The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

38 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Core players right now for me: Demko, Hughes, Petey and Bo.

I know this could come back to bite me down the line... and I hope it does,,, but Petey is not looking elie at all these days.

He was invisible again tonight.

I like your core but to me this team is primarily Demko and Miller.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

i severely doubt it, Garland is the better player despite having less ice time and really sturs the pot for us, Devlis would have to add massively, like Marek said he is more than likely going to walk next offseason, don't see why would trade the cost controlled winger on a good contract for that

They add but not massively.  The Canucks are interested in Zacha as explained by Marek in the clip posted - ie Vancouver sees something of value in him that interests them.  

47 minutes ago, mll said:

Irfaan Gaffar says he knows that Boeser wants to stay and be part of that young group.  He thinks they will find a way to get a deal done.  

Brock has proven me wrong many times over the past few seasons. He's streaky but I feel his all around game has improved. Obviously needs to work on his skating out of the blocks but he can get there. I'm nervous on Brock. I'm nervous on Petey as well. These guys don't look elite at all. Glad I'm not in charge

Bringing in another young forward like Zacha can't hurt. I wonder what it would take?

9 minutes ago, mll said:

They add but not massively.  The Canucks are interested in Zacha as explained by Marek in the clip posted - ie Vancouver sees something of value in him that interests them.  

we can be interested in a player and still not trade a guy like Garland for him, I really do think the devils add alot Zacha hasn't been great this year and a lot of people still think he is good just because he was drafted high 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

we can be interested in a player and still not trade a guy like Garland for him, I really do think the devils add alot Zacha hasn't been great this year and a lot of people still think he is good just because he was drafted high 

Rutherford might not see Garland as part of the team going forward.  Rachel Doerrie worked for NJD under Hynes and would have insight on Zacha.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

Zacha is another reclamation project is the issue, there is a reason the devils want to dump him, a deal around a 2nd round pick being the center of it should be enough to get it done  

Zacha has a world class shot, is a big boy who can handle playoff hockey and has a great 200' game.  Those types of players don't grow on trees.  I like Garland and he checks alot of boxes, but from his play the last few weeks you can tell he can get worn down due to his size.  Not good for playoff hockey.  Garland has 3 points in his last 10 games.  He's not a penalty killer and doesn't play on the 1st unit PP, so if he isn't getting points he is not really helping the team.  Zacha on the other hand can play centre and wing, can kill penalties, is a big body in front of the net, can go to the corners with the big boys and is also somewhat productive offensively.  If Boudreau can turn him into a 50-60 point player then it's a one sided trade really.

He is an RFA and is one year to UFA, so that would be the major stumbling block to any deal.  JR would have to get him to sign a long term deal like Benning did with Garland.  I like Garland and he is on a good contract, but his size creates limitations in his game.  A perfect example is Lammikko.  Boudreau has turned him into a beast and because of his size he can be much more effective in his role.  Boudreau can't really get any more from Garland.  With Zacha, you could turn him loose playing with Petey and he would look good on his wing.  With Zacha and Podkolzin on the wings, Petey could focus more of the offensive side of his game playing with 2 responsible wingers.  It could be a great line really.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

Zacha is an interesting piece for me. 

He definitely isn't worth either Garland or Boeser though.  Besides I think Brock is gonna take less and sign. Apparently he really wants to stay. I don't think Zacha would cost that much unless we made it into a better deal. If it was just Zacha I could see Hoglander and Poolman/Dickinson (they take a slightly inflated contract back). I wouldn't trade Hoglander tho, I think he is just going through the typical sophomore slump. He always competes, wins battles, is hard on the puck and causes turnovers. The offence will come, he does all the right things offensively. He gets chance after chance. If they want to make a deal bigger and do Zacha +(prospect Bahl maybe?) + 2nd for Garland fine. 

The problem I have with Zacha is he is 1 year away from UFA and he needs a new contract. If he doesn't like the number its easy for him to take a 1 year deal and walk. Just looking at comparable's he is probably going to command close to 4 million. That might be slightly high but error on the side of caution. Can we afford that? If he plays in the top 6 fair enough, but if he is our 3rd line C that is probably too high. 

Now it sounds like he's mostly been used on the wing this season? Although every season prior he was a C? He has decent f/o numbers which is good. Career 46% but last few up around 50%. Good versatility and could play C or W on Petey's line or at least take the F/o like Miller did. Apparently he plays PK but I have no idea how good he is in that department. The problem is we need a third C badly. 

We need to get wingers that crash and bang, and have an edge. From all accounts he is a bigger body, like a Pearson or Dickinson. Doesn't play big or nasty. He definitely has better offensive upside and I could see him really doing well here. It just comes down to the price to acquire him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Zacha is an interesting piece for me. 

He definitely isn't worth either Garland or Boeser though.  Besides I think Brock is gonna take less and sign. Apparently he really wants to stay. I don't think Zacha would cost that much unless we made it into a better deal. If it was just Zacha I could see Hoglander and Poolman/Dickinson (they take a slightly inflated contract back). I wouldn't trade Hoglander tho, I think he is just going through the typical sophomore slump. He always competes, wins battles, is hard on the puck and causes turnovers. The offence will come, he does all the right things offensively. He gets chance after chance. If they want to make a deal bigger and do Zacha +(prospect Bahl maybe?) + 2nd for Garland fine. 

The problem I have with Zacha is he is 1 year away from UFA and he needs a new contract. If he doesn't like the number its easy for him to take a 1 year deal and walk. Just looking at comparable's he is probably going to command close to 4 million. That might be slightly high but error on the side of caution. Can we afford that? If he plays in the top 6 faiI think if they'e movinfr enough, but if he is our 3rd line C that is probably too high. 

Now it sounds like he's mostly been used on the wing this season? Although every season prior he was a C? He has decent f/o numbers which is good. Career 46% but last few up around 50%. Good versatility and could play C or W on Petey's line or at least take the F/o like Miller did. Apparently he plays PK but I have no idea how good he is in that department. The problem is we need a third C badly. 

We need to get wingers that crash and bang, and have an edge. From all accounts he is a bigger body, like a Pearson or Dickinson. Doesn't play big or nasty. He definitely has better offensive upside and I could see him really doing well here. It just comes down to the price to acquire him. 

I feel like if they're moving a winger (boes or Gar) then they'd want Zacha in the middle........they need a C and a couple of D not winger for winger, imo

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I feel like if they're moving a winger (boes or Gar) then they'd want Zacha in the middle........they need a C and a couple of D not winger for winger, imo

I agree completely. I know nothing about Bahl as a prospect, I just know he is 6'6. Anyone know his game?

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

Lol c'mon. You don't trade a top line winger capable of 25-30goals 60 PTS for a middle 6 forward who has never hit 40.

Let's be honest, he's a 20-25 goal man and a second is nothing to scoff at. Zacha is also a better all around player

I'd prefer they go after a #4 dman with Boeser though

2 hours ago, bad alice french said:

I know this could come back to bite me down the line... and I hope it does,,, but Petey is not looking elie at all these days.

He was invisible again tonight.

I like your core but to me this team is primarily Demko and Miller.

So you just conveniently ignore the 10 points he put up in his last 11 before tonight?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

There is definitely a ton of bias in this market. I think Garland has been a great pickup for the Canucks, but some people think Garland is not a great fit (ridiculous).

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I don't think anyone does.  I think they just see he's 6'6" and want him here (including the ones who think we need to get rid of Myers).:lol:

If Myers was on an ELC level contract, no one would want to be getting rid of him… so that is a bit of a nonsense comment.

Folks can read scouting reports just fine.  They can also look at our organizational depth on D on the roster and with our prospects and know we need some more talent in the pipeline.