The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Black Skate Returns!

Rate this topic

Roberts

Black Skate Jersey to return!  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Blue, Green and White is such a unique and beautiful colour scheme that is wholly unique to the league.  The biggest mistake the Canucks made in their branding history was moving away from those colours when they adopted the flying V.  The Skate jerseys certainly are attractive in their own right and will always represent (arguably) the franchises greatest postseason run but if they go back to them, the Canucks will forever be branded as the team with an identity crisis.  From cool colours to hot colours to cool and back again.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Who the heck voted no to this?  

14 hours ago, morgo said:

Blue, Green and White is such a unique and beautiful colour scheme that is wholly unique to the league.  The biggest mistake the Canucks made in their branding history was moving away from those colours when they adopted the flying V.  The Skate jerseys certainly are attractive in their own right and will always represent (arguably) the franchises greatest postseason run but if they go back to them, the Canucks will forever be branded as the team with an identity crisis.  From cool colours to hot colours to cool and back again.

Lol.   Aren't we already branded with what you say is an "identity crisis"?...I think it's pretty darn clear that people love those uniforms - and no it's not just about our best run...it's because it's the best colours we've ever had.    The best team we ever had with the Orca - the players themselves - wanted to wear it.   And for good reason.   We owned the "black" before it was a massive big deal in the late 90's and half the league decided to go black.    It's going to take another 20-30 years before we the "Orca" is seen as the better uniform - don't worry it will come to pass.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

The best team we ever had with the Orca - the players themselves - wanted to wear it.   And for good reason.   We 

The 2011 team wanted to wear the Skate?  You have a citation for this?

We owned the "black" before it was a massive big deal in the late 90's and half the league decided to go black.    It's going to take another 20-30 years before we the "Orca" is seen as the better uniform - don't worry it will come to pass.   

The Canucks never owned black.  If any team could claim ownership of that colour, it's Boston...  And maybe Pittsburgh.  Blue, Green and White is a scheme we owned in the 70's and can own now.

3 hours ago, morgo said:

The Canucks never owned black.  If any team could claim ownership of that colour, it's Boston...  And maybe Pittsburgh.  Blue, Green and White is a scheme we owned in the 70's and can own now.

I wouldn't want that to happen at all and trust me, you don't either. lol

You can claim ownership of what you make out of the colours, but to claim ownership of the colours themselves would have horrible implications throughout the creative world. Imagine being able to claim a scale in music or be able to claim a type of paper used in art so that no one could use that scale or paper. That's kind of similar to this idea. lol

Edited by The Lock

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

I wouldn't want that to happen at all and trust me, you don't either. lol

You can claim ownership of what you make out of the colours, but to claim ownership of the colours themselves would have horrible implications throughout the creative world. Imagine being able to claim a scale in music or be able to claim a type of paper used in art so that no one could use that scale or paper. That's kind of similar to this idea. lol

you're misinterpreting what he means by "own," but that said, lots of companies/entities do own trademarks on colours. 

11 hours ago, morgo said:

Yes Bieksa has talked about it.   It's not uncommon knowledge.   Sure let's just say we co-owned the black.   And did for many years.   PIT copied the Bruins colours - ours were unique different red and yellow/gold.   The Sabres and Vancouver came into the league at the same time didn't they?  And what about St. Louis?  And the Whalers.   Not like we "owned" our original colours either.   Every team is a blend of something.   Our current ones are mostly blue - and look nothing like our original ones.   I agree that was a better one then our current one though.   

On 2/22/2022 at 7:57 AM, IBatch said:

Who the heck voted no to this?  

Lol.   Aren't we already branded with what you say is an "identity crisis"?...I think it's pretty darn clear that people love those uniforms - and no it's not just about our best run...it's because it's the best colours we've ever had.    The best team we ever had with the Orca - the players themselves - wanted to wear it.   And for good reason.   We owned the "black" before it was a massive big deal in the late 90's and half the league decided to go black.    It's going to take another 20-30 years before we the "Orca" is seen as the better uniform - don't worry it will come to pass.   

I love both colour schemes. For me, wearing the Canucks Skate is going back to a logo that screams Canucks hockey, the speed of hockey and getting away from the Orca. 

I love the idea of recolouring the Skate and using navy blue instead of royal blue with the kelly green. Navy keeps the intimidating dark aspect like the black while maintaining the BC theme of blue and green. Much like the Whitecaps. They went from royal blue to navy while maintaining the classic double blue identity.

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not like we "owned" our original colours either.   Every team is a blend of something.

We actually did though.  The only other team that used Blue, and Green was the Whalers and they were Green dominant with blue-trim.  We were the opposite.  Now no teams use Blue and Green except us.  I'd rather that than something similar to the Calgary Lames...

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Our current ones are mostly blue - and look nothing like our original ones.   I agree that was a better one then our current one though.   

So what if they don't look like our originals?  Those were only worn for two seasons.  Our current jerseys are stripe for stripe identical to the ones we wore from 1972 to 1977 before the flying V happened.  They just use the Orca instead of the Stick in Rink and a different number font.

• Cheers 1

On 2/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, morgo said:

So Bieksa and now Miller ... oh snap. 

Back when the team was wearing the original navy orca, everybody was clamouring for the blue and green stick to come back. The skate was an afterthought. Now that we're back in blue and green, people want the skate. Its just nostalgia for what currently isn't being worn, and the Canucks don't need to trade in their unique and fitting colour scheme to look like team Germany knock-offs because they're the flavour of the month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

Back when the team was wearing the original navy orca, everybody was clamouring for the blue and green stick to come back. The skate was an afterthought. Now that we're back in blue and green, people want the skate. Its just nostalgia for what currently isn't being worn, and the Canucks don't need to trade in their unique and fitting colour scheme to look like team Germany knock-offs because they're the flavour of the month.

Agreed, skate as a 3rd at most, stick to blue/green primary. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, IBatch said:

PIT copied the Bruins colours

something tells me they didn't ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

edit: it was total coincidence that these two photos are virtually identical. I just googled pittsburgh pirates and pittsburgh steelers and used the first viable results. i didn't even notice the similarity until now. :lol:

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, McBackup said:

This is why I think they kept the SiR as the third far too long. They should rotate the third out every 2-5 years. It would help appease the undying need for change and the I want my favorite back.crowd.