The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Allvin on Canucks Hour

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

Sounds like he's still settling in, which is to be expected. Taking time to make deliberate moves will probably benefit the team, especially with the deadline on the horizon. 

Sounds like he's high on the folks running Abbotsford, hopefully he's able to help them develop more NHL caliber players for us. That's been an issue since acquiring a team and having it in Utica, we haven't had many players come through the pipeline. Our top prospects skipped over the AHL entirely. If this team wants to have sustained success it'll need Abbotsford to develop internal options who can step into roster spots and be cost effective. That's the reality of competing under a salary cap, the best teams find ways to integrate their own prospects. 

I like what I'm hearing about management as a whole, it being an open and collaborative group likely makes for better decisions. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I hear your chances of success increases once you have a Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Kris Letang trio in your core.  The other guys just kinda fall into place after that.

The "other" guys do not simply fall into place. The last 8 years of our organization and many other organizations around the league that struggle with depth should be an easy example of that.

Pittsburgh was and is one of the best organizations at finding unknown talent and developing them into key contributors throughout the line up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The "other" guys do not simply fall into place. The last 8 years of our organization and many other organizations around the league that struggle with depth should be an easy example of that.

Pittsburgh was and is one of the best organizations at finding unknown talent and developing them into key contributors throughout the line up.

If you don't think having Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin down the middle helps with developing players, then I don't know what to say to ya.  

Pittsburgh develops fantastic wingers.  I wonder why? Hmmmm....

• Upvote 2

I remember having a debate with someone who thought Allvin was there to be a "yes man" kind of person for JR. I'm glad what I thought in terms of that not being the case seems to be holding true so far as that was something I didn't want to be wrong on.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If you don't think having Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin down the middle helps with developing players, then I don't know what to say to ya.  

There's a difference though between those 2 players helping and having actual talent to help them out as well. Not every winger is going to pan out no matter who you have as your center. Do you truly think it's ONLY Crosby and Malkin as to why those wingers play well? Like are you just falling on absolutes here? Can it not be a combination of factors and not just Crosby and Malkin?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, The Lock said:

There's a difference though between those 2 players helping and having actual talent to help them out as well. Not every winger is going to pan out no matter who you have as your center. Do you truly think it's ONLY Crosby and Malkin as to why those wingers play well? Like are you just falling on absolutes here? Can it not be a combination of factors and not just Crosby and Malkin?

I think Crosby and Malkin bring out the best in their wingers.  You seriously think Boeser would be the same player with Crosby as he would be with Nico Hischer?

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Crosby and Malkin bring out the best in their wingers.  You seriously think Boeser would be the same player with Crosby as he would be with Nico Hischer?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there are also other important factors outside of Crosby and Malkin. Them alone are not enough to win multiple cups nor them alone are enough to make an entire line "cup-winning". It also takes talent with the wingers.

You bringing up Boeser has nothing to do with this and is just trying to put words in my mouth.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

They're developing players to reach their potential, not padding their stats by putting them with a superstar.

The reason Pittsburgh was successful during the stretch without Crosby and Malkin this year was because of those players.

• Cheers 2

Just now, MrCanuck94 said:

They're developing players to reach their potential, not padding their stats by putting them with a superstar.

The reason Pittsburgh was successful during the stretch without Crosby and Malkin this year was because of those players.

Developing players is putting them in situations where they can best succeed.  If a prospect has the talent, playing him next to Crosby or Malkin will likely help to realize that potential.  Playing him next to Pavel Zacha would make it a helluva more difficult journey.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there are also other important factors outside of Crosby and Malkin. Them alone are not enough to win multiple cups nor them alone are enough to make an entire line "cup-winning". It also takes talent with the wingers.

You bringing up Boeser has nothing to do with this and is just trying to put words in my mouth.

I think we're talking about different things.  I'm talking about player development.   I think you're talking about building a team.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Developing players is putting them in situations where they can best succeed.  If a prospect has the talent, playing him next to Crosby or Malkin will likely help to realize that potential.  Playing him next to Pavel Zacha would make it a helluva more difficult journey.

If you develop a player properly in the AHL and they become NHL ready, they'll make an impact regardless of which roster they play on. Putting players in a position to succeed once they are NHL ready is a different conversation.

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think we're talking about different things.  I'm talking about player development.   I think you're talking about building a team.

They both go hand in hand. I'm talking about player development as much as I am talking about team building.

Crosby and Malkin help, but they're not the only factors in player development. There's the player development staff, the coaching staff, other players on the team, a player's commitment... I could literally go on and on. The way you're talking, it sounds like you think it's only (and literally ONLY) Crosby and Malkin that makes an impact on the wingers.