The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Team has to do better in the 1st... taking 20 minutes off at the start two games in a row is not going to make the playoffs.

Calgary won again, Markstrom is on fire and gunning for a Vezina.  Chances to catch the Flames are diminishing rapidly.

The good news is that after that abysmal first period, the Canucks did start to fight back... and Pettersson continued his improved play.

He could have had three more assists if the three guys he set up in front of the net had buried their chances.

Really liking the Pettersson/Podz combo... Hoglander is also trying hard but he is snakebit as far as scoring is concerned... missed one of Pettersson's gift passes.

Podz is much more physical than his listed weight would suggest.  He is listed at 190... is that his actual weight?  Either way, he is likely to put on more muscle for next year... he is only 20 and lots of room to grow.  I suspect he'll end up at least 200 lbs, maybe 210.  If he hits that weight then he'll be a force... cause he has the speed too.  ;)

Ekman-Larsen was not good defensively this game... yeah he did get a goal, but his timing looks off... have to wonder if he is nursing a nagging injury.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Between Halak, Holtby, and Virtanen we'll have just under 4M in dead cap next season unless Halak is moved

I bet Alvin is not happy with that!  Especially with Ha-Lack which should have never been allowed to get his hands on that Bonus $. 

What were they thinking let him play any further this year?  It;s been obvious to the blind since after his first game that he can no longer play in the NHL

2 wins in 10 games isn't even acceptable in the AHL!  That is ECHL level stats.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip Reviews - Metacritic

• Haha 1

Myers is looking tired with all the extra time he is playing with Hughes missing.

Big guys like him can get worn down with high minutes... not everyone's Chara.

Not that he's playing badly, he is still the best of the bunch... but Hughes is desperately needed back... so many times he skates the puck out of problem areas where the rest of the D-Corps might give it away.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta think that if this team puts value on size and speed going forward the odd man out might be Boeser.

Tough to justify giving top dollar to a sniper that is rarely able to get in position to snipe, and misses the net when he does.

He looks very slow and lost out there on most plays. Hate to say it because I’ve rooted for him since he was drafted, but he would probably net a great return and is more easily replaced.

he'll probably take a 6x6. He is having a down year but make no mistake, every other season he's been really good. I'm more worried about his ability to stay healthy

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That has to be every teams game plan coming in against us. It’s so obvious now.

They never have their legs to start. They run around and let Demko stand on his head.

They NEED to start making home ice an advantage. Right now it seems like the other team has all the jump to start in our building. 

Both games we did have great responses in the 2nd period. Which is a good quality to have, but we have to improve the start of games for sure.

After this month things won't get easy with the schedule. We will need to be in tip top shape going into that.

Watched it at the Rogers.

Our AHL defence got exposed in the first. Forwards weren't helping much this game.

But Pettersson was on fire today. He and his linemates were constantly talking on the bench. I think Podz is a good playmaking winger that supports Petey very well. Hoglander needs to improve his decision making or at least make it faster. He has to get pucks off hist stick quicker instead of waiting until you have no option but to pass.

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

After Halak embarrassed us cause he sucks I liked our fight. We didnt roll over and die and thats all ask. 

And you know what the funny part is ...  with that performance Canucks now have to pay $1.25 Million on bonuses and will hit the Canucks salary cap.

Can't blame Halak, as I said in the GDT ... if I knew I was getting $1.25 Million that day I'd be pretty distracted too :P

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Myers is looking tired with all the extra time he is playing with Hughes missing.

Big guys like him can get worn down with high minutes... not everyone's Chara.

Not that he's playing badly, he is still the best of the bunch... but Hughes is desperately needed back... so many times he skates the puck out of problem areas where the rest of the D-Corps might give it away.

Yeah I agree. Except for that 6-3 goal, he was not too bad. Ideally, we need someone to play above him or at the same level. 

This is where losing Tanev sucks. And I also miss Edler on our PK.

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler-Poolman/Scehnn

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Really thought we were gonna see a game like that Canucks/Avs 7-6 barnburner from a few years ago for a bit there!

Had guys like Horvat, Pearson, and Boeser not been passengers we might have pulled it off.

Pearson has been driving me nuts. His shooting percentage is 2nd worst of all the forwards on the whole team (just behind Dickinson). He's tough along the boards but every shot that guy takes is literally out offence dying. He's got hands of stone- the only reason his numbers looked okay in 2020 was he had 6 empty net goals. 

Put literally anyone else into our top 6 (except Dickinson) for the love of god. 

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah I agree. Except for that 6-3 goal, he was not too bad. Ideally, we need someone to play above him or at the same level. 

This is where losing Tanev sucks. And I also miss Edler on our PK.

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler-Poolman/Scehnn

Tanev was the 1 guy we should never have let walk. Theres nobody else anywhere near as good as a shutdown guy that we can get. 

• Upvote 1

need to start Demko more, even back to backs. All the covid break, all star break, etc. has made him pretty rested so he can play the rest of the 30 games easy. maybe give 1 or 2 games to Martin and trade Halak at deadline. Canucks need points if they want playoffs and this game was a must win. Now they have to face a hot Toronto team.

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Tanev was the 1 guy we should never have let walk. Theres nobody else anywhere near as good as a shutdown guy that we can get. 

Tanev and Markstrom should have been traded for picks if they couldn't be signed.

These were two of Bennings biggest screw-ups.

Personally I think Tanev trumps Poolman anyday... no question Poolman is cheaper, but better to keep Tanev and pass on some other signings.