The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This may be the perfect time to "TANK".

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

BTW in Lou's own words but paraphrasing "we did everything we could, worked really hard on getting the best odds to get first overall"   - this is regards to TO and the Mathews pick. 

Myself i don't like the idea much either - but a responsible GM sometimes needs to do this for the long term benefits to the franchise.   This isn't a terrible idea - one of the three avenues that JT and Allvin can consider.   COL set themselves up for their future by selling Duchene and Barrie because they knew they did have enough - and also because well Duchene wanted out (but made him play an entire season before the actual trade came - and Sakic was totally roasted for this during that time, not anymore lol).

This was one of the issues i had with JB.   Instead of letting our team bottom out, he spent to the cap.   Quick fixes rarely work.    And now we are seeing those results, we have zero pool which to draw from - but are not a contender.   Massive failure.    Tanking actually could be the best medicine.   Know the fans don't want it - they couldn't handle the MG teams demise.   "8 long years" and all that even though the team couldn't bottom out until those contracts were gone or aged out.   The ONLY way out of this is some extremely lopsided trades, and some very team friendly signings.   What is more realistic?   Tanking is for sure on the table.    Bet we will by trading Miller.   And he might not be the only one out - Brock too.  

I'm not impressed with anyone working really hard to get a good draft pick.  That's not the goal.  I respect athletes who give their all every single game no matter what.  All the rest is just fancy BS and rationalizing a bad attitude.  GCG!

22 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Bruce Boudreau would be an awful tank commander.

Along with Demko,Hughes and whoever else, you couldn't tank.

You would miss the playoffs , and still not have a high pick.

:lol: Hence:

On 2/4/2022 at 11:28 PM, aGENT said:

You and @appleboy need to Tonya Harding Demko for us to to have a shot at tanking. Even if we trade a bunch of guys, he'd still keep us in too many games :P

16 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Same probably goes for Poolman many pundits considered the worst value signing of this past offseason. 

To be fair, many pundits also thought trading for Miller was a mistake. There's a reason they're pundits and not successful hockey executives :P

But yeah, Poolman is probably a year longer than preferred and on a better built D, wouldn't have been required in the first place. I wonder if management was (rightly it turns out) concerned about Hamonic's availability?

Our right side is a bit of an unreliable dogs breakfast that Benning and co tried to slap band-aids on. They went for depth over quality (likely because quality wasn't available). Meh.. clean up on aisle, right side D.

2 hours ago, nux_win said:

I'm not impressed with anyone working really hard to get a good draft pick.  That's not the goal.  I respect athletes who give their all every single game no matter what.  All the rest is just fancy BS and rationalizing a bad attitude.  GCG!

The coaches and players still give it there all...it's just really difficult to do when your best players are traded. 

ANA is a lot like us in that they have excellent goaltending in Gibson - even with Gibson, they still bottomed out....or at least sucked for a bit.   I'm not convinced they did it for long enough either - but those down years are now playing dividends.   Blake also traded and re-tooled around Doughty, Kopitar and Quick.   Losing a couple solid top four D's and Pearson/TT gave them the assets to make a later

push in Kopitar/Doughty's cycle.   Like it or not, GMs absolutely do this sort of thing on purpose often enough.  

Edit:  LA did what CHI should have done.   Kane and Toews second window was wasted (ok with that).  

Edited by IBatch