The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Keep Miller, Move Brock for Brock

HKSR

If one was to believe JR when he says he wants to establish a young talent pool and add picks all while generating 'cap flexibility', it makes the most sense that these changes happen via some combination of  Miller/Boeser deals.   Miller, in my view, is doubtful to re-sign here after next season and the risk of losing him like Toffy/Marky/Tanev would be a bitter pill to swallow since his value will likely never be as high as it is before the upcoming TDL.  Additionally, the much discussed qualifying offer to BB is prohibitively problematic and dealing him would create a not unsubstantial amount of instant 'cap flexibility' moving forward. 

To me the question isn't 'if' there is a trade, but rather who it involves and where they are going. 

• Vintage 2

Both look good on paper.  Faber (solid RHD prospect) + 3rd for Boeser looks like fair value if we're looking to avoid having to pay his raise, and Rathbone and Vilardi are both underachieving prospects.  If he earns a role Vilardi could replace some of what the team loses in moving Boeser (one of their fan blogs wrote an article saying that Vilardi might be better suited on the wing: https://hockeyroyalty.com/2021/11/10/la-kings-what-does-the-future-look-like-for-gabe-vilardi/) or Bo and the faceoff coach could help him improve as a center option.

If management believes they can re-sign Boeser to $6 million/ year (small raise, less than his QO) and can get a bigger return for Garland I'd probably be down for that, but as it stands it's a good idea to get a 3rd C candidate and future NHL RHD with upside for someone we might not be able to afford long-term if he asks for extra.

(For Miller I'd say Schneider + either Chytil or Kravtsov + 1st, but that's enough splitting hairs from me). 

• Vintage 1

Just now, BigTramFan said:

My only issue is that if we're trading Miller it has to be Schneider from NYR, not Lundkvist

I was just trying to be more conservative... I think NYR would do the deal for sure if it's Lundkvist, Kravtsov, and a 1st.  Ideally it'd be Schneider.

• Vintage 1

Looks good to me, even if it's within the division. For some reason I think playing against Boeser wouldn't be that hard. 

On another note:

It could be either Miller or Horvat leaving. I didn't think they would even consider trading Bo, seeing as he's the captain and a C great at faceoffs,  but Miller is also very good in that regard, and a more potent scorer and playmaker. One could even argue, a better leader.

Horvat will be due a raise after next season. What will he make? Maybe a million less than Miller?  They're only two years apart in age.

The question is: Who would you want leading the team into the playoffs every year?  Bo or JT?

• Cheers 1

I've been looking at the Kings as a good trading partner for Brock.  Right now, their best RW is Brown(37yrs) who will be a UFA at the end of the season.

La gets Brock + Athanasiou (cap dump UFA)

VCR gets Vilardi C-R + Grans RD

**No way I want to see Miller going to any divisional rival.  It would kill us for years to come.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

One last proposal before the weekend. 

Recently, Friedman mentioned that Rob Blake was looking to add "natural goal scoring" to the Kings:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-unafraid-auston-matthews-takes-big-off-ice-step/

So here goes...

To VAN:

Gabe Vilardi

Brock Faber

3rd round pick

To LA:

Brock Boeser

Jack Rathbone

Vancouver gets an excellent RHD prospect in Faber, as well as a top tier prospect in Vilardi.  Should Miller be traded as well, Vilardi could step into a 3C type role to start with.

LA is absolutely stocked with prospect centres including Turcotte, Madden, Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, etc.  They've also got a lot of young RHD moving up the pipelines including Durzi, Clarke, and Grans.  They actually have less young LHD, so Rathbone fits nicely into their mix.  Boeser is the "natural goal scorer" that Blake might want.  Even with a 'down' year, Boeser is on a 20-25 goal pace.

So if Miller goes to NYR for say Lundqvist, Kravtsov, and a 1st, here's the haul for moving Boeser and Miller (and Rathbone):

Gabe Vilardi

Vitali Kravtsov

Nils Lundqvist

Brock Faber

1st Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

Not bad...

Thoughts?

Yes like trade except we must get Schneider 20, 6'2 very skilled from the NYR in trade package. #2 or #3 D man soon....

I don't know if NYR would be that interested in Motte. Perhaps helps them with depth in the playoffs, unlikely to resign him. They'd probably like to take Schenn instead, who will help replace that depth that Schneider provides them at the moment. And also they would want some retention on Miller to help with cap issues next season.

I'm also not very high on Chytil. This is his 5th season in the NHL and his production is going down, not up. He's also not really a center, he's yet another third line left winger when we already have Pearson and Dickinson. Prefer a 1st round pick or Kravtsov if we are retaining on Miller.

Something like:

To NYR: Miller ($1.25m retained) + Schenn

To VAN: Schneider + Barron + Kravtsov

I think trading Boeser would be bad for the Canucks for the following reasons:

1. Boeser is a goal scorer and goal scorers are rare, more so than I think most people realize. Boeser is a good one and if we moved him we would be trying to replace him for a long time. 
  2. Boeser's contract concerns are overblown in my opinion. A long term contract around 7.5M is right in line with what players of Boeser's production get. Anything over 8 and it's more of a concern, but I genuinely don't think it will get that far. 
  3. Boeser is an original core member that has grown with the young players and veterans in the organization. We all witnessed how the 2020 offseason when Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom and Stetcher all left. Now is the time when we should commit to keeping our core players around and facilitating their growth. 
  4. Boeser actually has proven that he is effective in the Playoffs. He was very, very solid for us in three rounds in the 2020 Playoffs. He scored some big goals, some greasy goals, was responsible defensively and didn't back down. 11 points in 17 games is pretty good for his first time in the Playoffs. 
  5. Boeser is young enough to still align with our new window of contention. This is the main reason why I think it makes more sense to move Miller than Boeser (not that Miller will be bad, but Boeser just fits more cleanly). 

I know he's been in rumours for what feels like the last 2-3 years, but I hope he doesn't get moved. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think trading Boeser would be bad for the Canucks for the following reasons:

1. Boeser is a goal scorer and goal scorers are rare, more so than I think most people realize. Boeser is a good one and if we moved him we would be trying to replace him for a long time. 
  2. Boeser's contract concerns are overblown in my opinion. A long term contract around 7.5M is right in line with what players of Boeser's production get. Anything over 8 and it's more of a concern, but I genuinely don't think it will get that far. 
  3. Boeser is an original core member that has grown with the young players and veterans in the organization. We all witnessed how the 2020 offseason when Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom and Stetcher all left. Now is the time when we should commit to keeping our core players around and facilitating their growth. 
  4. Boeser actually has proven that he is effective in the Playoffs. He was very, very solid for us in three rounds in the 2020 Playoffs. He scored some big goals, some greasy goals, was responsible defensively and didn't back down. 11 points in 17 games is pretty good for his first time in the Playoffs. 
  5. Boeser is young enough to still align with our new window of contention. This is the main reason why I think it makes more sense to move Miller than Boeser (not that Miller will be bad, but Boeser just fits more cleanly). 

I know he's been in rumours for what feels like the last 2-3 years, but I hope he doesn't get moved. 

Goal scorers are rare yes, but thats the 35 - 40 goal + variety LOL. You make it sound like Brock is a rare commodity, a guy thats NEVER scored 30 goals. To put in perspective if he's such a rare commodity, he's on pace for about 25 goals. Theres 2 other guys in our team currently in that pace and another 2 will be close. I hardly think Brock is elite

The reasons why we are more likely to move Miller than Boeser is because Boeser's value is nowhere near as high, and he's got no leverage commanding 7.5 million on a long term deal. Point a game guy like Miller, that plays centre, can play PP and PK, he's going to command top dollar

Brock Boeser has only had one playoff run. Lets not carried away here that he's all of a sudden Johan Franzen or Peter Forsberg, who turns into an absolute juggernaut in the playoffs

Great proposal, LA are stacked with good prospects. Sure, it would hurt playing against Brock and he's got a 30-40 goal scorer in him in around 3-5 years perhaps, but if the return is great we have to consider it.

I wonder if they'd consider moving Brandt Clarke, he's not as much of an untouchable as Byfield.  Faber is a bit lower down on their depth chart really and he may never be a star whereas Clarke would be a fantastic future partner for Hughes for many years. What do we have to give up, Boeser + Rathbone for Clarke + 3rd? 

I wouldn't be wanting to give up that much for an unproven prospect but it's an interesting thought.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The question is: Who would you want leading the team into the playoffs every year?  Bo or JT?

Bo, for sure. No slight to Miller, but Bo put up 10 goals in 17 games last playoffs. Also, Bo is very dependable emotionally while being very responsible.

Miller would ignite the team more, but also cost the team more with his giveaways and his temper. Miller would be a gamble, which could be very good or bad, depending. This isn’t meant to be a knock against Miller at all, but I feel Bo would be the more reliable of the two.

16 hours ago, HKSR said:

One last proposal before the weekend. 

Recently, Friedman mentioned that Rob Blake was looking to add "natural goal scoring" to the Kings:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-unafraid-auston-matthews-takes-big-off-ice-step/

So here goes...

To VAN:

Gabe Vilardi

Brock Faber

3rd round pick

To LA:

Brock Boeser

Jack Rathbone

Vancouver gets an excellent RHD prospect in Faber, as well as a top tier prospect in Vilardi.  Should Miller be traded as well, Vilardi could step into a 3C type role to start with.

LA is absolutely stocked with prospect centres including Turcotte, Madden, Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, etc.  They've also got a lot of young RHD moving up the pipelines including Durzi, Clarke, and Grans.  They actually have less young LHD, so Rathbone fits nicely into their mix.  Boeser is the "natural goal scorer" that Blake might want.  Even with a 'down' year, Boeser is on a 20-25 goal pace.

So if Miller goes to NYR for say Lundqvist, Kravtsov, and a 1st, here's the haul for moving Boeser and Miller (and Rathbone):

Gabe Vilardi

Vitali Kravtsov

Nils Lundqvist

Brock Faber

1st Round Pick

3rd Round Pick

Not bad...

Thoughts?

Kravtsov, no thanks. Same character issues like Tryamkin. Tryamkin refused to report to Utica Comets, Kravtsov refused to report to the farmteam of the Rangers. Stay away from this russian kid.

"He's in Russia right now, awaiting a trade, refusing assignment to AHL Hartford, so I called around to find out what general manager Chris Drury could be looking for in a trade for this player, and what I got back was a top prospect," Sportsnet's Jeff Marek said during the 32 Thoughts segment on Hockey Night in Canada.