The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Review of GMJB's Trades - He Did Well!

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

The only problem with altering what actually happened is that we could do that with all the trades.  This was simply looking in hindsight with 20/20 vision.  What actually happened once the trades played out.

yeah I agree with you there for the most part but had we kept the pick we would of picked someone else and even if the pick didn't pan out for another team the pick in itself has more value as both teams do not share scouting departments I'm not saying its worse for us specifically but knowing how Vey turned out now the pick has better value still had Vancouver kept it. So I lean towards as a loss because we didn't utilize that pick well enough its all a gamble at the end of the day and Vancouver gambled wrong with Vey.

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’m satisfied to leave him behind instead of as many posters here do, only want to talk about him.

I’m glad I wasn’t around when Gillis left for Benning. Talk about endlessly, meaningsless discussions.

If Allvin is a mistake we can discuss if Gillis or Benning or another should be GM. 

Really?  You seem to always post in these Benning threads.  That indicates to me that you are always read them.

Your loathing of the man is undeniable. 

Leaving him behind would be the healthy thing to do. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Klimovich is better than Guenther.  He's already in the AHL at 18.  Garland can be easily flipped for more that what we traded for.  OEL is a solid #4 Dman who compliments Myers.  OEL's salary is excessive but Hughes is on a great contract so it balances out.  And we are pretty much going with youth moving forward so I don't see us in cap trouble anytime soon.

Huh? You know that CHL players under 20 can't play in the AHL, right?

• Upvote 1

Maybe if this was done more objectively it might be worthwhile, but as it is...

Get Schmidt for a 3rd = W

Sell Schmidt for a 3rd = W

A 2nd round pick for Linden Vey = D (sure McKeown is an AHLer but we could've picked Montour, Dvorak or Point. Obviously no guarantee but 1 in 20 shot at Point is >>>>>> Vey)

Bonino+ for Sutter = W (we added for a roughly equal player who we then overpaid and right now Bonino could be our 3rd line C and Sutter can't)

No idea how you can call the Toffoli trade a D. IIRC Boeser was injured just before the deadline and then the remaining regular season was cancelled so it kinda made sense and Benning can't be blamed for Covid, but if we're gonna judge it all in hindsight it's a massive L.

I'm not gonna go through them all, but my guess is his trades would come out around 50/50. He did okayish at trades, good at drafting, bad at FA and bad at hiring coaches. Overall I'm glad he's gone but don't think he pooped the bed as badly as some GMs.

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Really?  You seem to always post in these Benning threads.  That indicates to me that you are always read them.

Your loathing of the man is undeniable. 

Leaving him behind would be the healthy thing to do. 

It goes both ways. 

If I don't have to read biased discussions I wouldn't bother. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Timråfan said:

It goes both ways. 

If I don't have to read biased discussions I wouldn't bother. 

Says the guy routinely defending Dahlen.

Dahlen may be doing well this season, but you had been defending him when he was in the SHL, and he was out of the NHL.  But of course, "neanderthal" coaching permeates the NHL, according to you, until they do well. Then all of a sudden, it's entirely on the player, and nothing to do with the coach. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, Benning is retired and is living on a beach right now.  Based on my hockey analysis and ability to play the game at a very high level, NHL star really, I can objectively say that Klimovich is better than Guenther...  :)

I personally prefer Klimovich as well due to his size, but it's simply too early to tell.  I'm not going to pretend my opinion is fact.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe if this was done more objectively it might be worthwhile, but as it is...

Get Schmidt for a 3rd = W

Sell Schmidt for a 3rd = W

A 2nd round pick for Linden Vey = D (sure McKeown is an AHLer but we could've picked Montour, Dvorak or Point. Obviously no guarantee but 1 in 20 shot at Point is >>>>>> Vey)

Bonino+ for Sutter = W (we added for a roughly equal player who we then overpaid and right now Bonino could be our 3rd line C and Sutter can't)

No idea how you can call the Toffoli trade a D. IIRC Boeser was injured just before the deadline and then the remaining regular season was cancelled so it kinda made sense and Benning can't be blamed for Covid, but if we're gonna judge it all in hindsight it's a massive L.

I'm not gonna go through them all, but my guess is his trades would come out around 50/50. He did okayish at trades, good at drafting, bad at FA and bad at hiring coaches. Overall I'm glad he's gone but don't think he pooped the bed as badly as some GMs.

Obtaining Schmidt for a 3rd round pick was a good trade.  People all over the hockey world even said it was a great trade.  It wasn't GMJB's fault that Green couldn't get anything out of Schmidt considering he was a top pairing defender on Vegas.

By the time GMJB had to trade Schmidt, he was nowhere near the calibre of player he was on Vegas, yet he still got his 3rd round pick back.  Hence a W.

We can't cherry pick on draft picks.  Fact is, that pick turned into McKeown.  That is FACT.  So there was no loss there, otherwise we could easily say every draft pick that VAN received COULD HAVE been this guy or that guy.  It goes both ways.

I take Sutter + Lockwood over Bonino any time.

Let me know when Madden or Schaller do anything besides play in the minors or the AHL.  Maybe then I can say the Toffoli trade is anything else but a draw at this point.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Says the guy routinely defending Dahlen.

Dahlen may be doing well this season, but you had been defending him when he was in the SHL, and he was out of the NHL.  But of course, "neanderthal" coaching permeates the NHL, according to you, until they do well. Then all of a sudden, it's entirely on the player, and nothing to do with the coach. :rolleyes:

Tell me wich GM in NHL that has less education than Benning regarding how to run a multi million company.

When I compare Benning with other GMs like JR or Allvin in NHL and CEOs in international companies Benning looks more like a small city car salesman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I can objectively say your bias is clouding your judgement.

Seems to me you want Guenther to bust just to make you feel better about the OEL trade.

No, I don't think he will actually be a bust, but most people were happy when he fell in the draft as he wasn't one of the prospects that most people wanted at our spot.  

However, I do want Klimovich to have a much better career simply because he is a Vancouver Canuck and Guenther is not.  Will you be cheering for Guenther over Klimovich?  What exactly has Guenther done in the CHL that makes you believe he will be better than a guy who is already playing with men at age 18?

• Cheers 2