The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Tyler Toffoli to Flames for Tyler Pitlick, Emil Heineman, 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 5th-round pick

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sure but a team like Colorado is on another level skating wise. I think they would expose Calgary pretty bad.

Vegas is adding Eichel. They played horrible against Calgary I don’t think that’s a good example of what they can do.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Normally I'd agree, but watching Calgary they got it going on as a team. Believe me, it pains me. Sutter knows how to win and really they are built to play different styles. Add the goaltending and that's a recipe for success 

I actually think the Flames are better built for playoff hockey than the Avs... but we'll see ...

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and people are thinking a top young player/prospect, a 1st round pick, and another piece is too rich for Miller?

I think Toffoli is a great pick up, but there is a LOT of daylight between him and Miller in terms of what they bring to a team

Toffoli is slightly more valuable that Boeser as a player, imo, but boesers contract situation brings his value down more 

Still, this is good for Van.......Ave and Nash have to be watching that closely

Just now, rekker said:

Normally I'd agree, but watching Calgary they got it going on as a team. Believe me, it pains me. Sutter knows how to win and really they are built to play different styles. Add the goaltending and that's a recipe for success 

They’ll be good no doubt. I don’t see them as a contender though.

Everything is going perfect for them right now. At some point if scoring dries up or Marky isn’t playing great can they overcome that? 

We’ll see.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I actually think the Flames are better built for playoff hockey than the Avs... but we'll see ...

They’re looking great right now no doubt.

But I think this is the best hockey guys like Gudbranson, Zadorov, and Kylington have played.

Are they a legit Stanley cup contending D or are they overachieving a bit right now?

They also risk overplaying Tanev and Markstrom who we all know have a long injury history. Take out either one of those players and they struggle IMO.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting that they’re trading for him over a month before the trade deadline. You’d think they’d wanna maximize cap space.

Does this force other teams to follow suit?

Funny I think we acquired Toffoli in February too...

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So breaking this down...

Heineman (B-level prospect)

Pitlick (4th liner at best)

1st round pick (probably between 20th and 25th OA)

5th

Toffoli is on a good cap hit, and still produces at a decent rate, and is not a rental, so that sets a baseline for a guy like Miller.

Given that package, I could now see a package like this for Miller:

1. A-level prospect

2. 3rd liner / lower tier top 4D

3. 1st

4. 4th/5th ... some filler asset

From the Rangers now it would have to be:

Probably the rangers current offer: 

Chytil 

Kravtsov

1st rounder  

I can see them not getting serious until the last minute. They really value Schneider from all accounts. They'll try their best not to include any of AL, KK or BS

What we should be accepting (Because I doubt they would include Kakko or Alex Laf)

Schneider (A prospect)

Kravtsov (Has value of a 3rd rounder probably or equivalent to a 3rd liner roster player . Wants out of NY and they want to throw him in this deal bad) 

1st rounder (I'd try to get it in 2023 as it is a deeper draft)

2nd rounder (In 2022 as we don't currently have one)

My dream offer by them is still Kakko and Schneider straight up for Miller. 

Overall this Toffoli deal proved one thing... You have to give up to get... Canucks should hold out until they get exactly what they want

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and people are thinking a top young player/prospect, a 1st round pick, and another piece is too rich for Miller?

I think Toffoli is a great pick up, but there is a LOT of daylight between him and Miller in terms of what they bring to a team

If we are out of a playoff position closer to the trade deadline then we can explore this. Not now.

Also, agree with the haul needing to be bigger for Miller. I would still rather keep him even if we don’t make the playoffs but this is all depending on his desire to re-up here.

Sutter will have this team ready for the playoffs. 

They better hope that Markstrom doesn't get overused making the playoffs, he plays sloppy when tired. Plus Tanev hasn't had any injuries, YET !! one bad hit and he's out for a while. That'll kill their defense badly.

By this time next year the players will dispise Sutter's ways and stop playing for him. 

• Cheers 1