The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This may be the perfect time to "TANK".

JR said it would take 2 years (at least IMO) to become a contender again. The first step is to shed some salary and acquire draft picks.

The thought came to me this morning:  What if they don't shed that salary by trading Miller or Horvat or Garland ??

What if JR traded Boeser, Pearson, Myers, Poolman, Dickinson and Halak?  That's quite a bit of salary right there, and will losing these guys make the Canucks that much worse?  The returns could be very good, with extra high picks and prospects coming back.

Miller is the team's best player and point leader by far. Trading him could be a big mistake. Where are the goals going to come from? Petey?  Doubtful. 

Myers doesn't even have a goal yet this year and he's making $6. He's also supposed to be an offensive Dman, but is he really? He's actually somewhat of a liability at times, with how easily he takes penalties (due to his size and the way he plays)  He's been pretty decent this year, but there are cheaper options for decent D.  Possible that seeing Juulsen play well, gives them another option for next season. 

19 hours ago, appleboy said:

Example

Miller     to     Rangers for Schneider , Othman and a first.

Horvat   to      Colorado  for  Newhook , Olausson and a first

Garland to      Boston for DeBrusk and Lysell and a second

Boeser   to      Min  for  Boldy and a first

Meyers   to     Anaheim for Manson and a first

Pearson  - Find a way to clear his cap?

Dickinson    ????

Friedman says that Myers would be a hard contract to move so your valuation seems rather off.  Same for Boeser - his 7.5M QO is a pretty big deterrent.  Also not the right teams to trade with.

Anaheim are in a rebuild.  They probably won't be giving up a 1st when they aren't even in a playoff position and don't really need a 32 year old D. 

The Wild are definitely not trading Boldy with how Guerin and Evason talk about him - he has looked extremely impressive since being called up.  Doubt the Wild have interest in Boeser either.  Doesn't have the footspeed to play at the pace they want to play + they don't even have cap space.  Guerin also couldn't care less that a player is from Minnesota - he was asked.  

Colorado's target is believed to be Giroux per Friedman.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Bruce Boudreau would be an awful tank commander.

Along with Demko,Hughes and whoever else, you couldn't tank.

You would miss the playoffs , and still not have a high pick.

We are going to miss the playoffs regardless of how hard the players or coach tries.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

We are going to miss the playoffs regardless of how hard the players or coach tries.

I new when I stuck the word tank in there people would get too focus on what that means. LOL. It is rather funny.  You are on the right track and if they were to trade a player like Miller , Boeser or Garland the emotional hit to the team would cause some losses. Plus the loss of those players would create a bit of a down turn. Just working in some new players can take a while to get team chemistry back. People go straight to the "it is wrong to try to lose". 

I am not suggesting that they try to lose and as you said , the playoffs are probably out of reach anyway. Swap some players and it will be for sure.

2 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I dislike tanking, but agree to sell some assets to help the cap, depth, and improve the defense and scoring.

The remaining issue is which players to be traded.

I suggest: JT Miller, Garland, Pearson, Poolman, OEL, Halak.

OEL likely  isn’t movable without retention or taking back a terrible contract in return.  Same probably goes for Poolman many pundits considered the worst value signing of this past offseason. 

On 2/4/2022 at 1:33 PM, appleboy said:

This club may be at the perfect point for a tear down job. 

If they can get an A prospect and draft picks out of each of these players they could turn this team around very quickly. We would get a great shot at the next two drafts .

Trade all of these players and show what you think each player could bring in.  Then put together a team with your trades and look at the drafts coming up . You might be surprised.

Miller -         Grade A young player     +  ____

Horvat -                       "                      +

Garland -                     "                      +

Boeser  -                      "                     +

Meyers -                      "                      +

Pearson -                     "                     +

We could put together a young club that would mature together. 

The only way a tear down happens is if Ownership and management feel a complete change of team philosophy and culture is needed.

I, for example, like a big, mean spirited team that's hell to play against. Relentless pressure, hard checking, in your face hockey would become this teams identity. 

Character is my number one attribute in any athlete because it is the character of a player that drives his will to win. Not skills, or IQ; character.

It is character that makes a player want to be better at everything he does. 

Character players are not ok with losing. They do not celebrate the six straight they've won, they lament the one loss two weeks ago and work to make the adjustments needed to not let it happen again. 

There are other types of character, also. Petey, for example, has to fix his own mistakes. when he errs, it's his mission to fix it and get back to what he was doing. So many times I've seen him cough up the puck but have the moxy to hustle back and re-gain puck control. 

Another great example are guys like Hoglander and Garland and their inate ability to go into scrums and come out with the puck or squirt through checks and keep posession of the puck. These are also character traits that are very valuable.

Of course IQ and skills are important in hockey but, for me, so is the reaction a player has to the adverse moments in hockey. 

What is your reaction to a goal being scored while you're on the ice?

What's your attitude when down 6-1?

How do you react to the violent moments in hockey?

What are you like in the dressing room?

Do you take hits to make a play? or, do you avoid the hit?

These questions, imo, are just as important, if not more so, as the other aspects of hockey and must be in every player I draft. 

IQ is my other top priority in any player on my team, as it's the other aspect that can't be taught. The ability to process the game at a high rate and react appropriately is very important.

Anyway, there is sooo much more to team culture. These are just a couple ideas that could trigger a tear down but, if the present regime is just going to use the same blueprint, they should be focusing more on trimming around the edges to create capspace and be more about filling the biggest holes in our line-up. Right defense and top-six left-wing.

• Vintage 1

On 2/4/2022 at 5:01 PM, nux_win said:

The idea of losing on purpose is always going to be an insult to the very idea of sports.  Maybe, just maybe, one could make an argument for it for business reasons, and who doesn't love talking business, but from the point of view of sports, tanking is always going to be moronic.  The whole point is to try to win, each and every game.  Always.  There is honor in losing but only if one has given it a full effort.  To give anything less than a 100% effort to win, and to do so on purpose, disrespects the game, the opponents, the fans, everyone, and worst of all it both requires and sustains a lack of self respect.  It's just plain disrespectful to the idea of enjoying competition (even if you use a really big font).  GCG!

P.S. - Winning isn't everything, always trying to win is.

BTW in Lou's own words but paraphrasing "we did everything we could, worked really hard on getting the best odds to get first overall"   - this is regards to TO and the Mathews pick. 

Myself i don't like the idea much either - but a responsible GM sometimes needs to do this for the long term benefits to the franchise.   This isn't a terrible idea - one of the three avenues that JT and Allvin can consider.   COL set themselves up for their future by selling Duchene and Barrie because they knew they did have enough - and also because well Duchene wanted out (but made him play an entire season before the actual trade came - and Sakic was totally roasted for this during that time, not anymore lol).

This was one of the issues i had with JB.   Instead of letting our team bottom out, he spent to the cap.   Quick fixes rarely work.    And now we are seeing those results, we have zero pool which to draw from - but are not a contender.   Massive failure.    Tanking actually could be the best medicine.   Know the fans don't want it - they couldn't handle the MG teams demise.   "8 long years" and all that even though the team couldn't bottom out until those contracts were gone or aged out.   The ONLY way out of this is some extremely lopsided trades, and some very team friendly signings.   What is more realistic?   Tanking is for sure on the table.    Bet we will by trading Miller.   And he might not be the only one out - Brock too.  

On 2/4/2022 at 5:12 PM, hammertime said:

I mean there is a case for it. I'm not interested in half measures. If JR believes in this team he signs Miller and trades Brock to make cap room. If not then ya I would be willing to entertain the idea of a full gut. 

Yep.   Exactly.   Even trading Miller is a tank move.   We are just as close to the bottom lottery area as we are the playoffs right now.   Personally i want playoffs .... and hope Bruce and do it.   If not ... then well i'm sure going to look forward to the draft, more so if we are a bottom feeder though.   It's either that or we go for it again next year ... imagine if we miss and don't trade anyone?   We would be up sh!t creek without a paddle. 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:25 PM, appleboy said:

Example

Miller     to     Rangers for Schneider , Othman and a first.

Horvat   to      Colorado  for  Newhook , Olausson and a first

Garland to      Boston for DeBrusk and Lysell and a second

Boeser   to      Min  for  Boldy and a first

Meyers   to     Anaheim for Manson and a first

Pearson  - Find a way to clear his cap?

Dickinson    ????

Ok of course we'd do that.   Myers?  Why would ANA do that?   MIN doesn't have the cap space for BB.   Dickinson is a cap dump do take one of those firsts and give it away.   Pearson for sure can be traded next year.   Miller maybe ... he's worth a lot to any team and right now NYR are already a good team.   Garland yes that one they'd do for sure but why should we?   Horvat yes that's doable.   He'd be Kadri's replacement.  

That said half the loot PLUS the good odds for first overall this year and the next - in hindsight five years from now might be exactly what we should do right now. 

There is no way we you could call moving out a bunch of players on this club a complete rebuild. When you have players like Demko , Hughes, (Petey ?) , Podz and Hog you know that you aren't going to see a team that goes right to the bottom. We all know how many wins a franchise goal tender gets you. 

Plus there would be a strong return on any of the deals involving some of the players that may get moved out.  We are not talking about moving out old players on expiring contracts that could cost us assets. We are looking at players who could bring several quality assets in.