The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Cammi Granato as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Another great hire!! What a great collection of people they’re putting together! 

What I don’t understand, is some peoples comments re: lack of experience for her and some of the other hires.

First, they do have a lot of experience, just not as a agm etc. That comes in time with the job and being mentored / trained. There’s a lot experience around them. 

Second, I’m a stay at home Dad now, but I managed a lot of people for a lot of years. I never understood the whole “we want someone with experience” mentality, but never giving people the opportunity to get that experience. Everyone has to start somewhere! Even people like JR started somewhere. How about the Sedin’s?! We don’t just automatically gain that experience sitting on the couch. Someone has to give them the opportunity, then mentor / train them. They already have a great starting foundation and are smart people. In due time they will masters of their job and probably even move up in time. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, IRR said:

Another great hire!! What a great collection of people they’re putting together! 

What I don’t understand, is some peoples comments re: lack of experience for her and some of the other hires.

First, they do have a lot of experience, just not as a agm etc. That comes in time with the job and being mentored / trained. There’s a lot experience around them. 

Second, I’m a stay at home Dad now, but I managed a lot of people for a lot of years. I never understood the whole “we want someone with experience” mentality, but never giving people the opportunity to get that experience. Everyone has to start somewhere! Even people like JR started somewhere. How about the Sedin’s?! We don’t just automatically gain that experience sitting on the couch. Someone has to give them the opportunity, then mentor / train them. They already have a great starting foundation and are smart people. In due time they will masters of their job and probably even move up in time. 

A lot of NHL players slide into equivalent roles with no managerial experience.  

People are discounting the hockey experience of Emilie and Cammi because it wasn't the NHL.

There is plenty of classical/old school hockey experience in the management team in JR, Allvin, Clancy, the Sedins, Smyl and Johnson as well as many others.  That has been supplemented with some with less traditional experience as part of building a team with a diversity of opinion.  

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when that diversity leads to differences in opinion and see how those are resolved and ultimate decisions are made.

Looking forward to seeing what the next iteration of the Canucks looks like as I think this iteration is currently sitting around its potential, a .500 playoff bubble  level team.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A lot of NHL players slide into equivalent roles with no managerial experience.  

People are discounting the hockey experience of Emilie and Cammi because it wasn't the NHL.

There is plenty of classical/old school hockey experience in the management team in JR, Allvin, Clancy, the Sedins, Smyl and Johnson as well as many others.  That has been supplemented with some with less traditional experience as part of building a team with a diversity of opinion.  

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when that diversity leads to differences in opinion and see how those are resolved and ultimate decisions are made.

Looking forward to seeing what the next iteration of the Canucks looks like as I think this iteration is currently sitting around its potential, a .500 playoff bubble  level team.

Well said! 

Granato is pretty light on management experience.  A couple of years as a scout with Seattle.  

She is a Hockey Hall of Fame inductee (2010) for her playing career and post hockey she has been mostly a broadcaster. 

I'm not sure what qualifies her as AGM to be honest.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Granato is pretty light on management experience.  A couple of years as a scout with Seattle.  

She is a Hockey Hall of Fame inductee (2010) for her playing career and post hockey she has been mostly a broadcaster. 

I don’t either. I am assuming this is not a warm and fuzzy. I always liked the way she played the game even if it was for the USA. Women’s hockey has really progressed since she played. We don’t know her job description? The hire gets a thumbs up because she is a woman. Hires like this if a man get a quick comment or observation and then the attention goes back to the players. Likely this will be the eventual process.

2 hours ago, IRR said:

Hear hear. My sentiments exactly. 

• Cheers 1

Hopefully she didnt have a big hand in helping select that god awful Seattle team, or this could be a bad hire. She has a great hockey pedigree and obviously a mind for the game, but not much management experience and her only NHL experience is from a dumpster fire organization. I will hold out on judgement until she get the chance to show her value, as we can definitely use some help with more pro scouting. 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The below qualifies her.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s true that her NHL front office experience is limited. Not even two full years working as a pro scout for the expansion Kraken.

However, her experience with hockey itself is undeniable. As a player, she’s considered the best American to have ever played the women’s game, and she’s solidly top-3 all-time in the world. All time scoring leader in international women's hockey. First woman in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Also in the HOF’s for the IIHF and USA Hockey. Lester Patrick Trophy. And a display case full of international medals, including Olympic Gold.

Granato is quite literally a living legend of the game.

And she comes from a pretty noteworthy hockey family.

She also holds a Bachelor’s in Social Sciences (from Providence College) and a Master’s in Sports Administration (from Concordia University).

After her playing career finished, she stayed around the game, working as a broadcaster and analyst for NBC Sports, covering hockey at the Olympics and in the NHL. She’s also coached hockey, just not at high levels (although she was an “unofficial” assistant coach for the USHL team one of her brothers coached years ago and she recently coached Team USA for the Elite Women’s 3-on-3). But she’s also been heavily involved in child/youth hockey, especially for girls, both as a coach (at camps like the Cammi Granato Hockey School) and through charitable works (like the Cammi Granato Hockey Heroes Grant).

Apparently, Granato has had plenty of offers from NHL teams over the years. But because husband Ray Ferraro was already away a lot with his media career, Granato wanted to stay closer to home, valuing stability and being there for their kids over advancing to the highest career position available (a familiar story for many women). So Cammi didn’t take several front office jobs that were available, but NHL teams were certainly interested in her. It wasn’t until the Kraken opportunity presented itself that she finally agreed to an NHL team’s job offer (with Seattle just down the I-5). But the Granato-Ferraros still call Vancouver home, so when the Canucks came calling, it was obviously a perfect fit (not to mention the step up from scout to AGM).

I can understand how people might want to see a few more entries and years on her record of NHL front office experience. But I really don’t think anyone can question her experience level in the sport itself.

I have no doubt that Cammi Granato will immediately command great respect from her peers in front offices around the NHL. And I expect she will be very successful as an AGM for the Vancouver Canucks. :) 

• Cheers 4

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s true that her NHL front office experience is limited. Not even two full years working as a pro scout for the expansion Kraken.

However, her experience with hockey itself is undeniable. As a player, she’s considered the best American to have ever played the women’s game, and she’s solidly top-3 all-time in the world. All time scoring leader in international women's hockey. First woman in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Also in the HOF’s for the IIHF and USA Hockey. Lester Patrick Trophy. And a display case full of international medals, including Olympic Gold.

Granato is quite literally a living legend of the game.

And she comes from a pretty noteworthy hockey family.

She also holds a Bachelor’s in Social Sciences (from Providence College) and a Master’s in Sports Administration (from Concordia University).

After her playing career finished, she stayed around the game, working as a broadcaster and analyst for NBC Sports, covering hockey at the Olympics and in the NHL. She’s also coached hockey, just not at high levels (although she was an “unofficial” assistant coach for the USHL team one of her brothers coached years ago and she recently coached Team USA for the Elite Women’s 3-on-3). But she’s also been heavily involved in child/youth hockey, especially for girls, both as a coach (at camps like the Cammi Granato Hockey School) and through charitable works (like the Cammi Granato Hockey Heroes Grant).

Apparently, Granato has had plenty of offers from NHL teams over the years. But because husband Ray Ferraro was already away a lot with his media career, Granato wanted to stay closer to home, valuing stability and being there for their kids over advancing to the highest career position available (a familiar story for many women). So Cammi didn’t take several front office jobs that were available, but NHL teams were certainly interested in her. It wasn’t until the Kraken opportunity presented itself that she finally agreed to an NHL team’s job offer (with Seattle just down the I-5). But the Granato-Ferraros still call Vancouver home, so when the Canucks came calling, it was obviously a perfect fit (not to mention the step up from scout to AGM).

I can understand how people might want to see a few more entries and years on her record of NHL front office experience. But I really don’t think anyone can question her experience level in the sport itself.

I have no doubt that Cammi Granato will immediately command great respect from her peers in front offices around the NHL. And I expect she will be very successful as an AGM for the Vancouver Canucks. :) 

Cheers to this! Perfectly explained and I agree. Great hire for the whole organization . 

Edited by Spitfire_Spiky
spelling
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t either. I am assuming this is not a warm and fuzzy. I always liked the way she played the game even if it was for the USA. Women’s hockey has really progressed since she played. We don’t know her job description? The hire gets a thumbs up because she is a woman. Hires like this if a man get a quick comment or observation and then the attention goes back to the players. Likely this will be the eventual process.

Her duties as AGM will be primarily be overseeing player development, as well as scouting (along with Clancey and Allvin):

“According to the Canucks, Granato will oversee player development, as well as have a role overseeing professional and amateur scouting.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-cammi-granato-hired-as-assistant-gm/wcm/f20bb6c6-882a-4630-ab21-1b01c9df38d1/amp/

(As an aside, I’m curious what this means for Ryan Johnson (current Canucks Director of Player Development). Johnson is rumoured to be getting a promotion and greater role in the organization, but under the current structure, he’d be working under Granato (department directors tend to be subordinates to AGMs, although not always). Perhaps they’ll operate more like partners/peers in overseeing player development, or Johnson will be getting a new role and title, once everything gets worked out in hockey ops.)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IRR said:

I recently wrote a post about current NHL GMs who got their start in hockey ops at the AGM (or equivalent) position, with little to no prior experience in management.

It was not a short list.

Granato actually has a far more impressive resume than many former players whose first NHL hockey ops job was AGM.

She also has far more relevant training/education (including a Master’s in Sports Administration) than many of the high profile former players working today in NHL front offices.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can't wait for the Draft,  going to be great if Castonguay and Granato are there getting involved (no offense Clancey),  maybe handing out the jersey to the draft prospect? Cool stuff. I don't know, maybe Allvin will still want that privilege, being the new GM and leader of this management team.  

Times are changing, though, and it's great that the Canucks are the most forward thinking team. I suspect they'll set a new trend with other teams' hires. 

I also think they'll be meticulous in any trades and UFA signings. On top of the cap every year, smart contracts. They'll bring in players that will help the Canucks succeed, maybe not necessarily who the fans want, but the right players.