The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Van-Buf/ Van-Arizona

18 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Doubt it. Unprotected First and Rathbone to a team in full rebuild.  

and 2 Swedish pieces and a goalie prospect for a prospect in himself.

Even if the Arizona  one is close (which it isn’t). The Buffalo one is ridiculous. Powers just went 1st Oa last season and their 1st next year has a shot at a generational player in Bedard. 

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Even if the Arizona  one is close (which it isn’t). The Buffalo one is ridiculous. Powers just went 1st Oa last season and their 1st next year has a shot at a generational player in Bedard. 

No promise he plays there. If there’s a sense he’s not going too, would you rather have EP plus plus or nothing? 

Just now, Freeridebc said:

No promise he plays there. If there’s a sense he’s not going too, would you rather have EP plus plus or nothing? 

There is currently zero indication he won’t play there.  So I’m sure Buffalo would rather have a potential #1 D plus whoever they draft in 2023 then a player who is currently struggling and making big bucks. 

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

There is currently zero indication he won’t play there.  So I’m sure Buffalo would rather have a potential #1 D plus whoever they draft in 2023 then a player who is currently struggling and making big bucks. 

There’s alot speculation actually lol

There’s alot speculation actually lol

Is it?  They own the rights to last years 1st OA and aren’t currently in any danger of losing those rights.  And it’s pretty likely their 1st in 2023 is very high as well.  Those are the kind of assets a rebuilding team needs.  A struggling player making $7.35m a year who will likely be UFA before the team is competing doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Is it?  They own the rights to last years 1st OA and aren’t currently in any danger of losing those rights.  And it’s pretty likely their 1st in 2023 is very high as well.  Those are the kind of assets a rebuilding team needs.  A struggling player making $7.35m a year who will likely be UFA before the team is competing doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

A rebuilding team also needs platforms between prospects. I think EP would be better in the East. And G prospects aren’t exactly easy to come by.

You have a Calder winner, a B level goalie prospect and a potential 2nd/3rd liner now, who has shown flashes of goal scoring. Plus like you said, copious picks still coming.

eventually it’s time to s&@$ and get off the pot. 

5 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

A rebuilding team also needs platforms between prospects. I think EP would be better in the East. And G prospects aren’t exactly easy to come by.

You have a Calder winner, a B level goalie prospect and a potential 2nd/3rd liner now, who has shown flashes of goal scoring. Plus like you said, copious picks still coming.

eventually it’s time to s&@$ and get off the pot. 

Now who’s speculating wit your “Petey will do better in the east”.  

Pettersson is valuable. No doubt. But so is a potential #1 D who was just drafted 1st OA less than a year ago.  And you want them to add what will likely be another top 5 pick on top.  DiPietro doesn’t look like an NHL goalie in any way shape or form. Every team in the league has a goalie prospect of his quality.  Hoglander isn’t the difference between them doing it or not. 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Pettersson is valuable. No doubt. But so is a potential #1 D who was just drafted 1st OA less than a year ago.  And you want them to add what will likely be another top 5 pick on top.  DiPietro doesn’t look like an NHL goalie in any way shape or form. Every team in the league has a goalie prospect of his quality.  Hoglander isn’t the difference between them doing it or not. 

He currently has more points than Krebs, has more value than noted for.

Petterson is a 1c, despite struggling. His numbers show it. 

Comparing the package for Jacky boy, to what the return for Petterson could “potentially” be. Make the pick top 5 top 10 protected. 

it’s not unrealistic imo 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Anyway my person, kids up early! Thanks for the back and forth. Cheers

He currently has more points than Krebs, has more value than noted for.

Petterson is a 1c, despite struggling. His numbers show it. 

Comparing the package for Jacky boy, to what the return for Petterson could “potentially” be. Make the pick top 5 top 10 protected. 

it’s not unrealistic imo 

Not unrealistic?

How many players selected 1st overall have been traded less than a year after being drafted.  Don’t include Lindros because that doesn’t apply here. 

Realistically I don't think those picks get moved, we'd have to give more. Something like:

TO BUF: Pettersson + 1st round pick

TO VAN: Powers + 3rd round pick

Powers is generational but Petey is more proven, Buffalo may want more, give them Dipietro too? They may still say no.

TO ARI: Rathbone + BUF 3rd + VAN 2nd + Hoglander

TO VAN: Chychrun

Asking price for Chychrun is basically a top young player (Hoglander), a decent prospect (Rathbone) + 1st (High 2nd + 3rd?), they may well still say no.

I'd consider it though, we lose a top-6 center (Petey), a top-6 future winger (Hoglander) a high 1st and 2nd for two top-2 defencemen who may be stars in the future and are hard to come by. Sure, we lose 4 quality players but we can replace these guys.

You'd have to then look at a deal involving Miller for picks and prospects and maybe even Garland, and look for another young center though.

4 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

Van- Petterson/Hoglander/Dipietro and a 2nd.

Buf- Powers and a first 2023

Van- First 2023 unprotected from Buf/ Rathbone

Arizona- Chychrun and a 4th.

flame away.

Powers 19, 6'4 will be a dominating D man #1. and a 1st top 10 pick?? Serious?-- Van

Pettersson, Hoglander, 2nd rounder--Diepietro  ---Not enough. -- (((Starts with -----Hughes - Boeser-- 1st rounder 2022 

Chychrun-- Van

Rathbone--- Podkolzin -- 1st rounder..

Those 2 deals would kill the Canucks talent.... Those deal will never happen..

Deal that should happen....

Miller 28 -- Motte 26 UFA -- NYR

Schneider 20, 6'2,  205, RD-- Chytil 23,  6;2, 205 6;3 C - Barron 22, 6'4 LW --- 2nd rounder

Also trade Dickinson -- Maybe Boeser if you can't sign for avg cap hit of 5 yrs X 6.4 - 6.6 million

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Realistically I don't think those picks get moved, we'd have to give more. Something like:

TO BUF: Pettersson + 1st round pick

TO VAN: Powers + 3rd round pick

Powers is generational but Petey is more proven, Buffalo may want more, give them Dipietro too? They may still say no.

TO ARI: Rathbone + BUF 3rd + VAN 2nd + Hoglander

TO VAN: Chychrun

Asking price for Chychrun is basically a top young player (Hoglander), a decent prospect (Rathbone) + 1st (High 2nd + 3rd?), they may well still say no.

I'd consider it though, we lose a top-6 center (Petey), a top-6 future winger (Hoglander) a high 1st and 2nd for two top-2 defencemen who may be stars in the future and are hard to come by. Sure, we lose 4 quality players but we can replace these guys.

You'd have to then look at a deal involving Miller for picks and prospects and maybe even Garland, and look for another young center though.

Buffalo are dreaming over Powers and see him as a core building block.  Doubt they have any interest in trading him.  They are also trying to change their culture so don't see them having interest in Pettersson.  He's too close to UFA and stated that he wants to play on a winning team - Buffalo are in a rebuild.  

GMs are saying that the price for Chychrun is sky high - the ask is the equivalent of 3x 1st round picks per Marek who lists the Burns trade as basis.   That feels rather insufficient and easily beatable by other teams.  There's considerable interest in Chychrun but they are waiting to get what they want.

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Buffalo are dreaming over Powers and see him as a core building block.  Doubt they have any interest in trading him.  They are also trying to change their culture so don't see them having interest in Pettersson.  He's too close to UFA and stated that he wants to play on a winning team - Buffalo are in a rebuild.  

GMs are saying that the price for Chychrun is sky high - the ask is the equivalent of 3x 1st round picks per Marek who lists the Burns trade as basis.   That feels rather insufficient and easily beatable by other teams.  There's considerable interest in Chychrun but they are waiting to get what they want.

I agree that Powers isn't going anywhere but I wonder what Chychrun's price is. He's having a pretty bad season and is a career -53, but Arizona will still ask for the moon. They've been reported that his asking price is a young top-6 forward (Hoglander), a top prospect (Rathbone) and a 1st (would be quite high if it were the Canucks'). I wonder if that's enough, or even if that is worth it...

I'm not sure what other teams' packages would look like but just for argument's sake, if the New York Rangers really wanted him for a Cup run now, I doubt they would part with Kakko + Lundquist/Schneider + 1st, that's far too much quality.