The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

almost no one contemplating a Miller trades factors in....

Rate this topic

grouse747

Miller is not being traded unless JR wants a rebuild.  Trading Miller will lead to others wanting out and a rebuild.

Don't think it will happen but I guess we will see.

I don't see a rebuild happening with Demko on board for the next 4.5 years.  I think they will try to win during that window.

Edited by fanfor42
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Ajax- said:

Losers?

Grow up

Hey man, I'm not the one who keeps saying that we can't win with the team we have.  You've misunderstood me.  I'm simply saying that we should try more to win with the players we have.  Now, not later.  That seems to be a very controversial opinion.  So be it, but you don't have to be insulting.  Maybe it sounds strange to think that we can actually win hockey games now if we try hard enough because it isn't what TSN is saying.  I swear that this fan base wants to lose sometimes just to be proven right that they predicted that we are going to lose.  GCG!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Miller is not being traded unless JR wants a rebuild.  Trading Miller will lead to others wanting out and a rebuild.

I don't see a rebuild happening with Demko on board for the next 4.5 years.  I think they will try to win during that window.

How far are they from contending? They are 5 points out of third place tonight, even with the change in HC and MGMT. 

2 upper tier D men? 
Can they instead of being sellers be buyers at the deadline and NOT trade Miller? 
How bout just one D Man? 

Edited by HannibalSmith

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I’d argue  that we are in the perfect spot for a actual retool.

when Jb took over we didn’t have the pieces to retool.  we didn’t have the high value assets to sell and a good young core including a vezina goaltender. 
so by moving a few high value older players we would be set up in a better position for a longer period making player like EP demko more likely to want to stay. 
not to mention getting the cap under control. 

Unlike when Jb took over we could actually turn this around quickly with picks and  nhl ready young players.

millers a great player now but he’s one player and he’s going to be to expensive, turning him into two maybe three good players (cheaper) for the next 5 years. Makes more sense for where we are. 

we should be sellers and buyers at the deadline 

just my take. 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, combover said:

I’d argue  that we are in the perfect spot for a actual retool.

when Jb took over we didn’t have the pieces to retool.  we didn’t have the high value assets to sell and a good young core including a vezina goaltender. 
so by moving a few high value older players we would be set up in a better position for a longer period making player like EP demko more likely to want to stay. 
not to mention getting the cap under control. 

Unlike when Jb took over we could actually turn this around quickly with picks and  nhl ready young players.

millers a great player now but he’s one player and he’s going to be to expensive, turning him into two maybe three good players (cheaper) for the next 5 years. Makes more sense for where we are. 

we should be sellers and buyers at the deadline 

just my take. 

Miller will be traded no doubt, Rutherford and co. are well aware we are not making the playoffs, nor we will next year(s) with this team or just small tweeks, which that team would have a rich Miller. He can get us way to many assets and with the brains and experience running the show now, it will pay huge devedence with our young core. It will hurt like hell to loose him, and who ever lands him *NYR will reap the benefits for a while. But our little pain will turn out to be a big gain. I would expect Mott to go to a contender looking for that little extra depth that cup winners need. If Halak agrees to waive, wave him by by. he will be good as gone. Cant ever recall saying I have total trust with Vancouver's management. Very pleased to say that has changed. Sharpen you pencils boys and girls and don't let this bunch, which this team can ever say had so much at one time young talent go to waist.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

In fairness, before the cap era, you could build a team way faster... depends on how big a pocket book existed for that team.

Look at the trades that were made.   Very good - some excellent ones too, traded away for futures and vets.    Owners didn't have to worry about how much they spent until salary disclosure - and even that took five years or so to amp up into a trouble spot for the league ... so we are talking maybe 5-6 years in the entire history of the NHL where money was a real problem as far as team building goes...aside from that a rebuild is a rebuild - bad teams were bad one decade, great the next just like now.     Teams built through the draft and traded vets ....  accept maybe NYR...  Don't forget a lot more teams also made the playoffs ... 16 of 21 compared to 16 of 32 is quite  a difference...

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

Miller will be traded no doubt, Rutherford and co. are well aware we are not making the playoffs, nor we will next year(s) with this team or just small tweeks, which that team would have a rich Miller. He can get us way to many assets and with the brains and experience running the show now, it will pay huge devedence with our young core. It will hurt like hell to loose him, and who ever lands him *NYR will reap the benefits for a while. But our little pain will turn out to be a big gain. I would expect Mott to go to a contender looking for that little extra depth that cup winners need. If Halak agrees to waive, wave him by by. he will be good as gone. Cant ever recall saying I have total trust with Vancouver's management. Very pleased to say that has changed. Sharpen you pencils boys and girls and don't let this bunch, which this team can ever say had so much at one time young talent go to waist.

Next year we won't have to bear the loser Green factor. He cost us a lot 3points this season. So I think we'll have a legit shot next year. 

On 2/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, nux_win said:

What I don't get is why can't he be that player for us?  Why do we have to be a doormat to help other teams win the cup?  Why can't we keep our best players to help us win games?  Yeah, cap, blah, blah, blah.  It's the same cap for everyone.  Other teams manage to not only keep their stars but constantly acquire new ones.  Why can't we keep enough quality players to start winning ourselves?  The eastern based sports media treats us as if we're just a feeder system for the more established teams but why do we fans have to buy into that narrative?  GCG!

Yea   why keep inconsistent boeser and that midget  when you can resign Miller.

He's not 40    he's still got at least 5 more years .   9 times 5 for miller and trade those other two. 

But that assumes that JTto resign with us.  He has a number of good reasons to sign with a competitive American team ( tax situation, playing in his own country, better contract because the team is not cash strapped like the Canucks, a more competitive team) You suggest that 9 x 5 would work, but he will undoubtedly earn a contract longer than five years.  Frankly, I think a contract for longer than five years would be detrimental to the club’s future.  We would be paying JT an inflated amount of money even after he had reached his “best before date”.With JT we would be competitive, but certainly not cup contenders.  We were in the same situation with Markstrom and Tanev, who we kept to remain competitive and ended up losing both assets with no return.  Perhaps if we had traded both of them for prospects who filled the team’s needs we would be in a much better position.  Let’s learn from our mistakes.  Let’s not lose JT for nothing, let’s sell when the return will be at its highest.  I am sure JR knows what Jt has in mind regarding resigning.  If he thinks he will sign for a reasonable term and cost, he will choose not to trade him.  But if he feels JT has plans to go elsewhere when his current contract ends, he will make every effort to move him for the best possible return.