The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Allvin on Canucks Hour

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I guess I should have included Fleury as well.  Really, the core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury could have won cups with almost any supporting cast.

The 2011 and 2012 Penguins won a $&!# ton of games without Crosby/Malkin in their lineup.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

This is like saying the Oilers should have had Cups already thanks to McDavid and Drai. 

Pure generational talent can only take you so far these days. 

I'm going to go ahead and venture a guess that 3% state tax in Pennsylvania versus 15% in Alberta (plus the lower federal tax in the US versus Canada) has something to do with signing high talent and staying under the cap.

I just heard him speak for the 1st time just now

Pleasantly surprised to hear a articulate GM SPEAK "You Know"

Allvin being a former scout has already laid out that like other TOP GM's have stated all along, that you hire the right scouts and trust in their judgement, He made that clear

I never understood why some wanted to keep a GM for who the team drafted and thought is was one and then on a whiff would say ownership wanted that

Yet our ownership always  stated the GM has always had his way and supports them

We have a proper professional management who will share ideas and not take credit for things done as a team and hopefully the on ice product will be as strong

I feel good from what i hear with this management team and that they feel it was wrongly constructed as i did and look forward to what they can do

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The "other" guys do not simply fall into place. The last 8 years of our organization and many other organizations around the league that struggle with depth should be an easy example of that.

Pittsburgh was and is one of the best organizations at finding unknown talent and developing them into key contributors throughout the line up.

Roussel was great for the team until he had two knee injuries. He was a big reason the Canucks came back against Vegas. He had the players chasing him.

Beagle and Sutter were very good for the team. Look at our F/O and PK after they departed. The biggest complaint was they didn't score and their contract. Again, in the bubble they stepped up and scored and did a great job.

Do not confuse what Benning built with what Green was as a coach.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I just heard him speak for the 1st time just now

Pleasantly surprised to hear a articulate GM SPEAK "You Know"

Allvin being a former scout has already laid out that like other TOP GM's have stated all along, that you hire the right scouts and trust in their judgement, He made that clear

I never understood why some wanted to keep a GM for who the team drafted and thought is was one and then on a whiff would say ownership wanted that

Yet our ownership always  stated the GM has always had his way and supports them

We have a proper professional management who will share ideas and not take credit for things done as a team and hopefully the on ice product will be as strong

I feel good from what i hear with this management team and that they feel it was wrongly constructed as i did and look forward to what they can do

Probably more and more will catch up to what I’ve been preaching for a few years.

Drafting is a team effort. Not anything the GM does on his own.

Allvin maybe can put the old gruff about Gillis and Benning to rest so We don’t have to see endless threads of who drafted best as if that is the one and only work a GM does.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Probably more and more will catch up to what I’ve been preaching for a few years.

Drafting is a team effort. Not anything the GM does on his own.

Allvin maybe can put the old gruff about Gillis and Benning to rest so We don’t have to see endless threads of who drafted best as if that is the one and only work a GM does.

Literally no one has said the gm does the drafting on their own. Benning’s regime drafted better than Gillis’ period that is a fact.

But the rest of their tenure’s aren’t an apples to apples comparison as Gillis oversaw a contending team, and Benning oversaw a rebuild. They both had their strengths weaknesses and down falls. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Literally no one has said the gm does the drafting on their own. Benning’s regime drafted better than Gillis’ period that is a fact.

But the rest of their tenure’s aren’t an apples to apples comparison as Gillis oversaw a contending team, and Benning oversaw a rebuild. They both had their strengths weaknesses and down falls. 

Hehe, the endless posting about Bennings drafting while the Team cracks and falls apart is pathetic.

Now when we have a real management team we all should look forward and enjoy the ride.

Some positive feelings is nice instead of what has been.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The "other" guys do not simply fall into place. The last 8 years of our organization and many other organizations around the league that struggle with depth should be an easy example of that.

Pittsburgh was and is one of the best organizations at finding unknown talent and developing them into key contributors throughout the line up.

It sure helps to develop when the guy feeding you pucks is Sidney Crosby. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's nice.  If they won a cup without Crosby and Malkin, lemme know.

Yes they won a couple of Cups without Crosby and Malkin.  You do remember the Mario and Jagr days right?  

Teams can't win a Cup without superstars on their team.  However, they also can't win a Cup without the supporting cast either.  Edmonton is a perfect example of that.  They have their own version of Mario/Jagr and Crosby/Malkin, but they don't have the elite goaltending or defence to go very far in the playoffs.  

The 1994 Canucks were missing an elite centre to play with Bure.  If Pat Quinn had allowed Larionov to stay they would have won a Cup.  Same with the 2011 Canucks.  They were missing more of the role players in the bottom six and on defence.  So different circumstances for each team.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I feel good too based on what I hear from this management but the proof will be once we see some moves/signings/drafting.  

This management team hasn't said that this team was wrongly constructed.  I've heard them say that they would like to be faster, is that what you mean?  

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes they won a couple of Cups without Crosby and Malkin.  You do remember the Mario and Jagr days right?  

Teams can't win a Cup without superstars on their team.  However, they also can't win a Cup without the supporting cast either.  Edmonton is a perfect example of that.  They have their own version of Mario/Jagr and Crosby/Malkin, but they don't have the elite goaltending or defence to go very far in the playoffs.  

The 1994 Canucks were missing an elite centre to play with Bure.  If Pat Quinn had allowed Larionov to stay they would have won a Cup.  Same with the 2011 Canucks.  They were missing more of the role players in the bottom six and on defence.  So different circumstances for each team.

I will never not post this clip (pardon the double negative) whenever this conversation comes up :) 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I will never not post this clip (pardon the double negative) whenever this conversation comes up :) 

Burke is correct for the most part.  However, if you ask an Edmonton fan how they feel about that statement they would say, "yeah we won the lottery as well and got McDavid, so what?"

Crosby doesn't win a Cup unless he has his sidekick with him, Malkin.  Same with Mario, same with Gretzky, etc.  Also, those Cup winning teams all had elite goaltending.  I don't think Pittsburgh wins those last two Cups without Kessel, he was pretty important during those 2 Cup runs.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Could we see our first lotto win under this regime? All I know is I’ll be happy to not see Benning’s smug face up on stage. Next year is the big winner of the Bedard sweepstakes and I see us being less competitive than this year if we go the Miller route and trade him for picks and prospects. Fingers are crossed.

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

I remember having a debate with someone who thought Allvin was there to be a "yes man" kind of person for JR. I'm glad what I thought in terms of that not being the case seems to be holding true so far as that was something I didn't want to be wrong on.

It good to hear that JR already installed that he wants PA to think for himself and make decisions... if he didn't then JR would still be the GM.. once JR steps back PA needs to be able to stand on his own legs. 
Also like the emphasys on the group being part of the decisions. Need to trust the input from the folks around you, even though you may not agree... In the end PA makes the final call, and the buck stops with him. 
It will be an interesting process to get through, but don't expect much for the next few years tbh. 
Good luck Patrick, won't be long before the knives gets sharpened...

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We should follow what Detroit does. Detroit isn't afraid to let guys play in the AHL for 2 or so years before bringing them up to the big show. Even Rasmussen played part of 3 seasons in the AHL. And he's a 9th overall pick .

Would have been fab if Jake could have been sent to the AHL before being promoted to the big team. Frustrating that he because of age couldn't play there...

It could even perhaps have saved Jake from Jake... as it turned out, he was not mentally ready for the big show. What a waste...

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Roussel was great for the team until he had two knee injuries. He was a big reason the Canucks came back against Vegas. He had the players chasing him.

Beagle and Sutter were very good for the team. Look at our F/O and PK after they departed. The biggest complaint was they didn't score and their contract. Again, in the bubble they stepped up and scored and did a great job.

Do not confuse what Benning built with what Green was as a coach.

They weren't developed internally.

Also, they were overpriced bottom 6 free agent signings that did not bring the value they were paid to the ice. Roussel may be the exception pre-injury.

16 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

They weren't developed internally.

Also, they were overpriced bottom 6 free agent signings that did not bring the value they were paid to the ice. Roussel may be the exception pre-injury.

Developed internally. I know that. The conversation was about getting bottom players to play a role.

They were overpriced because we were losers. Every bottom pays more to get players to come to their organization unless they are struggling to stay in the league. 

Look at our FO and PK without them and you still say they were overpriced. You have no sense.

• Cheers 1