The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller at 50% retained and Motte to the Rangers (proposal)

Pretty simple proposal, really. Totally futures!

Miller at 50% + Motte

for

Othmann, Lundkvist, 2022 -1st and Barron

So, this sets us up in several ways.

#1. We get a scoring LWer in Othmann that would certainly a great add in him self

#2. We get a scoring RHD in Lundqvist, that has shown he can play in the NHL

#3. We get Barron who is a big body and will fit in nicely as a 3rd line Center

#4. We get a 2022-1st that should be in the 22 to 26 OA spot, and can be added to our 1st to move up and get Jiricek, if JR sees fit

Othmann has played very well in his D+1 season, and can score goals.....31 goals in 39 games this year. He was drafted 16th OA in 2021. (In my opinion he is near blue chip) 

Lundkvist is not Schneider, but should be able to play 2nd pairing with OEL, and we will have to go shopping for that big defensive Dman, that can play with Hughes........there are alternatives to Schneider, that will probably be cheaper.  Baron in Colorado, Helleson in Colorado, Grans in LA, I am sure there are more!

Barron looks to have 3rd line center capabilities, and a big body. 23 years old 6'4" 220 lbs. he is a B+ prospect. Certainly Motte has similar value.

The 2021 1st is a very important part of this trade, as it should give us the ability to trade up with our own 1st (which should land in the 8 to 10 OA spot), so, How I see it is having a trade in place for the 4 to 6 spot, which, we could trade our 2 picks for if Jiricek is still available.

Yes, it is a a futures trade, but it does fill in some important holes, and gives us alot of flexibility, and reduces our cap to a point, that we will be able to sign all our remaining players. 

Note* there is always the possibility that the NY Rangers 1st could be used to trade for one of the other big prospects I mentioned earlier. Like I said it gives us flexibility. 

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Literally any and all trades with the Rangers has been discussed ad nauseum.

Colorado is an interesting one as well.

Both have what we need and what we want.

Miller + even with retention is more than enough to facilitate that.

I'd even look at LA right now as a viable suitor with their prospect pool.

I do agree the Schneider angle has been beaten to death, which is why I went a different direction. It is also why I went with a total "futures" proposal, in which creates different avenues for JR and discussion.

That is my hope.......I hope it is different enough? 

Just now, Drakrami said:

lol.. this is more than what Eichel got. Each team have their untouchables, and Othmann is probably one of them, he looks like he could become a star. 

So, you are saying that Eichel, who could not play hockey before his surgery and still has not, will have no recurring back issues, and will play at 100% of his past skill level, for the remaining time in Vegas..........and there was absolutely no guarding of assets by Vegas, meaning they had absolutely no doubts that Eichel will be all world again, and that Vegas did not low ball their offer to some extent, because of these issues and Eichel wanting out of Buffalo ............

Sure!

Right!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I think it would be absolutely friggin horrid for us to have JT in the same division:frantic:

But, I've stated this elsewhere...Brock would be a great fit for LA.  Brown is their top RW and will be a UFA at the end of the season. 

LA gets Brock + cap dump $2.75

Van gets Vilardi (C-R) + Helge Grans (RD) + Athanaisiu (camp dump)

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So, you are saying that Eichel, who could not play hockey before his surgery and still has not, will have no recurring back issues, and will play at 100% of his past skill level, for the remaining time in Vegas..........and there was absolutely no guarding of assets by Vegas, meaning they had absolutely no doubts that Eichel will be all world again, and that Vegas did not low ball their offer to some extent, because of these issues and Eichel wanting out of Buffalo ............

Sure!

Right!

lol what a sarcastic tone! But dont see where the sarcasm exist. 

Eichel is worth way more than Miller that's a fact (unless you are a Canucks fan on CDC apparently) 

Why are you ranting like Eichel is a risk when he's about to play in a few weeks and you may start to sound like a big idiot then. Now that's the risk. 

Edited by Drakrami

39 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Pretty simple proposal, really. Totally futures!

Miller at 50% + Motte

for

Othmann, Lundkvist, 2022 -1st and Barron

So, this sets us up in several ways.

#1. We get a scoring LWer in Othmann that would certainly a great add in him self

#2. We get a scoring RHD in Lundqvist, that has shown he can play in the NHL

#3. We get Barron who is a big body and will fit in nicely as a 3rd line Center

#4. We get a 2022-1st that should be in the 22 to 26 OA spot, and can be added to our 1st to move up and get Jiricek, if JR sees fit

Othmann has played very well in his D+1 season, and can score goals.....31 goals in 39 games this year. He was drafted 16th OA in 2021. (In my opinion he is near blue chip) 

Lundkvist is not Schneider, but should be able to play 2nd pairing with OEL, and we will have to go shopping for that big defensive Dman, that can play with Hughes........there are alternatives to Schneider, that will probably be cheaper.  Baron in Colorado, Helleson in Colorado, Grans in LA, I am sure there are more!

Barron looks to have 3rd line center capabilities, and a big body. 23 years old 6'4" 220 lbs. he is a B+ prospect. Certainly Motte has similar value.

The 2021 1st is a very important part of this trade, as it should give us the ability to trade up with our own 1st (which should land in the 8 to 10 OA spot), so, How I see it is having a trade in place for the 4 to 6 spot, which, we could trade our 2 picks for if Jiricek is still available.

Yes, it is a a futures trade, but it does fill in some important holes, and gives us alot of flexibility, and reduces our cap to a point, that we will be able to sign all our remaining players. 

Note* there is always the possibility that the NY Rangers 1st could be used to trade for one of the other big prospects I mentioned earlier. Like I said it gives us flexibility. 

Well if we trade Miller we are in the drivers seat? Miller is signed for another year at 5.3 million..We are not trading Demko, Hughes, Pettersson, Horvat.

Miller is the best trading chip and we hold out for best deal..I would not be trading with NYR if Schneider is not the #1 player coming back..

If your retaining 50% of salary then Rangers have to sweeten deal more.. Canucks will not want to retain salary then want to open up salary..

NYR-- Miller 28, 6'1, 215 -C/W power forward 25 G - PTS 60-68----- Motte 26-W   -Not retaining salary..

Vancouver -- Schneider 20 -6'2, 205 RD  -  Chytil 23, 6'3 C -- Barron 23-6'4 -LW--- Late 2nd rounder

We don't want another smaller D man in Lundkvist 5'11...Already have Hughes 5'10 --- Rathbone 5'11

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

If we trade will Colorado then Newhook 21, 5'11, C is #1 player coming back

17 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Eichel is worth way more than Miller that's a fact (unless you are a Canucks fan on CDC apparently) 

Why are you ranting like Eichel is a risk when he's about to play in a few weeks and you may start to sound like a big idiot then. Now that's the risk. 

That may be true in time, but at the time of the trade No! There are four huge factors that make the Eichel trade at the time equal or less to what Miller would get now:

1) The injury. 

2) He wanted out of Buffalo.

3) Vegas's cap situation.

4) Miller being traded at the trade deadline to a Cup contender willing to overpay.

There is also the fact Buffalo was not trading from a position of strength, they were actual in the weakest possible situation for asking a high price for Eichel. 

A healthy Eichel with no other factors would have gotten 3 Millers +. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I mean at least it isn't Schnider + 1st + Kulak/Chytil. 

We need a C a legit C who can win a draw and play with the big boi's we need um........ Miller........  If we trade Miller Bo is gonna have to take every single faceoff every game. 

So ya Othman is a good piece theres lots of good pieces here but now what....... somehow we gotta ship a bunch of wingers for a C and we already traded the only piece we got that anyone would want enough to trade you a legit RHD or a young C with 2b upside for. And we ended up with another skilled smurf defenceman skilled winger we don't need and Barron is a good 4th liner but I don't really see 3c upside there. I'd send Rathbone for him if Fox gave the Rangers the thumbs up on Rath. He's a depth guy we could use.  

We just got so much softer per 60 and didn't really fill any holes just made deeper ones. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Come on Drak! 

The point was, when Eichel was traded there was plenty of risk that he may never play again. And there is plenty more risk that his first hit, may be his last.

So, let me spell it out...............that is why the assets that were traded for him were less than if he was health and it was just a hockey trade.......

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Apples and oranges. At the time, and arguably even still, Vegas was taking on a fair amount of risk given Eichel's health complications. There's still no guarantee he'll lace em up and be the player he was prior to his injury. Eichel also comes with a much larger cap hit and with significant term. Worst case scenario whoever was interested in trading for him at the time gets a large cap anchor, or a player who can't play hockey and who ends up on LTIR. All this risk undoubtedly impacted the price. 10M for four more seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

Miller, given his health and his track record over the last couple seasons could actually be more valuable to a contender. He's a known quantity at a great cap hit, and he's a low commitment asset a team could get two playoff runs out of. He's an even more valuable player if the Canucks retain. I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him get more than Eichel for these reasons. 

A healthy Eichel with no injury issues is undoubtedly more valuable, but he's been a question mark for a while now. What he ends up being in Vegas remains to be seen. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

As for the trade itself, there's no Schneider but it's nothing to write off. I'd do it. We've dealt with Luongo's recapture for years now, what's one more year with dead cap on the books. We're already going to have some from Holtby, Virtanen, and possibly Halak anyway. Eating 1.25 seasons of Miller would fly by. 

As for Motte, I'm fine with him staying or going. He's great when he's healthy, but he's struggled to stay healthy the last couple seasons prior to this one. It also depends on what he's looking for in terms of a raise, because he'll get one. 

I can't help but wonder if we couldn't squeeze out a bit more from NY though, given we're retaining on Miller and moving Motte. But that's nitpicking. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Counter proposal LA goes all in! 

At the deadline.

To LA Brock 50% + Nils + Halak

To Van  Brandt Clark + Lemieux + Helenius (I think Helenius can develop on the 4th he's 6'6 and skates as well as I have ever seen anyone that size skate he's well trusted defensively and loves to lay the bod you may remember his father Sami Helenius I think he would do just fine. Really wanted all the fin's that year Heimosalmi, Helenius, Koivinen, Salminen, Tuomaala). Happy with Danila though.

Sign Fiala he did really well under Bruce and Minni doesn't have the money for him.

Fiala Miller Garland

Pete Bo Pearson 

A bottom 6 the way it's supposed to look hard as nails. 

Lemieux Lammi Dickinson hard match line

Motte Helenius Podkolzin (all situations development line)

Lockwood/Klimovich

The D mix em how you like but Clark is gonna add that much needed dimension. Currently leading the OHL in D scoring as an 18 year old. Maybe let him cook another year.  

Hughes Myers

OEL Clark

Burroughs Poolman

Rathbone Shenn

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. this is more than what Eichel got. Each team have their untouchables, and Othmann is probably one of them, he looks like he could become a star. 

Eichel also had surgery and a 10mil price tag. Miller would be dirt cheap with 50% retention and is healthy. Not quite the 1 to 1 comparison you're making it to be. But I also think it is a tad overpayment for Miller.