The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I actually feel like the 5/6/7 D are actually developing under Boudreau

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

58 minutes ago, brownky said:

The guys who need to play simple, play simple.

What was the first thing he did in drills? Get guys putting the puck off the glass/boards and out. Simple plays.

Other team can't realistically score from outside the blue line, so if you're hemmed in and getting thrashed, get the puck out on an easy play. Don't try to be a hero.

What are our 'simple play' guys doing? Looking like rock stars because they're staying in their lane, doing exactly what they are good at. Example: Burroughs is good at being in the way and hitting people. So he's not trying to deke through 4 guys to score... he's short-passing to a puck 'mover' or just chipping it out if there's nobody open, and hitting guys himself. Simple plays to stop goals against. 

I think sometimes it gets lost that a great shift can be one that you 'just don't get scored on'. Tie up their top players for a minute or two, hit them, and get off the ice. They get worn down, and your scorers get their chance to shine too.

Great points, and I think we can all break it down to the fact the Bruce is an amazing communicator with his players. There are no questions about what your duty is as a player on the ice. Great coaches know how to get though to each and every player they have available to them. You can’t win a cup without everyone towing the line and doing their part. 

I’ve always been hard on Bruce for his lack of playoff success, but the more I get to know him as a coach he has really cemented it for me that I’m wrong and most of his playoff success/failure has been due to the randomness of the playoffs…if you run into a hot goalie or your team just has too many injuries, those can spell death in a playoff run…the one thing Bruce does consistently is get teams into the playoffs, if he keeps knocking on that door he will eventually break thru and to the finals. I think for us a fan base that’s something we all want to see again. 

10 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Great points, and I think we can all break it down to the fact the Bruce is an amazing communicator with his players. There are no questions about what your duty is as a player on the ice. Great coaches know how to get though to each and every player they have available to them. You can’t win a cup without everyone towing the line and doing their part. 

I’ve always been hard on Bruce for his lack of playoff success, but the more I get to know him as a coach he has really cemented it for me that I’m wrong and most of his playoff success/failure has been due to the randomness of the playoffs…if you run into a hot goalie or your team just has too many injuries, those can spell death in a playoff run…the one thing Bruce does consistently is get teams into the playoffs, if he keeps knocking on that door he will eventually break thru and to the finals. I think for us a fan base that’s something we all want to see again. 

I was thinking the same as you about Boudreau. What I really like is simply listening to him talk hockey. I really like his detail and he is entertaining in the process.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We actually have incredible depth at RD, despite the tired narrative to the contrary. 

We do have depth on RD now, problem is that we're thin at the top.

And pretty much the opposite problem @ LD.

Edited by kanucks25

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was thinking the same as you about Boudreau. What I really like is simply listening to him talk hockey. I really like his detail and he is entertaining in the process.  

it is like day and night when you listen to Travis and Bruce. Should have never extended Travis Green. Season 2020/2021 hasn't been great, but from my perspective this season hasn't been analyzed by Jim Benning and his staff properly to identify the root causes for the poor performance.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Agreed, I had no about his path through hockey. He just lives and breathes it. It makes sense why he can evaluate players so well. He has seen what it takes to get to the nhl when you’re scraping by in the bottom leagues. By all accounts he should have gotten a better sniff at the nhl during his playing days. His points per game at the nhl level are nothing to sneeze it. 

He then starts again at the bottom coaching in lesser leagues and works his way up to the Hershey Bears then eventually onto the Capitals…he has taken the long path to the nhl both times as a player and a coach. You gotta have a strong passion for the game to get as far as he has. Bravo Bruce, he in himself is a great story of perseverance. 

• Cheers 1

Our D has definitely taken a step forward under Boudreau. The Juolevi (9 games, 0 points) for Juulsen and Lammikko trade looks like it may be a win long term as Juho is playing well on the 4th line and works his a$$ off. To me, I don't see any reason why Juulsen or Burroughs should take a back seat to Poolman when he's healthy. Obviously Poolman making $2.5 will be difficult not to play him I just don't see how he's an upgrade, especially when Hamonic is back. If we can find a way to get some more offense from OEL that will go a long way. I would like to see Rathbone back in the lineup and how Bruce would utilize him vs. how Green did. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Agreed, I had no about his path through hockey. He just lives and breathes it. It makes sense why he can evaluate players so well. He has seen what it takes to get to the nhl when you’re scraping by in the bottom leagues. By all accounts he should have gotten a better sniff at the nhl during his playing days. His points per game at the nhl level are nothing to sneeze it. 

He then starts again at the bottom coaching in lesser leagues and works his way up to the Hershey Bears then eventually onto the Capitals…he has taken the long path to the nhl both times as a player and a coach. You gotta have a strong passion for the game to get as far as he has. Bravo Bruce, he in himself is a great story of perseverance. 

I can remember Bruce playing for the Laffers on the old CBC HNIC. He was fast. That said I cannot remember any detail other than I hated the Laffers then as much as now. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Impressed with these guys too. Burroughs taking on the bigger Crouse and doing really well. Juulsen has also done well, two assists last night?  He makes smart plays and has a bit of size, enough to play physical, and he's only 24 and a RD.  The only thing with Juulsen is he needs to work on his skating a bit (edges/turns).  He could be a good #6/7 next season, he's cheap. Funny, watching Juulsen and Chychrun, I'm not sure who was better in the game. I think Noah was actually. Chychrun can't skate either and he looks like a jerk. LOVED it when Podkolzin pushed back, shoving Chychrun into the boards and battling.

What about Schenn?  A lot of talk about trading this guy, but he's so solid, such a good team mate, a veteran mentor who's won the Cup twice, a physical presence. He only makes $850K and has an extra year left on his contract. Keep this guy!

IMO, Poolman could be dealt.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

?? - Hamonic

Juulsen

Burroughs

Rathbone

I keep forgetting about Hamonic, but if he can return and be a solid physical player again, it doesn't look so bad. 

I honestly hope so-  It will be interesting to know if other GM's see Poolman's value at $2.5 though that may be the roadblock in moving him. He's a fringe NHL player whos never been a full time contributor. At 28, it's not like he's got a bunch of room to grow - at this point he is who he is....which to my eyes is a 7th D/AHL defenseman. 

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I always thought Juulsen was an interesting prospect on the other teams he was on, he just never got a proper chance. Tonight against a rubbish Arizona team and with Hughes out, he made the most of his opportunities with 2 assists and some nice play. He's been pretty good under Bruce, I hope he keeps it up. As long as he doesn't make any stupid plays or mistakes, he's a really good option for our bottom pairing.

Burroughs, Hunt and Juulsen are basically all AHLers on just about any other NHL team but because we're so thin on defence, one injury ends up with these guys playing top-4 minutes so it's good to see them a bit more comfortable under Boudreau. To be honest I think it's just the system we play now, before the forwards gambled a lot and didn't help out defensively so we'd end up with so many odd-man rushes against our defencemen, whereas under Bruce it seems as though we forecheck and defend better as a unit so our defencemen are better protected on the rush.

Yeah i agree with this 100%

I think theres JR gets some really interesting options if he can unload some of Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, potentially Myers. Myers is probably the only one who we wont need to retain salary for or incentivize another team to take out of those 3, because he's played well this year. 

A proper shutdown defenseman to play with OEL would go a long way. It'd allow him to activate offensively like we saw him do yesterday, make us way better on the penalty kill, and if we've got OEL jumping in offensively that should help our forwards production too. 

One more winger who can actually finish and has a decent shooting % would be ideal to replace Pearson. 

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

I honestly hope so-  It will be interesting to know if other GM's see Poolman's value at $2.5 though that may be the roadblock in moving him. He's a fringe NHL player whos never been a full time contributor. At 28, it's not like he's got a bunch of room to grow - at this point he is who he is....which to my eyes is a 7th D/AHL defenseman. 

2.5 is pretty rough for Poolman. Like you said, he's playing like a bottom pairing defenseman that needs sheltering, so 1-1.5m is probably fair value. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

We do have depth on RD now, problem is that we're thin at the top.

And pretty much the opposite problem @ LD.

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Our D has definitely taken a step forward under Boudreau. The Juolevi (9 games, 0 points) for Juulsen and Lammikko trade looks like it may be a win long term as Juho is playing well on the 4th line and works his a$$ off. To me, I don't see any reason why Juulsen or Burroughs should take a back seat to Poolman when he's healthy. Obviously Poolman making $2.5 will be difficult not to play him I just don't see how he's an upgrade, especially when Hamonic is back. If we can find a way to get some more offense from OEL that will go a long way. I would like to see Rathbone back in the lineup and how Bruce would utilize him vs. how Green did. 

The KHL regular season is over.

His Team is out of the playoffs.

Signed for one more season in the KHL for roughly 1m usd.

He is ours until Aug. 1st.

a small buy out of his contract is a possibility..

and I think Boudreau speaks a little Russian ;) 

44BF6366-693B-4A66-A9E7-5FF00335CC90.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The KHL regular season is over.

His Team is out of the playoffs.

Signed for one more season in the KHL for roughly 1m usd.

He is ours until Aug. 1st.

a small buy out of his contract is a possibility..

and I think Boudreau speaks a little Russian ;) 

44BF6366-693B-4A66-A9E7-5FF00335CC90.jpeg

The forgotten man. I hope the new GM takes a look at what is still a free assett to the club. They may see him in a different light

Edited by Fred65
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Teams are for sure interested in him.  TO writers are drooling at the thought of him right now.   Funny how the players we don't want to trade, other teams want.   Cap.   Money.  Schenn and Motte both punch well above their pay scale.  So does Miller.   Garland hasn't entered his prime years yet and already looks good. 

Unless he requests a trade to chase another cup, he is the prefect stop gap for Woo coming up in 2023/2024. If we can get rid of poolman and Hamonic a deadline for whatever we can get (free up 5.5m), then go sign a big physical RD for the up to 5m

2022/2023 D

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone/Burroughs/Juulsen-FA RD

2023/2024

OEL-Myers

Hughes-FA RD

Rathbone/Burroughs/Juulsen-Woo

Even explore options at TDL for Myers next year, as his contract will be more palatable (1 year left); use that $$ to sign another FA Defensive RD. That could free OEL up more.

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah i agree with this 100%

I think theres JR gets some really interesting options if he can unload some of Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, potentially Myers. Myers is probably the only one who we wont need to retain salary for or incentivize another team to take out of those 3, because he's played well this year. 

A proper shutdown defenseman to play with OEL would go a long way. It'd allow him to activate offensively like we saw him do yesterday, make us way better on the penalty kill, and if we've got OEL jumping in offensively that should help our forwards production too. 

One more winger who can actually finish and has a decent shooting % would be ideal to replace Pearson. 

I'm a guy that always craps all over Pearson. In his absence, you can see his value; hes big and always seems to be in the right spots to create chances or havoc. Hands of stone and floaty sometimes...yes, but he is effective. My tune changed; he is ok in a 3/2 line scenario

35 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'm a guy that always craps all over Pearson. In his absence, you can see his value; hes big and always seems to be in the right spots to create chances or havoc. Hands of stone and floaty sometimes...yes, but he is effective. My tune changed; he is ok in a 3/2 line scenario

I mean - as a third liner sure, but if he's just throwing pucks at the crest of the goalie while he's playing on line 1 and 2, opportunities are dying on his stick and someone else should really be there to finish those chances. 

The problem with him on the third line is he's really only a great forechecker, and 3.25m is a lot to pay a guy for forechecking. Motte, Lammikko, and Highmore seem to bring a lot of similar qualities and come in a lot less expensive