The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tanev and Markstrom should have been traded for picks if they couldn't be signed.

These were two of Bennings biggest screw-ups.

Personally I think Tanev trumps Poolman anyday... no question Poolman is cheaper, but better to keep Tanev and pass on some other signings.

Canucks were on a run for the playoffs so I don't mind not trading them but yes losing Tanev and Markstrom both was just terrible. I didn't expect both would resign but losing both Tanev and Toffoli in one offseason just hurt 

• Cheers 1

The team played amazing in the 2nd and 3rd.

Halak &^@#ed us in a game where we needed the 2 points. Don’t get it wrong the team was bad in the 1st but 3 goals in 30 seconds. Come on.

Pettersson if you play every game like hat mother&^@#er you scoring 40 goals easy. 50 in your prime.

OEL is nice offensively, he needs to shoot more. Run OEL and Hughes on the PP

Get Myers out of here. I don’t care what anyone says. Get Myers out of here. Dude never uses his size and when he does it’s suspension or penalty. The bad outshines the good. He has like at least one turnover a game that leads to a grade A opportunity for the other team. He had a stretch where he had 5-10 good games but that was about it. No goals for a guy that’s getting paid that type of money is not it.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I bet Alvin is not happy with that!  Especially with Ha-Lack which should have never been allowed to get his hands on that Bonus $. 

What were they thinking let him play any further this year?  It;s been obvious to the blind since after his first game that he can no longer play in the NHL

2 wins in 10 games isn't even acceptable in the AHL!  That is ECHL level stats.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip Reviews - Metacritic

Probably not, but that's the hand he was dealt

After how he played in Boston that was fair value for Halak, in fact his taking the bonus probably helped us fit him in capwise

He hasn't been nearly as bad as you're making him out to have been

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

I hate Parise because his dad was Canadian yet he ditch Canada to be a proud American. &^@# this guy ever since I found out about this fact.

Just checked the Wikipedia...

He's born in the U.S.  

He's raised in the U.S.

He got his education in the U.S.

He learned his hockey in the U.S.

And I am not sure, but maybe his mom is from the U.S too.

I believe he has a lot more reasons to represent the U.S.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tanev and Markstrom should have been traded for picks if they couldn't be signed.

These were two of Bennings biggest screw-ups.

Personally I think Tanev trumps Poolman anyday... no question Poolman is cheaper, but better to keep Tanev and pass on some other signings.

Oh yeah absolutely. Tanev is the closest thing we'll ever get to having Willie Mitchell again. 

Poolman is dead weight playing on an expensive contract for a fringe NHL defenseman. 

11 minutes ago, J-23 said:

The team played amazing in the 2nd and 3rd.

Halak &^@#ed us in a game where we needed the 2 points. Don’t get it wrong the team was bad in the 1st but 3 goals in 30 seconds. Come on.

Pettersson if you play every game like hat mother&^@#er you scoring 40 goals easy. 50 in your prime.

OEL is nice offensively, he needs to shoot more. Run OEL and Hughes on the PP

Get Myers out of here. I don’t care what anyone says. Get Myers out of here. Dude never uses his size and when he does it’s suspension or penalty. The bad outshines the good. He has like at least one turnover a game that leads to a grade A opportunity for the other team. He had a stretch where he had 5-10 good games but that was about it. No goals for a guy that’s getting paid that type of money is not it.

I’m not sticking up for Halak, he was bad, but so were all the Canucks in that period. The fact that the Isles scored 3 in 30 tells you how crappy the team was in front of him.  How do you let the other team just roll into the zone so easily like that, wave after wave? He just finished making a great save on a 2 on 0 breakaway right before the floodgates opened. Was Halak bad? Yep but he sure got hung out by a bunch of guys who were every bit as bad as he was. Hard for me to point a finger just at him.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not sticking up for Halak, he was bad, but so were all the Canucks in that period. The fact that the Isles scored 3 in 30 tells you how crappy the team was in front of him.  How do you let the other team just roll into the zone so easily like that, wave after wave? He just finished making a great save on a 2 on 0 breakaway right before the floodgates opened. Was Halak bad? Yep but he sure got hung out by a bunch of guys who were every bit as bad as he was. Hard for me to point a finger just at him.

Like I said in my post, the team was bad in the 1st. However 3 goals in 30 seconds for any NHL goalie is unacceptable. It’s not like those early goals were 2 on 0 breakaways.

Having an AHL defence with Schenn being our best defencemen will result in those odd man rushes.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Love how this city love to trash halak for a performance bonus that was really meant to circumvent the cap this year.. the performance bonus was pretty much a guaranteed before the start of the season and only signed as a performance bonus to defer it to next season.. he wasn't good tonight might have made a difference if he stops 1 or 2 of those goals who knows.. but the team was pretty trash even after the timeout. We are blaming halak for not winning games this year.. the team scored 8 goals in 6 lost prior to this game. Was he suppose to get a shutout in all the other lost to give the team a chance?

Exactly. Dude gets $&!# on while doing everything he can to keep us in it most nights. He's been solid this season, but has gotten little run support. 

Putting this game on his shoulders is dumb.

He could have maybe gotten the first goal.

Myers screened him on the second, he had to make a split second decision and NHL'ers are gonna buy those chances. Third was a deflection, those are tough for any goaltender. Fourth was Juulsen not having his man, that pass should never have gotten through. Fifth was a star caliber player making a nice move, those goals happen. Barzal may have beaten Demko there too.

Team was abysmal in front of him, giving up a 2v0 before a single goal was scored, and making several other gaffes that period.

If folks are going to point fingers at Halak, which I don't think he deserves, they should also point fingers at the squad in front of him. They were steaming garbage in the first.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Exactly. Dude gets $&!# on while doing everything he can to keep us in it most nights. He's been solid this season, but has gotten little rum support. 

Putting this game on his shoulders is dumb.

He could have maybe gotten the first goal.

Myers screened him on the second, he had to make a split second decision and NHL'ers are gonna buy those chances. Third was a deflection, those are tough for any goaltender. Fourth was Juulsen not having his man, that pass should never have gotten through. Fifth was a star caliber player making a nice move, those goals happen. Barzal may have beaten Demko there too.

Team was abysmal in front of him, giving up a 2v0 before a single goal was scored, and making several other gaffes that period.

If folks are going to point fingers at Halak, which I don't think he deserves, point they should also point fingers at the squad in front of him. They were steaming garbage in the first.

What’s wrong with saying it how it is?

Halak was just bad and it costed us the game. He’s an veteran goalie, he’ll bounce back but today he was bad and it hurt us. Our defence was just as bad and it costed us the game.

Look at Pettersson recently he’s been great. Earlier in the season though he was brutal and it costed us games. We needed our top player to play like he’s played these last 5 games.

Sometimes a player is just not there and it costs  the team. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Halak was just bad and it costed us the game. He’s an veteran goalie, he’ll bounce back but today he was bad and it hurt us. Our defence was just as bad and it costed us the game.

Look at Pettersson recently he’s been great. Earlier in the season though he was brutal and it costed us games. We needed our top player to play like he’s played these last 5 games.

No he wasn’t he had little chance on 4 out of 5 goals. Team shat the bed period. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, J-23 said:

I did say it how it was, I even broke down each goal. I've no issue calling a spade a spade, but I'll also go to bat for a player when I think he's being undeservedly dumped on.

They are a team, and the group in front of Halak didn't support him well enough. Demko would have likely been lit up for a few goals in the first too, they were that bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably not, but that's the hand he was dealt

After how he played in Boston that was fair value for Halak, in fact his taking the bonus probably helped us fit him in capwise

He hasn't been nearly as bad as you're making him out to have been

I don’t mind the criticism but can’t get behind singling him out after what we saw all over the ice in that first period. That was just embarrassing all the way around.

He came into the game with a .918 save % and a goals against of 2.40 and as for some saying he shouldn’t have been playing because of his bonus…

Very few coaches would not play a guy to keep him from reaching a bonus and if he did he would have a pretty poor rep around the league. Players remember that kind of bs when they sign contracts.

DD10F6F1-6470-4DF4-A088-87284D6A4D4D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2