The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver pharmacist sues London Drugs for wrongful dismissal over COVID jab order

Eom

I am wondering what the law would do about a more deadly virus, like Ebola, or worse? Where the infected are basically in house arrest. What happened in Toronto with HINI?

Were people allowed to ignore the public health order?

I asked my friend who is an anti-vaxxer if he would get then vaccine if the mortality rate was 50% for those that were not vaccinated..........he said yes he would. I laughed!

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Companies can willy nilly tell all their employees to abide by their rules and regulations. It is their absolute right and also their responsibility as employers of people. She is not the only person invovled. She has colleagues and customers whos health and safety is equal to her own. She is a higher risk as, without being vaxxed, she can both contract and spread the virus more easily compared to her vaxxed colleagues and customers. Nobody is forcing her or anyone else to get vaxxed and it is clear what the options are. If you don't want or agree with company rules then you have no right to demand to work for that company and in this case you would be put on unpaid leave. She could still work if she got vaxxed and she chose not to. Her choice. Her preference. 

It is absolutely black and white in this case and super simple. This is an example of entitlement. 

I am sure Canadians can co habitate just fine however to fail to reach a simple standard means you won't have the same privilege as those who reach that standard. I mean what are we even talking about here? 

I don't wanna do what I have to do but I want to keep stuff that I have without doing the stuff I need to do to keep them. Entitlement. 

Right in the first line of your comments is the key. Anti-Vaxxer, think they have an Absolute Right, to which there is no such thing. All rights come with conditions. And if you meet the conditions, then you have the right. But to say absolute, is a fallacy, and it very wrong. There may be some, but I can't think of any at the moment. They always come with what if's.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Right in the first line of your comments is the key. Anti-Vaxxer, think they have an Absolute Right, to which there is no such thing. All rights come with conditions. And if you meet the conditions, then you have the right. But to say absolute, is a fallacy, and it very wrong. There may be some, but I can't think of any at the moment. They always come with what if's.

Exactly.  There's some industries in Canada that still test for cannabis.  While I think that's pretty messed up, I simply choose to not work in that field.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Hmmmm.......Just day dreaming, now, But here is one for you.

So, a company requires you to wear PPE for your job. Including a face mask, and steel shoes. But you say no, I would never step on a nail, and if I do, then I will just go to the hospital and get repaired.......I might be off for 2 weeks, but I have sick days, so I will be ok..............

The Company fires them for non-compliance.......................could they get sued? and would the company Loose?

I would think not!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

One comment on FB - makes it sound like maybe the COVID thing wasn't their only grounds for firing the pharmacist,

"This is the SAME pharmacist I filed a complaint against in 2018 after she refused to fill my migraine medication (one I'd be on for 6 years at that point) for no reason other than she thought she could (she couldn't, and the pharmacy manager at the time rectified the situation.) The only real reprimand she got, to my knowledge, was having to review how she interacted with customers - but after filing my complaint she purposely went out of her way to make sure I was treated like garbage every time I went to the pharmacy thereafter. Nice to see KARMA finally caught up to her. If someone doesn't want to get vaccinated then that's fully their choice - but sometimes there are consequences to the choices we make. I feel much better shopping there, and filling my medication there now, knowing I won't be consulting with an un-vaxxed pharmacist and putting myself at risk (when I'm already considered high-risk as it is.) Good riddance, and good on London Drugs for protecting both their staff and customers from clowns like this!"

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  There's some industries in Canada that still test for cannabis.  While I think that's pretty messed up, I simply choose to not work in that field.

I play in a band with a guy who works as a heavy equipment operator at the coal terminal here in PR. He's one of those guys who gets tested and it isn't just for Cannabis. If we're rehearsing and he has to work the next day, he won't have a beer.....

Ironically, he's one of those anti-vaxxers.

He's not an idiot (he's actually really smart) but has a deep distrust of the government, especially a Liberal or NDP government. That being said, he's not like these Freedumb folks. He jokingly refers to himself as a leper and follows all the mandates. Doesn't eat out, or frequent public spaces....wears a mask if he absolutely has to go to the grocery store.....

Just to make it even stranger, his adult son works at Shoppers Pharmacy.....

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just as a side note?

My own boss was much more afraid of the opposite.  What if she allowed un vaxxed employee's on site?

And they infected other employee's, trades, customers?

Suit for wrongful death, disability...

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

What if she went to work and gave Covid to a co-worker who then int turn died? Now, if London Drugs allowed her to work, would they be liable for the co-worker death?

Or even greater?, what if she gave it to a customer, and that customer died? Does the company not have the right to protect its-self from litigation?

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

The point you're missing is that no one HAS to do anything as a term of employment. However, you may need to find another job, that's all. 

Firefighters have to go through rigorous physical testing...maybe I don't want to put my body through that.

There are certain things that may be required of us in the workplace....you aren't being "forced" to do them, you're being forced to make a decision about where/what you want to do for work. Choices and freedoms are part of that.

Come on over I'm fully vaxxed we will have a cup of coffee chat etc then you will go home with covid. It doesn't matter if youre vaxxed or not you can still get it and transmit it. You wear the masks to protect others in public spaces which I'm 100% for you take the vaccine to protect yourself and prevent hospitals from being over run. 

Where this is going is all employers will require their employees to be vaxxed so be vaxxed or don't work.... I don't agree with that in principle. I think vaccines should be strongly suggested. 90% of sensible people are vaccinated the 10% who aren't have dug their heels in. So now we what make them social pariahs, take their jobs away, put them all on an island together? 

Where I'm at is if 90% of the pop are vaxxed and hospitals are still being over run vaxing the other 10% isn't the problem the problem is the vaccine isn't working the virus will continue to mutate. The virus is here to stay we aren't eradicating it like polio etc were gonna be getting annual boosters for the rest of our lives or until a permanent solution is found. The 10% aren't the super spreaders come over I'm vaxxed ill give it to you. In fact I would argue that the asymptomatic vaxxed people who don't know they have it are the ones who are most likely to spread the virus and of course the imbicile anti maskers those guys can walk backwards through a field of schlongs. 

Where I'm at with this is please get Vaxed to protect yourself. But regardless of your choice for god sakes wear a mask to protect others. 1 makes more sense to me to be compulsory the other I'm fine with being a strong suggestion. People make poor choices every day people smoke people drink, they drive internal combustion engines that warm the planet and will kill us all. 90% vaxxination should be enough to flatten the curve. Should non vaxxed people have to pay more for medical insurance imo absolutely they should I don't want to pay for your hospital bills if you didn't chose to protect yourself. But I'm fine going to work with someone who didn't vax I've done my part to protect myself and others so as long as youre doing your part to protect others too weather or not you protected yourself meh I'm not gonna hold you down and put a needle in your arm or send you home tell you you cant support your family because I saw you smoking a cigarette in the parking lot. In an ideal world hopefully everyone would get vaxxed but in reality you're never going to get to 100% without forcing people against their will and that's where I get off the Vax bus.

46 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Come on over I'm fully vaxxed we will have a cup of coffee chat etc then you will go home with covid. It doesn't matter if youre vaxxed or not you can still get it and transmit it. You wear the masks to protect others in public spaces which I'm 100% for you take the vaccine to protect yourself and prevent hospitals from being over run. 

Where this is going is all employers will require their employees to be vaxxed so be vaxxed or don't work.... I don't agree with that in principle. I think vaccines should be strongly suggested. 90% of sensible people are vaccinated the 10% who aren't have dug their heels in. So now we what make them social pariahs, take their jobs away, put them all on an island together? 

Where I'm at is if 90% of the pop are vaxxed and hospitals are still being over run vaxing the other 10% isn't the problem the problem is the vaccine isn't working the virus will continue to mutate. The virus is here to stay we aren't eradicating it like polio etc were gonna be getting annual boosters for the rest of our lives or until a permanent solution is found. The 10% aren't the super spreaders come over I'm vaxxed ill give it to you. In fact I would argue that the asymptomatic vaxxed people who don't know they have it are the ones who are most likely to spread the virus and of course the imbicile anti maskers those guys can walk backwards through a field of schlongs. 

Where I'm at with this is please get Vaxed to protect yourself. But regardless of your choice for god sakes wear a mask to protect others. 1 makes more sense to me to be compulsory the other I'm fine with being a strong suggestion. People make poor choices every day people smoke people drink, they drive internal combustion engines that warm the planet and will kill us all. 90% vaxxination should be enough to flatten the curve. Should non vaxxed people have to pay more for medical insurance imo absolutely they should I don't want to pay for your hospital bills if you didn't chose to protect yourself. But I'm fine going to work with someone who didn't vax I've done my part to protect myself and others so as long as youre doing your part to protect others too weather or not you protected yourself meh I'm not gonna hold you down and put a needle in your arm or send you home tell you you cant support your family because I saw you smoking a cigarette in the parking lot. In an ideal world hopefully everyone would get vaxxed but in reality you're never going to get to 100% without forcing people against their will and that's where I get off the Vax bus.

We need to remember that delta hasn't gone away either and the vaccine was pretty good against it, even better with the booster.  When the omicron wave subsides, delta will likely still be here.  Current restrictions will be loosened, but just back to delta level, imo.  

There's still a lot of unvaxxed people for delta to work through and that can and has clogged up our hospitals on its own.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Also, if you have a breakthrough infection, you can definitely transmit, however, studies are showing that the shots and boosters are still holding pretty strong against infection for delta and even omicron, though less effective.  So while they might not reduce transmission much if you're already infected, it's doing a pretty decent job against infection to begin with

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o298

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Absolutely. 

It's the complete and utter denial of consequences of choices we make. I mean most of the time, if not all times, you are aware of the consequences of your choices either through law or common sense. 

It's literally like suing the cops for pulling you over without a license because "well I wanna drive and I should be allowed to because I wanna"

You have the right to drive IF you have a valid drivers license

You have the right to enter this store IF you are wearing pants

You have the right to continue to work here IF you agree to follow our rules

You are allowed to dine here IF you stop screaming at other guests

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeltaSwede said:

Absolutely. 

It's the complete and utter denial of consequences of choices we make. I mean most of the time, if not all times, you are aware of the consequences of your choices either through law or common sense. 

It's literally like suing the cops for pulling you over without a license because "well I wanna drive and I should be allowed to because I wanna"

You have the right to drive IF you have a valid drivers license

You have the right to enter this store IF you are wearing pants

You have the right to continue to work here IF you agree to follow our rules

You are allowed to dine here IF you stop screaming at other guests

uh sorry mister.  I wasn't driving!  I was *traveling*.  I am a sovereign citizen.  Your laws do not apply to me.

Nor do laws seem to apply to WASP truckers in Ottawa.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

My wife is a Pharmacist.

The College of Pharmacists mandated that all Pharmacists needed to get vaccinated.

It is also my understanding this person had the choice to get vaccinated or tested all the time..

How anyone with ethics could deal with immune compromised  patients on a daily basis and not be vaccinated is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My wife is a Pharmacist.

The College of Pharmacists mandated that all Pharmacists needed to get vaccinated.

It is also my understanding this person had the choice to get vaccinated or tested all the time..

How anyone with ethics could deal with immune compromised  patients on a daily basis and not be vaccinated is beyond my comprehension.

Hopefully her lawyer ain't working 'pro bono' :lol:

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Society has many reason they want you Vaxxed

The most important, out side of keeping you alive, is so that Hospitals do not get over run all at one time. Vaxxed people reduce the amount of people hospitalized by Covid, and certainly reduce the amount of people in ICU.

Imagine one of your loved ones being Immunity Compromised, and not being able to get a hospital bed, because there are so many Anti-vaxxers taking up beds.

Imagine having to tell that little girl that she can not have surgery because the hospital is full of people that are there, just because the did not care about her health.

Yes, vaxxed people can get sick, but the Vaccine reduces the number of them that need to go to the hospital. I have now had approx. 200 friends and acquaintances that have had Covid, and none have had to go to the hospital....................

To me, that implies the vaccine works and is helping keep the hospital clear................it is simple as that!.......extrapulate it for other diseases, and reasons...........

Now tell me, an Anti-vaxxers rights are more important...............F......them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

The most important, out side of keeping you alive, is so that Hospitals do not get over run all at one time. Vaxxed people reduce the amount of people hospitalized by Covid, and certainly reduce the amount of people in ICU.

Imagine one of your loved ones being Immunity Compromised, and not being able to get a hospital bed, because there are so many Anti-vaxxers taking up beds.

Imagine having to tell that little girl that she can not have surgery because the hospital is full of people that are there, just because the did not care about her health.

Yes, vaxxed people can get sick, but the Vaccine reduces the number of them that need to go to the hospital. I have now had approx. 200 friends and acquaintances that have had Covid, and none have had to go to the hospital....................

To me, that implies the vaccine works and is helping keep the hospital clear................it is simple as that!.......extrapulate it for other diseases, and reasons...........

Now tell me, an Anti-vaxxers rights are more important...............F......them!

Here is one more outstanding factor.

Vaccinated save Anti-Vaxxers lives, by being vaccinated...............

Think about that for a second!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I'm not arguing against vaccines at all. Quite the contrary. I'm vaccinated and I support everyone being vaccinated. 

The reality is though the people who aren't aren't gonna change their minds. So as far as I'm concerned as long as they wear masks like everyone else and have to pay more for medical insurance I'm fine with them remaining un vaxxed it's a very small % of Canadians.. They are no more likely to transmit the virus than you or I. Infact vaccinated people are far more likely to spread the virus because most won't know they have it and continue going about their normal daily activities. 

I don't give a flying F if they protect themselves as long as they are protecting others and that applies to both vaxxed and non vaxxed.

I don't think anyone's rights are more important than anyone else. 

The reality is though that every single employer in every industry is likely to impose vaccine policies whether its construction, commercial, fishing, trucking, govt, forestry, industrial. 

When you start telling 50 year-old journeymen plumbers they have to get an IT job they can do from home because it's the only industry left for them. There's gonna be pipe bombs on parliament hill or toilets backing up in every city in the country. 

The road were on is a rocky one when you start taking peoples livelihoods away. It's easy to say well just get the jab. But these people arent gonna change their minds there is no reasoning with them their intrenched. I say fine whatever you do you man ill be with the 90%. When you go to the hospital it's on your dime not mine. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Here is one more outstanding factor.

Vaccinated save Anti-Vaxxers lives, by being vaccinated...............

Think about that for a second!

Can you elaborate. I'm vaxxed I have covid i'll give it to you. Thankfully I have symptoms or I'd be wandering around town right now giving it to people. 

I mean were talking about 10% or less of Canadians here. They aren't the problem. The problem is the virus keeps mutating and the Vaccine doesn't protect you from getting it or transmitting it. It only makes you less sick.

Edited by hammertime

44 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The road were on is a rocky one when you start taking peoples livelihoods away. It's easy to say well just get the jab. But these people arent gonna change their minds there is no reasoning with them their intrenched. I say fine whatever you do you man ill be with the 90%. When you go to the hospital it's on your dime not mine.

I'm fine with the bolded, although personally I'd just consider not taking the vaccine to be considered opting out of any medical treatment for Covid.  The problem is that when this is suggested, the very same people who are supporting the terrorists throwing a tantrum in Ottawa aren't ok with that either.

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Can you elaborate. I'm vaxxed I have covid i'll give it to you. Thankfully I have symptoms or I'd be wandering around town right now giving it to people. 

I mean were talking about 10% or less of Canadians here. They aren't the problem. The problem is the virus keeps mutating and the Vaccine doesn't protect you from getting it or transmitting it. It only makes you less sick.

Ok, so 90% of Canadians over 5 years of age are Vaccinated............the mortality rate and the Hospitalization rates, of Vaxxers vs Anti -Vaxxers are substantially different, and with the majority being Vaccinated, they remain out of the hospital, so that Vaxxers get much better care.................

What if Hospitalizations were close in percentage, but mortality rates were not. Then nurses and doctors would have to treat everyone the same. Aka less attention  to hospitalized Anti-Vaxxers...................

This is not happening, because Vaxxers have reduced Hospitalizations and Mortality....................there for their decision to get vaccinated, saves lives, and opens up beds for others that may need them..............that is for the greater good of Society..........

What are Anti-Vaxxers doing for the greater good of Society?