The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Pettersson

I know Petey is a touchy subject in Vancouver and I've said in other threads that he's one of my least desirable to deal but, there is one player in this draft I badly want.

Juraj Slafkovsky- 6'4", 225 lbs, LW Slovakia

Still 17 (March 30 DOB), this kids already a monster who projects to be a top-six winger.

Analysts say he plays a high-pressure, physical game and excels in front of the net. He's definitely a player we could use and could be ready to step in next year.

The problem is, he's moving up the draft rankings quickly and could end up even going in the top three. 

So, my question is; Could EP40 get us the third overall pick to ensure we get this kid?

I'm, personally, not so sure he could without adding our first round pick. My preference would be to keep the pick but, if I could get this guy, I would definitely be tempted.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Trading Petey at an all time low would be an absolutely terrible move and I can't see any situation it would happen.

Shayster

I have pondered this type of move before, and never quite got there in my mind, but I will say this...........

I do not believe GM's think the same thing. I believe GM's see Petey as more of a proven commodity than most unproven draft picks........

In saying that, it would be a dangerous thing for any GM to do, so I am not sure they would take the plunge .........

I do not know, and as much as I like Slafkovsky, I am not sure I would use a 3rd OA to pick him, where there is a chance he could be a 12 OA pick

He is a real nice prospect though, and don't blame Komodo for liking him.......

Petey just needs to work on his core strength and get his mojo back.  I also think he shouldn't try to play a physical game.  He's not built for it.  He can get in the way like the Sedin's used to but that's the extent of it.

When you strip the core down to it's bare bones, you have Petey on the list.  Don't give up on him.  (Demko, Petey, Hughes.... that's what you build your team around)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I know Petey is a touchy subject in Vancouver and I've said in other threads that he's one of my least desirable to deal but, there is one player in this draft I badly want.

Juraj Slafkovsky- 6'4", 225 lbs, LW Slovakia

Still 17 (March 30 DOB), this kids already a monster who projects to be a top-six winger.

Analysts say he plays a high-pressure, physical game and excels in front of the net. He's definitely a player we could use and could be ready to step in next year.

The problem is, he's moving up the draft rankings quickly and could end up even going in the top three. 

So, my question is; Could EP40 get us the third overall pick to ensure we get this kid?

I'm, personally, not so sure he could without adding our first round pick. My preference would be to keep the pick but, if I could get this guy, I would definitely be tempted.

Or just draft Kirill Dolzhenkov in the 3rd. Kid's 6'7 235 skates better than Slafkovski or at least as well. Has silky mitts a touch of nasty and can really crank it.  Maybe he's a longer term project but worth it.

Josh Thomas FC Hockey "Dolzhenkov is a hulking power forward with a wicked shot. He is definitely one of the fastest guys that I have seen in this draft class, even at his size. He is very coordinated and under control which is very rare for players of this size at this age. He isn’t afraid to use his body to protect the puck and punish the opposing defenders. The release on his shot is lightning quick and deceiving".

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Shayster

I have pondered this type of move before, and never quite got there in my mind, but I will say this...........

I do not believe GM's think the same thing. I believe GM's see Petey as more of a proven commodity than most unproven draft picks........

In saying that, it would be a dangerous thing for any GM to do, so I am not sure they would take the plunge .........

I do not know, and as much as I like Slafkovsky, I am not sure I would use a 3rd OA to pick him, where there is a chance he could be a 12 OA pick

He is a real nice prospect though, and don't blame Komodo for liking him.......

I don't believe he's a top 3 pick, no. But my conclusion about that trade wouldn't matter if I did have a higher regards of that player.

Canucks are standing at a cross roads right now. We have spent many years kicking the can, and we have under utilized too many assets that has left us with a barren prospect pool, a maxed out cap, and a mediocre team. I'd reckon, Petey is currently playing the worst hockey of his entire career. I still believe he has potential to he a top 10 player in the league, but based off this year I don't know if he's in the top 100. If we trade him now, it would be at an absolute loss. That's like selling your stocks after they dip, it risks your entire future because you panicked.

We have to sell high, and buy low. This trade, in my opinion, is selling low to buy high. Yes, Slaf could be a top 3 talent. But as it sits currently he looks more like a top 10 talent. The op is suggesting we trade a diminished asset to take a risk reaching for a player.

But again, that's beside the point. If this team trades Petey now, were getting 60 cents on the dollar and I just see zero chance of that going down.

• Cheers 3

I totally agreed Petey is the lowest in this season. Based on buy low sell high equation, we should keep him currently.

I am concluded that he is not untouchable but not now.

I would like the coach team to develop him into the model of the first year he joined the team. I think he is influenced by JT Miller to play liked JT model, however, he should not be.

We've got a Calder winning player who just turned 23, he's averaged pretty close to point per game over his career up until this season. We're better off being patient as opposed to selling low, because the odds of him bouncing back are better than the odds of a third overall pick being a large contributor when we're ready to contend. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, nergish said:

Moving up to 3rd OA and not taking Nemec or Jiricek?

I have reached the point where I would no longer call Petey untouchable, but this is too gamble-y for me.

There's a kid ranked mid-round that I like too.

Ryan Chwsley. 6', right-handed, also plays a physical style, and has skills to develop.

I would grab him if we could keep our pick.