The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Never seen him play. Doesn’t need to fight… but he’s soft to play against? We don’t want that.

We want to truculate.

He's like a Pearson in terms of level of physicality. Throw a hit or two a game. He brings face-off and two-way ability on top of decent levels of scoring(better scoring with offensive guys).

As it stands now he's probably a top 9 forward on a good team but he could have a bit more in him. 24 turning 25 soon. Kind of broke out a tiny bit last year when he looked like a top 6 guy but off-year this year but when you're on the Devils likelihood of off-years is probably higher, they're not good this year especially.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My guess is that they're considering Zacha if they're considering moving Miller. If Miller's gone then Zacha would get an opportunity in the top 6. Zacha 50%+ he last couple of years on the dot. He also plays a bit of a two-way role and can PK but hasn't PKed as much this year compared to previous years where he was a mainstay.

There's no way we can currently re-sign Zacha. Not sure Devils would be interested in Boeser over Garland. Boeser has a 7.5M qualifying offer whereas Garland's locked up at a reasonable cap hit and term.

Makes sense to me, he'll 25 in a couple months but that lines up with JR's wanting us to be playoff competitors in 2-3 years. 

His ppg has gotten better each season, there could definitely be upside there. 

Zacka is ok I guess.  He's another huge but soft player who is a decent PK guy and can put up some points.  Not sure about his C abilities, but he does have a decent f/o %.  I can see the management trading Garland, as I get a sense that they don't like him due to size.  Imo Garland is the better player and brings more to the game.

Here's something about Zacka from a sbnation

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2020/8/27/21403833/should-the-devils-keep-pavel-zacha

8 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Zacha's  -18 this year stands out to me.  Worst on the Devils by a healthy margin.  Not sure how well that would go over with Boudreau.

Devils have 7 players -11 or higher. They play in the the 1st or 2nd best division in the league(IMO Atlantic top 2 is better than Metro's top 2 but Metro's top 4 is better and Atlantic has worse bottom teams).

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But only 1 over -13.....any guess who that might be??:lol:

I think when you're that bad as a team and play in that good of a division nobody really cares about +/-. Rags/Caps/Canes/Pengs are gonna smoke you. 

Nobody should really value +/- when your team is having a bad season anyway. Hughes was -24 last year and the next closest guy was -15. Horvat was -30 one year. Gudbranson was -27 one year. Hutton had three seasons -20 or higher and now he is. Look at a lot of these guys now.

• Upvote 3

I was a bit fan of Pavel Zacha. I had him in my fantasy league for a few years. The guy struggled at first but he really started to show some potential just before the bubble and last season. But he keeps getting passed on the depth chart by guys like Jack Hughes and Dawson Mercer which makes him less utilized. They got him on wing now but I can imagine his confidence is on the lower side given he keeps losing ground. If he has a specific role and is given an opportunity in that role I think he would thrive. He has produced near half  a ppg for stretches in a third line role. I think a change of scenery might help him. He may not be a star player but he could become a useful one in the right scenario. 

He's worth a flyer imo if the cost is fair.

Edited by Rush17
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think lots of us here are over valuing Zacha, guys like Boeser and Garland won't be involved, you probably could get a deal done with the likes of our 2023 2nd Dickinson and Adain McDonough, like Jeff Marek said the Devils will probably lose him for nothing next offseason, Garland is cost controlled for the next 4 years and brings a spark, trading out Boeser is a good way to piss off Pettersson and Hughes and Horvat, if the Devils are asking about anyone in our top 6 we should simply hang up     

Edited by CanucksCountry
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

I think lots of us here are over valuing Zacha, guys like Boeser and Garland won't be involved, you probably could get a deal done with the likes of our 2023 2nd Dickinson and Adain McDonough, like Jeff Marek said the Devils will probably lose him for nothing next offseason, Garland is cost controlled for the next 4 years and brings a spark, trading out Boeser is a good way to piss off Pettersson and Hughes and Horvat, if the Devils are asking about anyone in our top 6 we should simply hang up     

I think like others have said if we’re trading them Garland it would be for Zacha+.

How much that plus is would be the question. We definitely need a third line center though. Can we get a good young D out of it too?

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think like others have said if we’re trading them Garland it would be for Zacha+.

How much that plus is would be the question. We definitely need a third line center though. Can we get a good young D out of it too?

the issue most of the Devils D are LHD outside of Walsh or Severson it doesn't make sense imho rather make a hockey trade here and not play magic beans with a prospect imho, though i'd also trade Rathbone for a RHD 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Pavel Zacha

Michael McLeod

Kevin Bahl

To New Jersey:

Conor Garland

Jack Rathbone

Aidan McDonough

Bahl goes home and Bone and McDonough move back east close to Boston...

Not much potential left for these guys. To me it looks like two bottom 6 centers and a bottom pairing dman. Wouldn’t be thrilled if that was the return for Garland alone let alone adding in Rathbone and McDonough. Garland is on a great contract if NJ wants him I would be looking at Mercer. A Center prospect with potential on their team now. If they want a top 6 guy locked in on a good contract I want a blue chip prospect not a bunch of okay guys.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Not really sure where the fit is. I am guessing he wants out cause he wants top 6 looks. But is also a center, 46% career faceoff percentage is pretty decent. Soooooo, what would be the plan for him here? I doubt he gets moved and settles in on our 3rd line, if he was fine with that role he'd just stay in New Jersey. They are young and have a good mix of up and coming studs. Unless he just really dislikes the city I guess, but is fine with a 3rd line role just not with them. A lot to like about him, don't get me wrong. Just not sure what the fit would be.

Zacha is playing top-6 but on the wing - he barely plays C anymore.  He has spent most of the season on Hischier's wing and is 3rd in TOI among Fs behind only Hughes and Hischier.  

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope.

We have no reason to trade Rathbone or McDonaugh.

Bahl is seriously overrated cause of his size on here.

If NJ wants Garland they overpay, we don’t accommodate to make it even.

I think you are undervaluing Zacha.  One for one he is a more complete player than Garland.  He can play multiple positions and can also kill penalties.  Plus he's a foot taller than Garland.

I don't want to trade Rathbone either but I just don't see how he can be effective enough for us playing on the 3rd pairing.  Bahl will be a gamer I think.  6'6" guys take time to develop.  Chara could barely skate at Bahl's age.

• Vintage 1