The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Cammi Granato as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Jim Rutherford:

"Cammi is a tremendous leader and has earned the respect of the hockey world. She has a great mind for the game and experience and influence at all levels. In her role, Cammi will oversee our player development department and our amateur and pro scouting department. Cammi's input will also be included in all areas of hockey operations as we leverage the diverse opinions and experience of our new leadership group to build a winning team. I appreciate the cooperation and the help that Ron Francis and the Seattle Kraken have provided to us during the process."

Cammi Granato:

"I am honoured to join the Vancouver Canucks and the hockey operations leadership group that Jim Rutherford and his team have assembled. It's a dream to have an opportunity like this in the city that I call home, and with an exciting young team with championship aspirations. I also want to thank Ron Francis and the entire Seattle Kraken organization. It was extremely special to help build their team and to be part of their inaugural NHL season. Ron supported me throughout my time in Seattle and continued to support me when Vancouver approached me with this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tas said:

that was actually pat verbeek.

she already lives in vancouver and was offered a promotion. seems like a no brainer. 

Ah, I thought she was based in Seattle, hence the job there.

"I’ve turned down a lot that I kind of wish I could have taken. But this one was perfect. It fit right," Granato said. "As soon as I heard Seattle was getting a team I had been interested. And (GM Ron Francis) reached out to me, I don’t know at what point but not too long ago, and asked about this position. It’s just really exciting and it fits really well with my current status, being so close and also being able to pro scout down the street."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cammi-granato-joins-seattle-franchise-becomes-nhls-first-female-pro-scout/

You're right that she was based in Vancouver. That being said, making a statement like this and then going to work for your rivals is a bit questionable. Sure, it's only a job, but it's just the fact that she bolted out of Seattle THIS quickly (maybe a good idea on her part) is why I have some reservations.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Her duties as AGM will be primarily be overseeing player development, as well as scouting (along with Clancey and Allvin):

“According to the Canucks, Granato will oversee player development, as well as have a role overseeing professional and amateur scouting.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-cammi-granato-hired-as-assistant-gm/wcm/f20bb6c6-882a-4630-ab21-1b01c9df38d1/amp/

(As an aside, I’m curious what this means for Ryan Johnson (current Canucks Director of Player Development). Johnson is rumoured to be getting a promotion and greater role in the organization, but under the current structure, he’d be working under Granato (department directors tend to be subordinates to AGMs, although not always). Perhaps they’ll operate more like partners/peers in overseeing player development, or Johnson will be getting a new role and title, once everything gets worked out in hockey ops.)

Thanks for this clarification. This actually helps a lot. It appears that like Castonguay, her role is not as broad as I usually think of an AGM role. If she's primarily in player development, then, as a former professional player, she's a great fit. She doesn't have much scouting experience, but has done it a bit, so it makes sense to also give her some responsibilities in that area.

I guess I was worried that someone with only two years as a scout would have a large say in things like drafting/signing/trades, but if she's more specifically used to her strengths, then that is probably a better use of her skills.

30 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

"I’ve turned down a lot that I kind of wish I could have taken. But this one was perfect. It fit right," Granato said. "As soon as I heard Seattle was getting a team I had been interested. And (GM Ron Francis) reached out to me, I don’t know at what point but not too long ago, and asked about this position. It’s just really exciting and it fits really well with my current status, being so close and also being able to pro scout down the street."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cammi-granato-joins-seattle-franchise-becomes-nhls-first-female-pro-scout/

You're right that she was based in Vancouver. That being said, making a statement like this and then going to work for your rivals is a bit questionable. Sure, it's only a job, but it's just the fact that she bolted out of Seattle THIS quickly (maybe a good idea on her part) is why I have some reservations.

If she was under contract with Seattle wouldn't Francis have to have given permission for Rutherford to talk to her?

Again to no surprise the NHL and hockey media are completely tone deaf to the significance of this hiring.

Two female executives working for one team is historical and should be celebrated and recognized. Yet you have to go way down any of their sites to even get a mention of it. We saw more articles and headlines on the Oilers signing Kane.

This is where the NHL is just talking the talk. They can say they want hockey to be for everyone and all that but they fail to even recognize significant achievements like this.

Its clear to everyone that they only ever care when they get called out. All their messages about inclusion are as empty as their actions.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

is 2 and a half years really bolting all that quick? that article from her hiring was september 2019. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

is 2 and a half years really bolting all that quick? that article from her hiring was september 2019. 

And it's a huge upgrade in position to work at your home city.  It's not the same job.  Only an idiot would refuse that opportunity.  JR called to get her. It's not like she is sending her CV around looking for a new job. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Hahaha, fair enough. Truths tend to come from those of the name Kyle 

I dunno about “truth”.

If this was a former NHLer with the accolades that she has you wouldn’t think twice about it.

I have no problem hiring inexperienced assistant GMs male or female as long as they’re insulated with experienced people.

We should be looking to develop execs the same we we develop players. If they have the skill and the work ethic the rest can be taught. Rutherford has been around the block enough times for everyone.

I think you’re under the assumption that experience guarantees success. How well did that work with Benning, Chiarelli, Holland, or some of those other old boys club retreads? And then on the other side you have ex players like Sakic and Yzerman doing awesome despite their lack of experience.

That’s exactly what the Canucks need to do. Try and catch the next rising star GM rather than chasing other teams past success. That comes with recognizing talent and achievements and giving those people the tools to develop in that role. Why not tap the most untapped talent pool there is? Is there something that says women can’t do these roles just as well?

Granato has literally lived and breathed hockey her whole life. Who’s to say she won’t be a great GM? Should we always just be looking to steal other teams execs rather than developing our own? I don’t think that’s how you build culture. Rutherford knows that.

I’m excited to see what she can do. She might stumble along the way but like I said look at how much some experienced GMs are stinking right now. Give her a chance! Make room for Cammi!

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno about “truth”.

If this was a former NHLer with the accolades that she has you wouldn’t think twice about it.

I have no problem hiring inexperienced assistant GMs male or female as long as they’re insulated with experienced people.

We should be looking to develop execs the same we we develop players. If they have the skill and the work ethic the rest can be taught. Rutherford has been around the block enough times for everyone.

I think you’re under the assumption that experience guarantees success. How well did that work with Benning, Chiarelli, Holland, or some of those other old boys club retreads? And then on the other side you have ex players like Sakic and Yzerman doing awesome despite their lack of experience.

That’s exactly what the Canucks need to do. Try and catch the next rising star GM rather than chasing other teams past success. That comes with recognizing talent and achievements and giving those people the tools to develop in that role. Why not tap the most untapped talent pool there is? Is there something that says women can’t do these roles just as well?

Granato has literally lived and breathed hockey her whole life. Who’s to say she won’t be a great GM? Should we always just be looking to steal other teams execs rather than developing our own? I don’t think that’s how you build culture. Rutherford knows that.

I’m excited to see what she can do. She might stumble along the way but like I said look at how much some experienced GMs are stinking right now. Give her a chance! Make room for Cammi!

I have no problem with women working in hockey, I have a problem with the fact that we have a history of hiring people for GM, assistant GM, head coach, assistant coach who have very little to no experience at the nhl level in the roles. And look how that has gone for us, mediocrity and a constant rebuild as they learn on the fly…. You may want to

make this about what sex she is, but it’s about lack of experience in our organization again. Rutherford is not young and has to be retiring in the next couple of years, so then all we have are newly minted people in positions with no leader. 

• Cheers 1