deal was another beauty. The Canucks rented him for nothing however- they lost on the time value of a pick AND used a protection slot for nothing. Just an overall fat L all around.

Honestly, free agency killed him.  If he didn't make any free agent signings, we probably would be fine right now.

The OJ trade needs to be looked at as a trade where OJ's value is what it is.  Otherwise we'd be looking at OJ's value to the organization based on GMJB's win/loss from a drafting perspective.  Remember, this is only looking at trade values.

Nice evaluation.

I disagree with the consistency of some of the analysis but I appreciate the opportunity the op provided for us to debate this.

For me, anytime you get an NHL roster player for a pick that turns out to be an insignificant player, it is a win, whether you like the NHL player or not.

Example is the Dickinson trade.... not sure what will amount with the player picked by Dallas but Dickinson is in the NHL and that 3rd round picked player is not.

The inconsistency is that this seems to be the rationale that was applied to declare the Bowey trade a win but Dickinsn was not given the same preferential consideration.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Nice evaluation.

I disagree with the consistency of some of the analysis but I appreciate the opportunity the op provided for us to debate this.

For me, anytime you get an NHL roster player for a pick that turns out to be an insignificant player, it is a win, whether you like the NHL player or not.

Example is the Dickinson trade.... not sure what will amount with the player picked by Dallas but Dickinson is in the NHL and that 3rd round picked player is not.

The inconsistency is that this seems to be the rationale that was applied to declare the Bowey trade a win but Dickinsn was not given the same preferential consideration.

Fair.  I think we get a general idea of how Benning did though.  People like to rip on him for trades, but I really think free agency is what killed him.

• Cheers 2