The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] February 9, 2022 NY Islanders @ Vancouver Canucks at 7:30 on SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I have a feeling it may be Hoglander.

Better not be.

I thought Hoglander had a decent game. I don’t think taking him out again is the solution if you want him to develop.

What about Dowling in for Dickinson? There’s a guy that deserves to sit.

Edited by DeNiro

18 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

OEL puts up another 3 points and shows everyone how good he is when he's not tasked with being a shutdown guy. 

OEL has excelled at being the shutdown guy too.  Before the last wave of COVID, I was reading an article about how the underlying defensive numbers for the team and especially for OEL were some of the best in the league, and huge strides better than last year.  I think much of that is thanks to Brad Shaw.  He's found a way to energize OEL's game.  Another part of the team's better defensive numbers has been QH and Myers' new commitment to being better defensively, which they certainly have been.  On top of that, Poolman has improved steadily under Shaw's tutelage, Burroughs has been better than expected, and Schenn has been, well, Shenn.  I thought the PP looked more dangerous with OEL working the point, that arial pass to Bo was a thing of beauty, and he seems to get the puck to Petey's wheelhouse more often.  Bruce should flip flop him and QH for a few games to see if PP1 gets better. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Better not be.

I thought Hoglander had a decent game. I don’t think taking him out again is the solution if you want him to develop.

What about Dowling in for Dickinson? There’s a guy that deserves to sit.

Bruce might not have liked that penalty 200 ft from his own zone.

Even saw Dickinson move up onto the third line with Petey and Podz in the third period and Hoglander sat in the third period. Bruce mentioned in the post game conference he moved Dickinson to that line "to send a message to one of our players". You can tell Bruce isn't quite a fan of Hoglander right now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

OEL puts up another 3 points and shows everyone how good he is when he's not tasked with being a shutdown guy. 

The way he got that shot through on the PP last night made me think he really should stay in that position. That release was so quick and lethal from the point.

It's a really tough one because Hughes is obviously our best player, and one of the best passers (arguably in this Conference!) - how can we use both of them to the best of their ability? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I have a feeling it may be Hoglander.

I do too. I don't know what Bruce's issue is with Hoglander. The guy competes hard and his work ethic is top notch. That is like Bruces #1 ask. So what, he makes the occasional mistake? He creates so many chances, although sometimes finish is an issue. He is hard on the puck and plays with speed. Chaser just goes for a skate, Dickinson is making Sutter look tough, and Hunt is a minus every time he steps on the ice. I just don't get it. There a plenty of other plays to hold accountable first, just sure sit the young guy and everyone else gets a pass

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I do too. I don't know what Bruce's issue is with Hoglander. The guy competes hard and his work ethic is top notch. That is like Bruces #1 ask. So what, he makes the occasional mistake? He creates so many chances, although sometimes finish is an issue. He is hard on the puck and plays with speed. Chaser just goes for a skate, Dickinson is making Sutter look tough, and Hunt is a minus every time he steps on the ice. I just don't get it. There a plenty of other plays to hold accountable first, just sure sit the young guy and everyone else gets a pass

Could be the way hogz responds to Bruce's coaching? Maybe shrugs off advice?

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

The way he got that shot through on the PP last night made me think he really should stay in that position. That release was so quick and lethal from the point.

It's a really tough one because Hughes is obviously our best player, and one of the best passers (arguably in this Conference!) - how can we use both of them to the best of their ability? 

Throw em both on the powerplay instead of running four forwards, let Hughes play rover 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Well, Arizona had no one that needed to be shutdown (I'm just joking -- their first line was actually controlling the play quite a bit in our zone in the first and at time here and in the 2nd period after we scored 3 goals).

OEL's little more sneaky with the puck as a PPQB. It's hard to know if he's passing or shooting.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Burroughs also getting heated up and getting everyone fired up

2f3c9c753e1e4c729fe98b352d95a3b2.thumb.jpg.771121c5d7ac40019516d00a8f3b8990.jpg

Holy crap look at the size difference! Love his chippyness. Schenn can’t be the only one out there doing it. Icing on the cake that he got the fans roaring after. Great to see life in rogers arena again.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

All of this is true, but Bruce also wants him to be smart.  That high sticking penalty 200 feet from his own net was unacceptable.  Hogs needs to work on his stick discipline, because he's getting too many of those types of careless penalties to the point where it seems like referees are looking for it.  You don't want to be the target of referees all around the league, ask Alex Burrows.  That said, the three-way passing play between Petey, Pods and Hogs was a work of art.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1