The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential of tanking for Bedard

Rate this topic

Gator

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Because now he has a new GM and management suitable for a multimillion company.... The Benning legacy is dead and when Cull get fired the last $&!#ty bit of the real cancer in the Canucks is gone.

those help his skating and physical strength?

Lol OP must've been a fan of the Oilers during those tanking years.  Teams take forever to build back up when they strip away all assets and rebuild, and even if they're chock full of assets, many of them don't pan out (just look at the Panthers from the earlier 2000's, or the Coyotes).

We shouldn't trade too much of our core, since we have good players.  Just need some good choices by management to build the defense and they should be good.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol OP must've been a fan of the Oilers during those tanking years.  Teams take forever to build back up when they strip away all assets and rebuild, and even if they're chock full of assets, many of them don't pan out (just look at the Panthers from the earlier 2000's, or the Coyotes).

We shouldn't trade too much of our core, since we have good players.  Just need some good choices by management to build the defense and they should be good.

But look at the flames. Forever trash. 

• Haha 1

Seen many weird thigs with the Canucks and this would NOT be something they would do - EVER

The Canuck way is when eliminated from playoffs they win remaining games and give hope for fans that the team is coming together for next year  while lowering their draft position in winning meaningless games

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

those help his skating and physical strength?

The skating is very strange. 
It has been a problem since someone convinced Petey to change angle on the skates.

The physical strength, if we talk about that we can just hang in the skates at once since both our stars will be crushed in playoffs… For now we can just hope the NHL become more like Europe. 
Wasn’t that one of the reasons Benning choosed two such small players like Hughes and Petey?

But, maybe that is the reason the window starts in two years. So both Petey and Hughes can bulk up a bit.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Seen many weird thigs with the Canucks and this would NOT be something they would do - EVER

The Canuck way is when eliminated from playoffs they win remaining games and give hope for fans that the team is coming together for next year  while lowering their draft position in winning meaningless games

That is a very strange strategy from Green.

I would have tested a lot of prospects at highest level to see how they handle the speed. Wich means we would tank heavily or find som nice gems hidden in Utica. 

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Because now he has a new GM and management suitable for a multimillion company.... The Benning legacy is dead and when Cull get fired the last $&!#ty bit of the real cancer in the Canucks is gone.

And how that gonna fit in with EPs 'I wanna win' statement?

He won't be interested in hanging around for a total rebuild. 

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So you expect us to compete and win within two years?

Edited by spook007

I think if it was under the old draft system, then sure, the worse team would be guaranteed the first overall pick. 

But under the new draft system, the worse team in the league isn't guaranteed the first pick. That's a dangerous game to play. Selling off our best players only to hope that we get Bedard. What happens if we don't get him? 

I think we need to remain as competitive as we can, if next season we take one step back to take 2 steps forward, then that'll be worth it.

One player does not make a championship team.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

So you expect us to compete and win within two years?

No, we will have a shot at the window that opens in a couple of years.

Or I might ask what you mean by compete and win… Is that winning more than 50% or be one of two last teams? 

Just now, Timråfan said:

No, we will have a shot at the window that opens in a couple of years.

Or I might ask what you mean by compete and win… Is that winning more than 50% or be one of two last teams? 

I'm not the one you should be asking... Its EP, who says he wants to win... I have a feeling, that if he is honest about that, he won't hang around for a total rebuild...

Your guess is as good as mine... 

But if it is tanking for Bedard it would mean being one of the last two teams, which doesn't sound much like winning...

• Cheers 1