The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins article on potential JT Miller cost

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

True, but the reports are they have tabled an underwhelming offer, so I'm not so sure they are terribly interested in selling their cupboard for Miller. NY is still young, so I'll be very surprised to see them part with Schneider, Laf, or Kakko, as we all hope they will. 

Sure, but who wrote that report, the GM, and what is the offer, who is it underwhelming to? I'm not trying to argue but if you watch hockey every year surely you have seen that teams don't share their plans openly and teams real intentions are usually shown closer to the deadline itself. Just about every year you see teams come out of left field. I personally am not reading much into that report currently. At the very least it's simply a starting point.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

Really don't like that CGY took a bunch of Canucks players and are now prepped to make a deep run. They've got great goaltending, so you never know.

So, maybe the Canucks should throw a wrench into the Flames plans, by trading Miller (50%) and Garland to EDM for Draisaitl. Those two teams can beat up on each other for the next couple of years - neither will win the Cup anyway, and then it'll be VAN's turn.

Pettersson - Draisaitl - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

ahh dreamin'

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sure, but who wrote that report, the GM, and what is the offer, who is it underwhelming to? I'm not trying to argue but if you watch hockey every year surely you have seen that teams don't share their plans openly and teams real intentions are usually shown closer to the deadline itself. Just about every year you see teams come out of left field. I personally am not reading much into that report currently. At he very least it's simply a starting point.

I get all that; the reports are from beat writers and hearsay, but there's a chance it's management teams posturing.

Aside from that, I'll use Calgary to better clarify my point: they traded for Tofu now because they're in it to make a real splash this year, and their team is at the point where they kind of have to. They're not rebuilding, haven't been rebuilding, haven't been doing well for a while now, and they believe their time is now. NY has just recently gone through a great rebuild and are still young and therefore not ostensibly in the same feeling of rush to win this year; hence, why I don't think they're going to trade the pieces it will take to get Miller. Maybe they will and we get Schneider and Laf, or Schneider, Chytil, and a 1st, but I'm not so hopeful. I could see Boston feeling more of a sense of urgency, but I'm not so sure they have the pieces we want to make the trade happen. 

• Cheers 1

Been reading a lot of pages about the trading of Miller and two things springs to mind..

Firstly,... a lot of the rumours about what teams thinks Miller is worth, is a bit of a fools game (likely by fans website or local paper hacks supporting those teams). 
Nobody goes in at this time a throws a mega offer on the table, before they know if its worth it. 
Would teams love Miller in their line up sure, but unless they know for sure there's a reason to blow the bank, they are hardly likely to do so....

Secondly... If the picture was turned around, would we have been willing to give up a recently drafted 1OA or 2OA + a highly sort after prospect + a1st rounder etc for a player, who would be a UFA in 15 months?

Point being, maybe temper the expectations of what we can, will or will not be getting back for Miller. 
Mean time if we don't get, what we want, he remains a Canuck, so no harm done. Some of these trade proposals given by Rangers and Bruins won't be much worse next year at the D/L... although we may not be in a position that allows us to trade him then. 

Anyway just my 2 cents...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I get all that; the reports are from beat writers and hearsay, but there's a chance it's management teams posturing.

Aside from that, I'll use Calgary to better clarify my point: they traded for Tofu now because they're in it to make a real splash this year, and their team is at the point where they kind of have to. They're not rebuilding, haven't been rebuilding, haven't been doing well for a while now, and they believe their time is now. NY has just recently gone through a great rebuild and are still young and therefore not ostensibly in the same feeling of rush to win this year; hence, why I don't think they're going to trade the pieces it will take to get Miller. Maybe they will and we get Schneider and Laf, or Schneider, Chytil, and a 1st, but I'm not so hopeful. I could see Boston feeling more of a sense of urgency, but I'm not so sure they have the pieces we want to make the trade happen. 

This is a good point.  A GM's perspective on how 'desperate' they are to win will definitely play a significant factor in what any offer for a player like Miller could consist of.  CGY is a cap team (believe it or not) and they will have some serious contracts to deliberate on this summer (Mange/Tkak - RFA, Gaudreau - UFA, 3 of their top 6 defence UFA, etc....).  That's why they're likely 'all in' (or as in as they can be with the cap) this time around (their draft this year is going to be a joke, you should look it up if you enjoy other people's misery lol).  Boston's window has been steadily closing since forever it seems, but realistically, their GM/owner/fanbase knows that eventually Bergeron/Rat Boy will steadily decline.  They're a cap team as well with not much in the prospect pool really but they have a lot of draft capital actually.  NYR is the interesting one, they're 'window' some say is just opening, they have a lot of young talent already playing important minutes on the team, and they have a great combination of reasonable prospects, cap space, and draft capital to work with. 

Of the three I'd say CYG is desperate to win now as evidenced by the Toffy trade, as it will be a steady decline in the standings after this season.

Boston is desperate but has little to offer a club like Van other than future draft picks (which may be worth something if their club regresses as much as we hope they will).

NYR are not desperate to win now, have both cap space and draft capital to work with and have young valuable pieces.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Ahhh, yes I see way better now what you're saying. Well said. Agreed Calgary is at a more sensible/desperate time to be making a push. You are correct in that, however NY is a real good team with great young pieces. Depends if they feel close enough this year and next. While they do have the time to wait it also depends how long they want to wait. There is a thing about waiting too long. They could wait, lose Strome, and have nothing left at center. It really depends how close management thinks they are, and what they're missing. Apparently that is a tough veteran who can play physical, center/wing, top 6, score, and be a leader. Guys like Miller do not become available often.

As for Boston they could really use him I agree, he especially fits long term with both Krejci, and Bergeron on their last legs. Personally I think we'll see this think really heat up in the coming weeks, if not sooner.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

As for Boston they could really use him I agree, he especially fits long term with both Krejci, and Bergeron on their last legs. Personally I think we'll see this think really heat up in the coming weeks, if not sooner.

Krejci is long gone already.......to Czech....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

Hockey writers all seem to agree: Vancouver is nothing more than a farm system for "successful" teams.  I question the assumption that Miller needs to be traded at all.  I think that we should start trying to win some games ourselves.  Now.  I know this is an unpopular opinion but so be it.  GCG!

All we need is

EVLUTION NUTRITION FocusMode | Gluten Free | Vegan | Vegetarian | 30 Veggie Caps      wk1 research | huachenwinnie    

Equals Png - Equals Sign Clipart (#229941) - PikPng   image.jpeg.02a9b6b30eac9fea523fb1dcf82cc438.jpeg

:bigblush:

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much.

That’s why some of these trade proposals from other teams fans are ridiculous. Why would we trade him for anything less than a huge haul?

Fair value can be had at any point. Even up until next years trade deadline.

This is the type of deal fans of other teams would be sh!tting all over until he actually plays on their team and then they're jumping out of their seats yelling Miller Time at the top of their lungs screaming I LOVE THIS FREAKING TRADE!. Most people simply don't know just how good this guy is!

Just now, Screw said:

Boston has nothing that they could offer for Miller that would compensate his value without gutting them.

Carlo and a first would be a fair trade.  As we don't need to trade anyone, and they might want one last push before they need to consider a rebuild ... they are where SJ was before Pavelski left in their cycle.    Doubt they do that but it's worth a conversation. 

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's weird being on the other side of this for once and seeing all of these softbrains from other markets try and justify why we should be perfectly happy accepting junk for one of the best forwards in the division.

Because everyone thinks Vancouver is dumb. LOL 

Hey everyone. Don’t forget. We fired Benning and Weisbrod. We don’t have stupid management anymore. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Carlo and a first would be a fair trade.  As we don't need to trade anyone, and they might want one last push before they need to consider a rebuild ... they are where SJ was before Pavelski left in their cycle.    Doubt they do that but it's worth a conversation. 

I think losing Carlo would be too big of a blow to their defence core in Boston

Edited by Screw