The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] The re-tooling: Volume I

shiznak

Chapter 1: Deadline deals.

To Anaheim:

OEL - The remainder of his 50% salary (38% = 2.7M)

Dickenson

To Vancouver:

Derek Grant

Sam Steel

2nd round pick

Why does Anaheim make this trade: The Ducks have been one of the biggest surprises this year. They have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, and is the only team that could possibly take on OEL’s contract without us giving them an incentive. Adding OEL at 50% of his salary (4.4M), would solidify their backend. Plus it’s an insurance if Lindholm decides to walk into free agency this summer. The only question is would, OEL waive his NMC again?  My guess he would for the sunny weather and a chance at the playoffs. Dickenson hasn’t worked out for us, but maybe a change of scenery will do him well. We’ve seen what he’s capable of and would be a nice younger replacement for Grant. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: JR and co. have said they want to shed salary. Our defensive core is the highest paid defensive core in the entire league, and the worst when it comes to creating offense. While OEL has been fine defensively; his offensive game has been non-existent. We seen some glimpse here and there, but it’s not enough to justify his salary. We roughly save around 4M if we make this deal.

To Colorado: 

Tyler Motte

2nd round pick

To Vancouver:

Tyson Jost

Why does Colorado make this trade: Colorado need to get grittier come playoff time and it looks like Jost has fallen into Bednar doghouse. I don’t see Colorado giving Jost a qualifying offer (2.2M) to retain his rights. So rather than losing him for nothing, they could potentially re-sign Motte at a cheaper cost and save money to re-up MacKinnon. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: We get a versatile forward who can move up and down the lineup. Still has the potential to be a decent top 6 forward.

To Arizona: 

Hoglander/Podkolzin

Tyson Jost
Tucker Poolman
Dipietro

1st round pick

To Vancouver:

Jakob Chychrun

2nd round pick

Why does Arizona make this trade: Not sure? Apparently Arizona don’t like #1 defensemen with a more than reasonable salary signed, long term. But the package Arizona get is; 2 young roster players, a potential number #1 goalie, and a pick in the 10-15 range. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: Well, I think most, if not all, will have a heart attack trading those pieces away, but this is my re-tool, not yours and this is what it’s going to take to pry Chychrun out of Arizona, possibly even more. Chychrun fits our core. He’s signed for 3 more years at a great caphit. Him and Hughes will be the backbone of our defensive core for years.

Chapter 2: Draft Trades:

To New York:

J.T Miller

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkqvist

1st round pick

3rd round pick

Why does New York make this trade: Assuming they don’t win the Cup. Rangers will be looking for a player to replace Strome when he walks into free agency. Miller as a rental for a full year could push them over the top as the team to beat in the East.

Why does Vancouver make this trade: First off, I don’t believe they will make Schneider available, which would upset many of you. I see him as a guy who will eventually replace Trouba. So, the next best thing they have on the right-side is Nils Lundkqvist. He’s a small guy, but the guy loves to compete much like our very own Hughes. Many feel this isn’t enough in a return for a player like Miller’s calibre, but the thing is, would you rather lose Miller for nothing or trade him for whatever you can get? While it isn’t a foregone conclusion that he’s going to leave after his current contract. I’d rather not pay him 8m+ on his next deal that will take him into his mid/late 30s. We also recover a 1st in this deal that we loss in the Chychrun deal.

Chapter 3: Re-signing/Free Agency/2023 rosters.

Now that we have some cap flexibility to whatever we choose to do in free agency. 

Qualifying offers to Steel and Juulsen

Re-sign Chytil: 2yrs/6M (3m)

Re-sign Boeser: 6yrs/36M (6m)

Re-sign Lammikko 3yrs/3.6m (1.2m)

Re-sign Martin 1yr/1.3m
Sign Max Domi: 5yrs/28M (5.6m)

Sign Ian Cole: 1yr/1.2M

Sign Johan Larsson 3yrs/5.4M (1.8m)

Hoglander/Podkolzin - Pettersson (7.3) - Boeser (6)

Domi (5.6) - Horvat (5.5) - Garland (4.9)

Pearson (3.2) - Chytil (3) - Steel 

Larsson (1.8) - Lammikko (1.2) - Grant (1.5)

Lockwood

Hughes (7.8) - Myers (6)

Chychrun (4.6) - Hamonic (3)

Cole (1.2) - Juulsen

Lundkvist

Demko (5)

Martin (1.3)

Deadcap:

Holtby - 1.9

OEL - 2.7
Virtanen - .5

Total caphit  = 73.8m give or take.

Final Chapter: Final take.

The forward group might be a bit small in stature, but they are hard to play against and they have a ton of speed. Something that is lacking in our current group of forwards. Domi, Grant, and Larsson are all workhorses for their current club, who aren’t afraid to get dirty. Steel is a pesky little fella, who scout say has great hockey IQ and speed. Watching him he reminds me of Cooke, minus the dirty stuff. All in all, I think this group can compete for a playoff spot, especially with BB behind the helm. It will sucks that we lose a prospect like Hoglander/Podkolzon and a top 15 pick, but the defensive group is a lot more mobile with the addition of Chychrun and Lundkvist. Something that JR harped on. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

If we are trading Miller to the Rangers Schneider coming back should be a must or no deal imho as for retaiing almost 3Mill on OEL no thanks not feeling like almost 5Mill on Dead cap is the way to go, Domi also isn't a 5.6Mill Player either had his outbreak the first season in MTL but has never been able to return anywhere close to that form, Chychrun would be lovely but if we are giving a Prospect up like Hoglander/Podz up I'd prefer a RHD coming back the other i way rather do the next 2 years of 1st instead   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

If we are trading Miller to the Rangers Schneider coming back should be a must or no deal imho as for retaiing almost 3Mill on OEL no thanks not feeling like almost 5Mill on Dead cap is the way to go, Domi also isn't a 5.6Mill Player either had his outbreak the first season in MTL but has never been able to return anywhere close to that form, Chychrun would be lovely but if we are giving a Prospect up like Hoglander/Podz up I'd prefer a RHD coming back the other i way rather do the next 2 years of 1st instead   

Holtby’s and Virtanen deadcap will be gone after this year. So it’ll only be 2.7M for 4 more seasons. That’s equivalent to a 3rd line forward/bottom 2 defensemen on the open market. 

Domi is on pace for 45-50 points this year, which is the norm for a 5M dollar player. I mean look at Horvat, he’s on pace for the same amount of points and people say he’s due for a raise.

Just now, shiznak said:

Holtby’s and Virtanen deadcap will be gone after this year. So it’ll only be 2.7M for 4 more seasons. That’s equivalent to a 3rd line forward/bottom 2 defensemen on the open market. 

Domi is on pace for 45-50 points this year, which is the norm for a 5M dollar player. I mean look at Horvat, he’s on pace for the same amount of points and people say he’s due for a raise.

Still having having 2.7Mill in dead cap is a hard sell, it's a pointless conversation anyway as OEL wouldn't waive his NMC. Domi will probably hit 45 points so just above 0.5PPG which for 5.6 is on the very high end and should bring a lot more for that price. Domi can bring a little physicality but not much more, It's defiantly not standard to pay a player like him that contract as person who adores Domi i don't think he is the answer for the team especially at that price, as in terms of Horvat he brings a lot more than Domi but Horvat himself is having a down year

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

To Anaheim:

Dickenson

To Vancouver:

Derek Grant

Sam Steel

2nd round pick

Why does Anaheim make this trade: The Ducks have been one of the biggest surprises this year. They have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, and is the only team that could possibly take on OEL’s contract without us giving them an incentive. Adding OEL at 50% of his salary (4.4M), would solidify their backend. Plus it’s an insurance if Lindholm decides to walk into free agency this summer. The only question is would, OEL waive his NMC again?  My guess he would for the sunny weather and a chance at the playoffs. Dickenson hasn’t worked out for us, but maybe a change of scenery will do him well. We’ve seen what he’s capable of and would be a nice younger replacement for Grant. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: JR and co. have said they want to shed salary. Our defensive core is the highest paid defensive core in the entire league, and the worst when it comes to creating offense. While OEL has been fine defensively; his offensive game has been non-existent. We seen some glimpse here and there, but it’s not enough to justify his salary. We roughly save around 4M if we make this deal.

To Colorado: 

Tyler Motte

2nd round pick

To Vancouver:

Tyson Jost

Why does Colorado make this trade: Colorado need to get grittier come playoff time and it looks like Jost has fallen into Bednar doghouse. I don’t see Colorado giving Jost a qualifying offer (2.2M) to retain his rights. So rather than losing him for nothing, they could potentially re-sign Motte at a cheaper cost and save money to re-up MacKinnon. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: We get a versatile forward who can move up and down the lineup. Still has the potential to be a decent top 6 forward.

To Arizona: 

Hoglander/Podkolzin

Tyson Jost
Tucker Poolman
Dipietro

1st round pick

To Vancouver:

Jakob Chychrun

2nd round pick

Why does Arizona make this trade: Not sure? Apparently Arizona don’t like #1 defensemen with a more than reasonable salary signed, long term. But the package Arizona get is; 2 young roster players, a potential number #1 goalie, and a pick in the 10-15 range. 

Why does Vancouver make this trade: Well, I think most, if not all, will have a heart attack trading those pieces away, but this is my re-tool, not yours and this is what it’s going to take to pry Chychrun out of Arizona, possibly even more. Chychrun fits our core. He’s signed for 3 more years at a great caphit. Him and Hughes will be the backbone of our defensive core for years.

To New York:

J.T Miller

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkqvist

1st round pick

3rd round pick

Why does New York make this trade: Assuming they don’t win the Cup. Rangers will be looking for a player to replace Strome when he walks into free agency. Miller as a rental for a full year could push them over the top as the team to beat in the East.

Why does Vancouver make this trade: First off, I don’t believe they will make Schneider available, which would upset many of you. I see him as a guy who will eventually replace Trouba. So, the next best thing they have on the right-side is Nils Lundkqvist. He’s a small guy, but the guy loves to compete much like our very own Hughes. Many feel this isn’t enough in a return for a player like Miller’s calibre, but the thing is, would you rather lose Miller for nothing or trade him for whatever you can get? While it isn’t a foregone conclusion that he’s going to leave after his current contract. I’d rather not pay him 8m+ on his next deal that will take him into his mid/late 30s. We also recover a 1st in this deal that we loss in the Chychrun deal.

Now that we have some cap flexibility to whatever we choose to do in free agency. 

Re-sign Martin 1yr/1.3m

Lockwood

Hughes (7.8) - Myers (6)

Cole (1.2) - Juulsen

Lundkvist

Demko (5)

Martin (1.3)

Deadcap:

Holtby - 1.9

OEL - 2.7
Virtanen - .5

The forward group might be a bit small in stature, but they are hard to play against and they have a ton of speed. Something that is lacking in our current group of forwards. Domi, Grant, and Larsson are all workhorses for their current club, who aren’t afraid to get dirty. Steel is a pesky little fella, who scout say has great hockey IQ and speed. Watching him he reminds me of Cooke, minus the dirty stuff. All in all, I think this group can compete for a playoff spot, especially with BB behind the helm. It will sucks that we lose a prospect like Hoglander/Podkolzon and a top 15 pick, but the defensive group is a lot more mobile with the addition of Chychrun and Lundkvist. Something that JR harped on. 

Any deal with Rangers only starts with Schneider, 20, 6'2, 210, RD -- We don't want Lundkqvist, 21,  5'11... We already have 2 small D man, Hughes 5'10, Rathbone 5'11

Van-- Schneider 20, 6'2 RD--- Chytil, 23, 6'3, C,  - Barron 22, 6'4 -- 2nd rounder 2022

NYR-- Miller 6'1 -- Motte 26 , 5'10, UFA

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

To Anaheim:

Dickenson

To Vancouver:

Derek Grant

Sam Steel

2nd round pick

To Colorado: 

Tyler Motte

2nd round pick

To Vancouver:

Tyson Jost

To Arizona: 

Hoglander/Podkolzin

Tyson Jost
Tucker Poolman
Dipietro

1st round pick

To Vancouver:

Jakob Chychrun

2nd round pick

To New York:

J.T Miller

Luke Schenn

To Vancouver:

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkqvist

1st round pick

3rd round pick

Re-sign Martin 1yr/1.3m

Lockwood

Hughes (7.8) - Myers (6)

Cole (1.2) - Juulsen

Lundkvist

Demko (5)

Martin (1.3)

Deadcap:

Holtby - 1.9

OEL - 2.7
Virtanen - .5

No reason to trade OEL, certainly no reason to retain salary. Last 2 games where he wasn't told to be a shutdown defenseman, he played like a proper top pairing offensive gun. If we get him a stay at home partner, he and Hughes will run our blue line and we can build a supporting cast that makes ours one of the best in the NHL. His deployment on this team has been as a shutdown defenseman, a role he has done admirably, but it's somehow made Myers look good and him look bad. 

No to the second trade - Chychrun is an absolute scrub. Guy has 11 points and is -27, now that he doesn't have OEL cleaning up his messes and allowing him the freedom to play irresponsibly. We also have no business trading away 1st round picks, DiPietro is most definitely not a potential #1 goalie (look at his numbers), and Poolman is a negative value player. 

Chytil is a big risk - a definite potential bust, But Lundquvist and the 1st make the third trade potentially interesting. 

Also boeser's qo is 7 mil something, so how would we get him for 6?

I'd be down if we trimmed away a lot of the peripheral pieces in the trades.

e.g. Anaheim: no to trading OEL.  We can try Dickinson (maybe + Poolman or Hamonic) for Steel's RFA rights (condition that he'd re-sign; he hasn't panned out so far, stuck as 4th line C) + pick.  Shed the cap and buy-low on a guy who could have similar upside if utilized properly.  Jost would be an intriguing option to pick up and I would consider breaking up our utility line if only to get someone young and inexpensive like him who has had defensive 3rd C potential.  No need for the Chychrun deal.  Miller (if he goes) I agree should be for Chytil and Schneider.

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser
Podkolzin - Horvat - Garland
Pearson - Jost - Chytil
Steel - Lammikko - Highmore

OEL - Myers
Hughes - Schneider
Burroughs? - Schenn

22 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd be down if we trimmed away a lot of the peripheral pieces in the trades.

e.g. Anaheim: no to trading OEL.  We can try Dickinson (maybe + Poolman or Hamonic) for Steel's RFA rights (condition that he'd re-sign; he hasn't panned out so far, stuck as 4th line C) + pick.  Shed the cap and buy-low on a guy who could have similar upside if utilized properly.  Jost would be an intriguing option to pick up and I would consider breaking up our utility line if only to get someone young and inexpensive like him who has had defensive 3rd C potential.  No need for the Chychrun deal.  Miller (if he goes) I agree should be for Chytil and Schneider.

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser
Podkolzin - Horvat - Garland
Pearson - Jost - Chytil
Steel - Lammikko - Highmore

OEL - Myers
Hughes - Schneider
Burroughs? - Schenn

3rd pairing- Schenn and Rathbone next season...#7 Juulsen 6'2, 24, 205 ---  #8 Burroughs 26- 6'0 195- 

I'd prefer these retooling moves:

Before 2022 TDL

To NYR: Miller ($1.25m retained)

To VAN: Schneider + Chytil + 1st

To WSH: Hamonic + Halak

To VAN: Kempny + 3rd

To ARI: Chytil + Dickinson + Poolman + 1st (NYR) + 3rd (WSH)

To VAN: Crouse

To BOS: Garland

To VAN: Lysell + 1st

In off season

Sign Trocheck $7m x 6 years

Sign Boeser $6.3m x 8 years

Sign Domi $3.75m x 4 years

Sign Crouse $3.75m x 4 years

Sign Rathbone $950k x 2 years

Sign Lammikko $750k x 2 years

Sign Highmore $750k x 2 years

Sign Martin $1m x 2 years

Trade:

To FLA: 2023 3rd round pick

To VAN: Hornqvist + 2023 1st round pick

image.thumb.png.fbea1ec190de7a6c96c3bec9553b998a.png

2022-23 Roster:

Domi Horvat Podkolzin

Crouse Trocheck Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Hornqvist

Pearson Lammikko Highmore

(Dowling)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schneider

Rathbone Schenn

(Burroughs Juulsen)

Demko (Martin)

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

You don't shed salary by retaining nearly 3m dead cap for 5 years on a guy playing top 10 hardest mins in the league with 2 goals and 5 points in the last 3 games 

Are you expecting OEL to withstand his level of play when he’s 35-36 years old being paid 7m+? Like I said, 2.7m is the difference between having an elite bottom six forward/a reliable bottom 2 defensemen or not. You can find a lot of those players around the league making less than that. 

11 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

No reason to trade OEL, certainly no reason to retain salary. Last 2 games where he wasn't told to be a shutdown defenseman, he played like a proper top pairing offensive gun. If we get him a stay at home partner, he and Hughes will run our blue line and we can build a supporting cast that makes ours one of the best in the NHL. His deployment on this team has been as a shutdown defenseman, a role he has done admirably, but it's somehow made Myers look good and him look bad. 

No to the second trade - Chychrun is an absolute scrub. Guy has 11 points and is -27, now that he doesn't have OEL cleaning up his messes and allowing him the freedom to play irresponsibly. We also have no business trading away 1st round picks, DiPietro is most definitely not a potential #1 goalie (look at his numbers), and Poolman is a negative value player. 

Chytil is a big risk - a definite potential bust, But Lundquvist and the 1st make the third trade potentially interesting. 

Also boeser's qo is 7 mil something, so how would we get him for 6?

Chychrun played more 60mins/per against elite competition than OEL (per hockeyiq) in Arizona last year. He was hardly sheltered by him. Goligoski was a bigger loss to Chychrun than OEL was. 

Boeser QO is 7.5, if we want to retain his rights, but we can negotiate a longer term with less caphit if we choose to. If Boeser knows best, he would take the guarantee money and security rather than risking his health and lose on his next contract.

9 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

OEL’s NMC is still in effect I believe.  The other team he said he was willing to goto was BOS

Sunny Anaheim weather playing along side the beach or rainy cold Vancouver? I think most players would choose the latter. 

Edited by shiznak

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I'd prefer these retooling moves:

Before 2022 TDL

To NYR: Miller ($1.25m retained)

To VAN: Schneider + Chytil + 1st

To WSH: Hamonic + Halak

To VAN: Kempny + 3rd

To ARI: Chytil + Dickinson + Poolman + 1st (NYR) + 3rd (WSH)

To VAN: Crouse

To BOS: Garland

To VAN: Lysell + 1st

In off season

Sign Trocheck $7m x 6 years

Sign Boeser $6.3m x 8 years

Sign Domi $3.75m x 4 years

Sign Crouse $3.75m x 4 years

Sign Rathbone $950k x 2 years

Sign Lammikko $750k x 2 years

Sign Highmore $750k x 2 years

Sign Martin $1m x 2 years

Trade:

To FLA: 2023 3rd round pick

To VAN: Hornqvist + 2023 1st round pick

image.thumb.png.fbea1ec190de7a6c96c3bec9553b998a.png

2022-23 Roster:

Domi Horvat Podkolzin

Crouse Trocheck Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Hornqvist

Pearson Lammikko Highmore

(Dowling)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schneider

Rathbone Schenn

(Burroughs Juulsen)

Demko (Martin)

Washington want a goalie that allows Laviolette to sleep soundly at night and are looking for a Cup-calibre starter per Seravalli.  That wouldn't be Halak.

Per Friedman, Arizona's preference is to keep Crouse.  Don't think they would be willing to take cap dumps without getting significant future assets in return.  They are set to lose considerable money for the next few years.  Would think they are going to hoard LTIR contracts to reach the floor provided they are covered by insurance and fill their roster with league minimum contracts or players who have higher cap hits than their salaries.

Boston's primary need above anything else is finding a C2 - don't see them using their best trade chips on a winger when C2 is such a pressing need.

Things really didn't end well between Hornqvist and Rutherford - both sides probably wouldn't want a reunion.

Edited by mll

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

Are you expecting OEL to withstand his level of play when he’s 35-36 years old being paid 7m+? 

Defensemen tend to maintain production/ability until 34. Especially if they can skate (OEL can skate). At worst, we probably have 1, maybe 2 years where he plays at a 2nd pair level. And by that point, his cap is probably approaching 2nd pair rate anyway.

Given our lack of legit, top 4 D, there's zero reason to retain cap on OEL to "dump" him.

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Defensemen tend to maintain production/ability until 34. Especially if they can skate (OEL can skate). At worst, we probably have 1, maybe 2 years where he plays at a 2nd pair level. And by that point, his cap is probably approaching 2nd pair rate anyway.

Given our lack of legit, top 4 D, there's zero reason to retain cap on OEL to "dump" him.

Given JR wants to restructure the defense and shed salary in the process. OEL would be my prefer of choice to be dealt with the length of his contract, age, and alignment of our window as contenders. Even if he maintain his ability to compete at a 2nd pairing guy. His salary will eat up a lot of value cap, for future additions to the team.

If we make a play on Chychrun, a player who we need, with the lack of production on our backend. OEL is pretty much expendable, much like he was in Arizona. Put him on a team that isn’t ranked in the bottom 3, in the league, in xGF/60, and I think we’ll see a much more productive Chychrun, like he was a season ago. 

OEL is not going to go anywhere, if he was open to any scenario the only other club he has suggested interest in was Boston. So I see a 99.9% chance he plays out his deal in Vancouver and I'm not going to lie thats not a bad thing.

If Motte can be resigned at " fair price " for a 4th liner you do it. He is one of those guys teams need.

Schenn, Boudreau loves him. He can skate, distribute the puck and is that physical element on defense thats needed. He is the ideal depth / bottom pair dman

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Given JR wants to restructure the defense and shed salary in the process. OEL would be my prefer of choice to be dealt with the length of his contract, age, and alignment of our window as contenders. Even if he maintain his ability to compete at a 2nd pairing guy. His salary will eat up a lot of value cap, for future additions to the team.

If we make a play on Chychrun, a player who we need, with the lack of production on our backend. OEL is pretty much expendable, much like he was in Arizona. Put him on a team that isn’t ranked in the bottom 3, in the league, in xGF/60, and I think we’ll see a much more productive Chychrun, like he was a season ago. 

But then you're giving up assets to get rid of OEL, giving up assets to add Chychrun all for a largely lateral move in talent and a few years of cap savings. Chychrun will be getting paid on his next deal too, so it's not like this helps out long term cap.

That's a lot to give up to improve a little. I think you could make bigger roster improvements elsewhere, with other moves.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

But then you're giving up assets to get rid of OEL, giving up assets to add Chychrun all for a largely lateral move in talent and a few years of cap savings. Chychrun will be getting paid on his next deal too, so it's not like this helps out long term cap.

That's a lot to give up to improve a little. I think you could make bigger roster improvements elsewhere, with other moves.

We’re actually gaining assets (Steel and a 2nd. Grant as a freebie piece) and gaining cap flexibility as well. 

Out:

OEL - 7.2

Dickinson - 2.6

= 9.8m

In:

OEL’s deadcap - 2.7

Steel - >1.2

Grant - 1.5

= 5.4m

I don’t see re-signing Chychrun as much of a problem. He’s probably going to get 7-8m on his next contract. Which is what we essentially be paying him now, if you add up his current contract (4.6) and OEL’s deadcap (2.7).