The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Targetting a young D man (Buffalo)

Sabres have Dahlin and Power coming in soon (who apparently had some rumors he didn't want to play for Buffalo this season).

Do the Canucks go after one of them to fill much needed minute eating defense that lacks 2-3 top 4 depth (outside Hughes)?

Wondering if a 3 way deal between 2 Eastern Conferences for Miller, Boeser or Horvat....Team A gives the Canucks a 1st and Team B (Buffalo) trades a very young and ready to go next season player like Power (considered not elite but generational talent)?

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

is Jokiharju any good, ? young big RHD on buffalo playing about 20 min a night?

He's probably playing a bit higher in Buffalo's lineup than he should, 'cause their D is not exactly great.

Has some good all around ability but is yet to put it together.

He's not exactly the shutdown RD type we are looking for.

Edited by kanucks25

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know this is unlikely, but is there any chance JR is in on trying to acquire Jakob Chychrun?  

What would that trade cost the Canucks?

Arizona likely asks for 1st + Pod, which is obviously a no for us.

With Hughes and OEL locked up long-term, we don't have room for another big LHD contract anyway.

Somewhat related side-note: probably should have asked Arizona to throw Lyubushkin in that deal instead of signing Poolman.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Schenn for Liljegren?

Timmy is only 22 (but he grew or something - 6'1" around 200) and he's a right shot D.

He could develop nicely with the young core.  TOR is looking for playoff help now.

Schenn could probably get us a 3rd, which likely isn't enough.

However I do imagine the Leafs would like an upgrade on him for the playoffs. They've run Sandin - Liljegren as the 3rd pair for a lot of the season and I'm not sure how comfortable they are with that in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Sabres have Dahlin and Power coming in soon (who apparently had some rumors he didn't want to play for Buffalo this season).

Do the Canucks go after one of them to fill much needed minute eating defense that lacks 2-3 top 4 depth (outside Hughes)?

Wondering if a 3 way deal between 2 Eastern Conferences for Miller, Boeser or Horvat....Team A gives the Canucks a 1st and Team B (Buffalo) trades a very young and ready to go next season player like Power (considered not elite but generational talent)?

Power 19, 6'4,will be a  elite D man Canucks would have to offer something very big... The cost would be to high for Powers..

I think we should get serious with the NYR..The NYR have so many young good players under 23..

I would love to see Schneider 20, 6'2, 205-Future #2 OR # 3 D MAN for next 10 yrs..Chytil, 23, 6'3,205  -Barron 23, 6'4 - LW-- 2nd rounder

NYR-- Miller 28, 6'1, 215 , C/W --- Motte 26, 5'10 .W ( Motte 27 in March will demand 3yrs X 2.5 million  UFA}

This trade we get younger and we get the big RD man in Schneider...

The Rangers seem like the best partner with either Garland/Miller in the mix, and Schneider/Lundquist up for grabs. The Rangers have plenty of good defencemen but none of them are elite or untouchable.

Sadly a trade for an elite guy like Power is probably out of the question and the next step down, Chychrun, would be too much to afford. The step down after that is the Schneider/Lundquist area. Basically the same ranking as where they were drafted.

I think Power would be untouchable.

Chychrun would cost a top-6 young winger, a defensive prospect and a 1st (at the least...does that mean Hoglander + Rathbone + 1st). Is that worth it, considering the 1st may be a top-15 pick and Chychrun is in a down year (also a career -53).

Schneider/Lundquist would probably be part of a big deal involving Miller, or maybe 1-for-1 for Garland? I'd do Garland + pick (3rd?) for Schneider in a heart-beat. Miller for Schneider + 1st would be tempting...

Realistically this current Canucks team has not enough NHL-calibre defencemen. OEL is only getting older, Myers is in the end of his prime and Hughes is just starting his. These are 3 NHL defencemen. Then we've got Schenn (who was our/Tampa's 7th guy last year) out-playing himself, and the rest are AHLers. Poolman, it could be argued, is a bottom-pairing NHL defenceman at the best of times.

We need at least 2 NHL-calibre top-4 guys to come in, not just now but in the future to replace OEL and Myers. One of the trades above would be a start. The other route is to just draft a load of them rather than throwing away our picks, but you run the risk of a poor draftee and also their window won't match the rest of our young core's.

To go absolutely nuts and do the above trades for Schneider and Chychrun, we'd shift from forward-heavy to defence-heavy which would suit me, but may not suit Bruce's style of play, and then may have to move OEL out soon...

Our defence next season could be:

Chychrun - Myers

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Poolman

Sure, it would essentially cost us Miller + Hoglander + Rathbone (the 1sts write each other off). We lose a lot of firepower up front which we hope our kids replace, but that defence is much more capable. Can't have a 6-7M guy on our bottom pairing though but he'd still be playing around 20 minutes a night.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, kanucks25 said:

Schenn could probably get us a 3rd, which likely isn't enough.

However I do imagine the Leafs would like an upgrade on him for the playoffs. They've run Sandin - Liljegren as the 3rd pair for a lot of the season and I'm not sure how comfortable they are with that in the playoffs.

Hockey writers have already discussed the idea of adding Schenn to TO.    And Miller.   The returns were rather underwhelming so far at least.

I think Schneider might be off the table. VAN needs good D though, and if NYR don't want to give up Schneider, then I hope Allvin moves on to a team that is willing to make a deal.

I've heard (RW) Kravtsov's name come up, but I'm not really a fan of this. The fact he refuses to play for the Rangers farm team speaks entitlement. Then again, he might have a pretty good case. The Rangers have a good team and depth, so it's tough for him to get any NHL ice time, and might not for some time. I can see why he'd want a better opportunity. He might actually flourish in VAN like Podkolzin seems to be. Kravtsov was taken 9th in 2018, two spots after Hughes. 

But yeah, Canucks need D

On 2/10/2022 at 6:24 AM, smithers joe said:

another small defenseman. schneider fits the bill, better

They need offensive d men especially on the right side. Adam Boqvist is also small but Lundquist is more attainable as the Rangers already have Fox. 

They much rather keep Schneider and have him form a potential shutdown pair with K'Andre Miller imo.

Lundquist is a more realistic and reasonable target could probably be had for Garland for example.