The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a dominant Defenseman (Discussion)

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Starting to think that's my first choice, if they trade Miller.

To NYR for Schneider, Chytil and 1st

The 1st would basically be like a high 2nd, but Schneider and Chytil could help the team right away and for years to come. They would fit into that age group with Pettersson and Hughes.

I think we could get more, but I do like that as a whole 

Even if it's a low first, it'd allow us to use a first on a D, which I think we should as we lack a blue chip D in our system

I agree with BPA, but we're always going to need young, high end D prospects who could be top 4D

First round is typically mostly forwards, but if there's a good D in the ranges we're picking I'd be happy to see us grab them

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep...

Nemec and Jiricek (preferred due to his style) in the draft look like potential top pairing RHD and should be around the 6-12 pick range.  Between them or Geekie one should be left by the time we pick and fill a need unless we do something Canuck like and win just enough games to miss out on the playoffs but make our draft position worse.

Unfortunately I've seen a lot of more recent mocks with Jiricek in/around top 5... We'd likely have to trade up to get him.

But getting Schneider in the Miller trade and Jiricek in the draft would be HUGE for this franchise. Imagine those two and Hughes as the core of our D for the next decade :towel::frantic:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Unfortunately I've seen a lot of more recent mocks with Jiricek in/around top 5... We'd likely have to trade up to get him.

But getting Schneider in the Miller trade and Jiricek in the draft would be HUGE for this franchise. Imagine those two and Hughes as the core of our D for the next decade :towel::frantic:

I haven't seen most recent ones... he WAS hanging around #10 earlier in the year.  I guess we just have to move Miller and Boeser out faster to get ourselves more firmly in the top ten for a pick!

It would certainly bode well for the franchise to have three young stud defencemen... OEL can age more gracefully and be less of an anchor if he has the ability to be relied on less and we have an ELC top 4 D man offsetting his cap hit for most of the time.  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I haven't seen most recent ones... he WAS hanging around #10 earlier in the year.  I guess we just have to move Miller and Boeser out faster to get ourselves more firmly in the top ten for a pick!

It would certainly bode well for the franchise to have three young stud defencemen... OEL can age more gracefully and be less of an anchor if he has the ability to be relied on less and we have an ELC top 4 D man offsetting his cap hit for most of the time.  

Yeah, he was 10-15... Right where we're likely picking earlier. Would have been perfect. Now he's closer to 5 IIRC.

might have to use the extra 1st from a Miller trade to move up lol.

Yeah, a top 4 of Hughes, OEL, Schneider and Jiricek... With some Rathbone-Woo following them up... Yes please.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

IMO, JR does not have a lot of time to play around in regards to when he obtains his young RHD 

I would have no problem if we traded Miller for Schneider, a 1st and ?, in that I see it exactly the same as you

and would have no problem adding a late 1st to a probable 9/10 OA 1st to move up high enough to get Juricek

In the end, Juricek would get Rathbone a much higher chance of success, in the top 4, as well.........

• Cheers 2

New York is not including Schneider in a package for JT Miller.  He was not an option in the Eichel trade and he is not an option now.  I think that virtually all Ranger fans would be opposed to a Miller for Schneider trade straight up if Schneider was even available.  Lundquist maybe.

5 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

There is absolutely no reason to get defensive here, Quinn Hughes is an incredible player in his own right, and may turn out to be the best of all of them...........

I am just saying we need his equal, but bigger, more physical, who can dominate in other ways...........

Not sure why you have Makar and Fox on your list as they are roughly the same size as Quinn so hence the confusion by some of us

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, nameci said:

New York is not including Schneider in a package for JT Miller.  He was not an option in the Eichel trade and he is not an option now.  I think that virtually all Ranger fans would be opposed to a Miller for Schneider trade straight up if Schneider was even available.  Lundquist maybe.

That's unfortunate, but I'm not surprised. Could this maybe be a reason why he could be traded to BOS for Carlo+ instead?  :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's unfortunate, but I'm not surprised. Could this maybe be a reason why he could be traded to BOS for Carlo+ instead?  :ph34r:

Nameci doesn't have any more information than you or I. He has no idea who's available, or isn't. I'm sure the Rangers would prefer not giving up Schneider if they can though.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, nameci said:

Apples and oranges. Miller has a significantly smaller cap hit than Eichel, and he's much less of a risk given the nature of the ongoing health dilemma that was happening for him in Buffalo. Miller's also a player New York would be very familiar with, considering they drafted him. 

I wouldn't be be remotely surprised to see him included in a Miller trade. 

• Cheers 1

aGENT, Bob McKenzie was quite definite that Schneider was not on the table for the Eichel trade.  If they wouldn’t include Schneider in the trade for a potential franchise player in Eichel, they are not going to include him in a Miller package especially with Fox out and Schneider doing well as a second pairing defenseman.  So maybe I know more than you give me credit for.  If the Canucks and Rangers do make a trade for Miller and Schneider is part of the return package, I will apologize to you on this forum.  Just don’t count on it.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, nameci said:

aGENT, Bob McKenzie was quite definite that Schneider was not on the table for the Eichel trade.  If they wouldn’t include Schneider in the trade for a potential franchise player in Eichel, they are not going to include him in a Miller package especially with Fox out and Schneider doing well as a second pairing defenseman.  So maybe I know more than you give me credit for.  If the Canucks and Rangers do make a trade for Miller and Schneider is part of the return package, I will apologize to you on this forum.  Just don’t count on it.

Nobody is arguing he may not have been available for Eichel as Mackenzie reported though.

Eichel also has almost twice the cap hit, and (especially at the time, and even still now, though less so) MAJOR health concerns and was, and continues to be a FAR bigger risk than Miller would be. Particularly if we were to also retain.

Not to mention it was also the offseason. The Rangers are now, very much in the playoff picture, and at the top of the league with a very real chance at going deep.

You're trying to conflate very different circumstances and form something resembling an absolute conclusion.

I believe that's colloquially known as "talking out of your arse".

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

We look at the same set of facts, focus on different aspects of these facts and agree to disagree.  There is nothing absolute about my conclusions, it’s just an opinion I have formed with the facts and information I have at hand.  There are probably a few things we do agree on - we are both Canucks’ fans and want the team to make out like bandits in any trade they make.  If a team can’t or won’t offer the assets which we require to improve our team, they won’t get the asset they are seeking from us.   Would I demand Schneider in a trade for JT MIller.?  Absolutely!!.  If the Rangers won’t budge, find another trading partner or retain the asset.  It is my considered opinion as a fifty year Canucks fan, who can still remember Barry Wilkins’s first goal against Dennis DeJordy at the Pacific Coliseum,, and a reasonably informed hockey fan, that Schneider i not leaving New York and the offer of the apology if I am wrong still stands. BTW, I have been in Mexico for the last six weeks and I can assure you that there is nothing to be gained by talking about what comes out of my arse.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nameci said:

here are some differences Miller vs Eichel

Eichel being injured at the time, was also being a pain in the arse to the Buffalo brass, also he carried a $10,000,000 contract, which is huge, if the player never recovers........

Now, Vegas obviously was willing to throw in a lots, but not really so much that if Eichel did not respond to treatment.............

Now, NY Rangers liked Schneider, and was kicking the tires on Eichel, but if you look at their Cap, would have had to move a hell of alot of players, just to get enough cap Compliancy..........and not just also rans, but bigger names........again, NYR were not about to move heaven and earth. As well as they actually like Schneider.............

having actually moved up to get him.

Now one does not cancel the other out..........NYR asked, but were not serious, Vegas was..............especially for a guy who was trouble, with a huge cap and not guaranteed to actually play another game in the NHL...................

Personally..........I do not blame NYR for their stance......................

But that has absolutely nothing to do with the next player that comes along.......................especially if that guy will actually play guaranteed games, and at a potential cap hit of 2.6 million on retention.................

You can not connect the 2 just because you want to........................nor can you dis-connect them either..........

Your argument has merit, but again it is not absolute.............you argue like it is.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 2

My argument has merit.  Please tell that to my wife!  Jan, I have enjoyed reading your posts  for quite a while and  recognize the passion and insight you bring to the topics you either initiate or discuss.  Keep posting, but I have to go read to the grandkids now.  Good night.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, nameci said:

My argument has merit.  Please tell that to my wife!  Jan, I have enjoyed reading your posts  for quite a while and  recognize the passion and insight you bring to the topics you either initiate or discuss.  Keep posting, but I have to go read to the grandkids now.  Good night.

I like this post! LOL........we could be married to the same wife! LOL

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Yes just like Edler did and Myers is doing ....