The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Tyler Toffoli to Flames for Tyler Pitlick, Emil Heineman, 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 5th-round pick

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I think it’s the wrong message to the team. They still have some time. If they can put together another decent win streak, they will be in the mix. 

One could argue that settling for mediocrity sends the wrong message too. They're a long shot any way you spin it, and if we hold on to high value assets and miss that's just another season they've missed out on the playoffs with a fringe playoff team. 

It'd be one more season Horvat and Miller miss out as Canucks, and one season closer to them being ufa's. If you want to keep Horvat, and I think he's the guy to retain, show him you're serious about making the team better in the long term by making the hard choices needed to bolster other areas of the roster. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It will MAINLY, depend on Allvins' negotiation skills and the desperation of the other GM.   HAS Allvin, created enough of a market to demand an impressive return and will he be able to execute it ?

Wonder who becomes a contender faster, between the Habs & Nucks ?

True, Allvin is a new GM with a new team, under the veteran Rutherford. He might be very careful about any moves he makes. JR has an open approach to his managers, everyone's opinion matters, and should speak up, and I wonder if this will cause roadblocks making some moves, difference of opinions.

I think VAN will become a contender a lot faster than MTL.  They're a real mess. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the way I look at it.

Their window is going to be open for a very short period.

Johnny hockey is getting a fat payday and you’ll never have that D core along with Mangiapanne having a career year again. 

And how long can Marky play at a vezina caliber level? Does he have a few more years like this in him or is this him peaking? That will determine a lot.

Either way this hurts their prospect pool and makes what will be their eventual rebuild even longer.

Watch them rip it all apart at the draft table this year lol.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, camaro ss said:

Isn’t this an over payment by a long shot.

The same sort of overpayment that many teams make at the deadline and exactly why we need to leverage this market inefficiency.  Every year several teams overpay for a better chance at the Cup and only one team wins it.  1st round picks get thrown around for journeyman rentals all the time

Most GMs have to think short term to save their jobs.  We have a guy that has some rope still as he just started.  He can trade away Miller, Boeser, Pearson, Hamonic, Poolman, Halak, etc for younger roster players and futures.

The other side of the coin is that at the draft GMs do a complete 180 turn and seriously overvalue 1st round picks.  We could take some late 1st round picks (and some 2nd and 3rd rounders) we get at the deadline and flip them for better roster players at the draft and end up well ahead of the game and with a bunch of cap freed up to take a run at a guy in free agency.  I could also see  realistic scenario where we use a late 1st or early 2nd rounder to move up a spot or two to get the player we want in the top 10  (Jiricek or Nemec for example).  We need to get that currency this deadline though to be able to swing those sorts of deals.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As good as Calgary look, this team is in their prime now and they're a fringe playoff team. I think if they make the playoffs they'll do well, but they're peaking now and only going to get older and worse. This trade sells a lot of their future away too, it's a big gamble for a 20 goal scorer.

I wouldn't call them fringe at all, they're a point behind Vegas for the division lead with three games in hand. They likely handily make the playoffs as the first or second seed unless they absolutely crap the bed. They've got games in hand on the Ducks and Kings as well. 

It's a steep price, but going for it makes sense given the age of their core. And Tofu's not a rental, so if he can provide complimentary offense over the remainder of his deal it doesn't look as bad. 

Man... If Tofu gets this kinda of haul, just imagine what Miller could bring as the arms race starts to ramp up this year. I hope teams start to panic buy and the Avs buy high on Giroux, and Minny on Pavelski. We'd have the rangers kissing PA feet to over spend on Miller. 

Edited by Shayster007

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I mean the rest of their top six aren't real men.  Still way too many gutless cowards in that group to expect any kind of playoff success.

Have a hard time agreeing with that, Monahan's always been pretty low key as a hockey player and I don't recall Lindholm ever being all that dirty. Tkachuk is scum though, no question. And Johnny Hockey's a bit of a whiner. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Have a hard time agreeing with that, Monahan's always been pretty low key as a hockey player and I don't recall Lindholm ever being all that dirty. Tkachuk is scum though, no question. And Johnny Hockey's a bit of a whiner. 

Monahan, Gaudreau, and Lindholm all play scared in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Monahan, Gaudreau, and Lindholm all play scared in the playoffs.

Time will tell, Sutter's won two cups with grindy LA teams and Calgary's pretty sharp defensively. They've stomped some good teams this season.

And don't get me wrong, I'm no Flames fan, but I'll acknowledge a team when they've been good and Calgary's been hot of late. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2