The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Excited, NOT Stressed.

Rate this topic

MJDDawg

• MJDDawg changed the title to Excited, NOT Stressed.

We all miss playoff hockey for sure.  But I'm also done with the one and done every few years. 

So I'm OK with short term pain over the next couple seasons. Now is the time to start maximizing the value of assets so we can get back to the playoffs regularly. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It's nice when adults are in charge, eh?

Been a while.

e/ That said, we'll see what the first trade looks like... my hand is not hovering too far away from my pitchfork holster.

Would expect nothing less.   So wonder what we can all b!tch about this off season?   Meh.   Until this management does something i'm not going to wonder or worry about it too much. Grow Do Something GIF by AionCommunity

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

It's about time really. Building from the top down.  Really liked the management hires, but I'm also impatient and want to see improvements with the roster. This is the same team they had with Benning and Green.  Sure, they're having better results since the coaching changes, but they still can't string 2-3 wins together (not since that first streak when Bruce was hired). Things have settled down now and they're still giving up too many shots. 

Is it going to take Pettersson half a season every year before he feels like himself?  Canucks need him to be good from Game 1.

The D still needs help,  but I guess until they're eliminated from the playoffs, they'll assume they're good enough.

Looking forward to the Trade deadline. 

I like what JR said about not being in any rush to make changes. Other GMs realize they'll have to up the offer if they want Miller.

Excited about the future, but I'm still watching the team from the past.

I think JR has wavered just a little from his very first comments, where he said we are too slow................

To para-phrase a little, I think he said something to the effect that "It did not have to be the stars that get moved" to make the necessary moves

I am not sure that is wavering, but to me it had a different tone to it.

I would not be surprised  to see Hoglander being the high profile player moved for us...........I think it will be decided after JR has had a chance to talk to Boeser's, Miller's, and Motte's agents and has a chance to see if they fit in to the Cap.

Hoglander, just seems to be the man out with BB. I see him being in the same category as Kasperi Kapanen, where he has talent, but is expendable. I could be wrong!

A trade of Miller or Boeser is possible, but I think a trade of either will have to be a pretty damn good offer to have JR pull the trigger, especially with Miller..............

I see the possibility of trades happening in this order.............

#1. Hoglander

#2. Halak

#3. Motte

#4. Boeser

$5. Miller

Again, with the last 2 having to be Knock your socks off trade offers, not just for the sake of making a trade......

Maybe Poolman or Dickenson gets moved, but I do not see that being of any great return..............more a cap out type of thing

Chaisson, for some darn reason is a BB type guy????? I hate him, but I guess every person has his whipping boy! Dickenson and Chaisson are mine!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

It's amazing how having confidence in our new management team has reduced my trade deadline stress. I haven't felt this calm in the leadup to a trade deadline in I don't know how long.

Maybe ever.

I'm genuinely excited about what's to come.

Listening to Rutherford from day 1 the message has been pretty consistent about his plan moving this team forward. It's not about having to win a trade today to save his job, or trying to make the playoffs to get a couple of home dates in another one and done playoff performance.  It's about building this team to become a consistent contender year after year. Finally. The message has been the same...to build up teams' speed, skill and depth. Develop and trade for tradeable assets so they can make some noise at the poker table year after year. 

Instead of years of re-signing players like Miller, Boeser, Motte, Horvat (for example) until they have much less value at the end of those contracts, my gut tells me we'll see these types of players moved at the deadline to maximize return.  A  big deal or two won't help us short term but I'm good with it because of the long term plan. Asset management has always been a problem here and I think most of my stress has always been due to my lack of confidence in the people running the team.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens over the next 2 - 3 weeks. The Toffoli trades sets an initial bar.  Let's strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride.

My body is ready. 

Same dawg, same. Really excited about this management group and ready to just see what happens.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I just miss playoff hockey so much. 4-3-3 last 10 games. We obviously wont make it playing .500 hockey. Need a few good winning streaks. Go Nucks  

Considering how many key players we were missing through the last 10 games, I’m pretty optimistic that we can make the playoffs. I think Anaheim and Los Angeles are going to slide in last part of the season.

Don’t be surprised if we go on another tear in the next 10 or so games.

We’re 2 and 1 in our last 3, and that was without Hughes!

• Cheers 1

My guess is Allvin will wait until the TDL, play the patience game. But I also expect there to be a flurry of activity for the Canucks at this time. Team like NYR, FLA, CAR and BOS will be wanting to shore up their rosters for a deep run.

I see Vegas has caught on to the Lightning's plan - How to Cheat your way to a Cup, with sitting Stone for the rest of the year. Eichel joins them as well.

so yeah, Canucks eh?  Maybe Dickinson will start scoring :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think JR has wavered just a little from his very first comments, where he said we are too slow................

To para-phrase a little, I think he said something to the effect that "It did not have to be the stars that get moved" to make the necessary moves

I would not be surprised  to see Hoglander being the high profile player moved for us...........I think it will be decided after JR has had a chance to talk to Boeser's, Miller's, and Motte's agents and has a chance to see if they fit in to the Cap.

Hoglander, just seems to be the man out with BB. I see him being in the same category as Kasperi Kapanen, where he has talent, but is expendable. I could be wrong!

A trade of Miller or Boeser is possible, but I think a trade of either will have to be a pretty damn good offer to have JR pull the trigger, especially with Miller..............

#1. Hoglander

#2. Halak

#3. Motte

#4. Boeser

$5. Miller

Again, with the last 2 having to be Knock your socks off trade offers, not just for the sake of making a trade......

Maybe Poolman or Dickenson gets moved, but I do not see that being of any great return..............more a cap out type of thing

Chaisson, for some darn reason is a BB type guy????? I hate him, but I guess every person has his whipping boy! Dickenson and Chaisson are mine!

Guess you can add Hunt to that group. 

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

#1. Hoglander

#2. Halak

#3. Motte

#4. Boeser

$5. Miller

Pretty sure trading Hogs would be a mistake. He's an ELC player who had a great rookie season and a not so great sophomore season, so trading him now would be selling low.

It's also quite likely he bounces back next season meaning he'll likely be on an affordable deal as an elite middle six winger in his prime. So the potential loss if trading him now is huge while the risk in keeping him is pretty much zero even if he doesn't bounce back.

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Considering how many key players we were missing through the last 10 games, I’m pretty optimistic that we can make the playoffs. I think Anaheim and Los Angeles are going to slide in last part of the season.

Don’t be surprised if we go on another tear in the next 10 or so games.

We’re 2 and 1 in our last 3, and that was without Hughes!

We need roughly 49 points out of the 66 available to us which is 75% of the points, I'm pretty sure we can give that dream up, now.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, thrago said:

We need roughly 49 points out of the 66 available to us which is 75% of the points, I'm pretty sure we can give that dream up, now.

Well maybe.   But it isn't over until it's over.   This season is a lot like a ton of other Canucks seasons of the past.   Including the one before the bubble.   Guess we will find out won't we?! 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Well maybe.   But it isn't over until it's over.   This season is a lot like a ton of other Canucks seasons of the past.   Including the one before the bubble.   Guess we will find out won't we?! 

Oh for sure there is still hope but a month ago we needed to go at a 700 pace and that was unlikely now its almost 750 so things haven't improved for use and we have less games to make up the difference.  If we get 3-4 more loses by TDL we are all but mathematically out.  We need a 5-6 game winning streak real quick to keep any hope alive really.

Benning had ample time to do things his way and although no one could have predicted the impact COVID would have on the team/league, it was still his job as GM to handle it.  

The new hires seem like good, smart people.  It’ll be interesting to see how they mold this roster/direct the organization. So far, its been all talk though so I wait. 

31 minutes ago, thrago said:

Oh for sure there is still hope but a month ago we needed to go at a 700 pace and that was unlikely now its almost 750 so things haven't improved for use and we have less games to make up the difference.  If we get 3-4 more loses by TDL we are all but mathematically out.  We need a 5-6 game winning streak real quick to keep any hope alive really.

Think that .666 is the math we need ... if you want to do it.   That would get us into the .92-93 point range 

34 minutes ago, thrago said:

Also just to be clear - a trade now to help us get there would be a JB move and would be shocked to see that happen.   Instead i'm expecting some key players out.   JR Allvin era will want to put their stamp on the franchise, just like JB did with his signings and Kesler when he came here. 

• Cheers 1

I would like to see them get moving on the rework myself.  Lots of rumors and more teams are in the running now than will be in a few weeks.  Also several layers of moves we need to do and anxiety but some of us that we will kove the right direction