The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada’s Women National Football Team (Soccer)

StanleyCupOneDay

First matches of the year on the road to CONCACAF and World Cup qualifying.

The inaugural Arnold Clark Cup starts today with Canada, Germany, Spain and England national teams facing off once each.

Christine Sinclair is out for Canada due to the unfortunate recent passing of her mother. Jessie Fleming is now the captain of this team.

Not sure why TSN has decided to have each game on different channels including replays.

Today:

TSN5 6:20am PST/9:20am EST Germany vs Spain

TSN1 9am PST/12pm EST Replay Germany vs Spain

TSN1/TSN4/TSN5 11:00am PST/2pm EST pregame show

TSN1/TSN4/TSN5 11:30am PST/2:30pm EST England vs Canada

TSN2 6:30pm PST/9:30pm EST Replay England vs Canada

Feb. 20th

TSN1/TSN4 7am PST/10am EST England vs Spain

TSN4 10am PST/1pm EST Replay England vs Spain

TSN4 12pm PST/3pm EST pregame

TSN4 12:15pm PST/3:15pm EST Canada vs Germany

TSN1/TSN4/TSN5 5pm PST/8pm EST Replay Canada vs Germany

Feb. 23rd

TSN1/TSN4 6am PST/9am EST pregame show

TSN1/TSN4 6:30am PST/9:30am EST Spain vs Canada

TSN4 9:20am PST/12:20 pm EST Replay Spain vs Canada

TSN1/TSN4 11:20am PST/2:20pm EST England vs Germany

Coach Bev Priestman will continue after she helped Team Canada win Gold in Tokyo last summer (the first ever major world tournament win in Canadian history for men or women soccer).

Meet the team!

CANADA
GK- Sabrina D’Angelo | SWE / Vittsjö GIK
GK- Devon Kerr | USA / Washington Spirit
GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Orlando Pride
GK- Kailen Sheridan | USA / San Diego Wave FC
CB- Kadeisha Buchanan | FRA / FCF Olympique Lyonnais
CB- Vanessa Gilles | USA / Angel City FC
CB- Shelina Zadorsky | ENG / Tottenham Hotspur
FB- Gabrielle Carle | SWE / Kristianstads DFF
FB- Allysha Chapman | USA / Houston Dash
FB- Jayde Riviere | USA / University of Michigan
FB- Sura Yekka | FRA / Havre AC
M- Marie-Yasmine Alidou D’Anjou | AUT / SK Sturm Graz
M- Jessie Fleming | ENG / Chelsea FC
M- Julia Grosso | ITA / Juventus FC
M- Ashley Lawrence | FRA / Paris Saint-Germain FC
M- Victoria Pickett | USA / Kansas City Current
M- Quinn  | USA / OL Reign
M- Sophie Schmidt | USA / Houston Dash
M- Desiree Scott | USA / Kansas City Current
F- Janine Beckie | ENG / Manchester City FC
F- Tanya Boychuk | USA / University of Memphis
F- Jordyn Huitema | FRA / Paris Saint-Germain FC
F- Cloé Lacasse | POR / SL Benfica
F- Nichelle Prince | USA / Houston Dash
F- Deanne Rose | ENG / Reading FC

:gocan:

GO CANADA GO!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

As disappointing as it is to see Sinclair out, I think the torch had already been passed. Beckie is probably the team's #9 and Huitema looks to be the striker of the future.

Fleming is an excellent choice for the captain as well. I still want to see Sinclair surpass the 200 goal mark, but I think it will likely be in a supporting role.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As disappointing as it is to see Sinclair out, I think the torch had already been passed. Beckie is probably the team's #9 and Huitema looks to be the striker of the future.

Fleming is an excellent choice for the captain as well. I still want to see Sinclair surpass the 200 goal mark, but I think it will likely be in a supporting role.

Definitely no complaints from me with choosing Fleming as captain. I agree that the roles are going to start to reverse in future games with the team carrying the load so Sinclair can get her big time game busting goals. It reminds me a bit of Atiba Hutchison’s situation with the men’s team. For so long being the only Canadian of note to play soccer and carrying the country on his back.

It’s a new generation taking over on both sides and they’re stronger, faster, tougher and smarter then all of the previous generations to play. Exciting times in Canada Soccer.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Once again Soccer Canada is screwing over the national Team...this time the Women's team who are supposed to be training for the upcoming SheBelieves Cup, seen as a tune up for this summer's Women's World Cup:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadian-womens-national-team-players-demand-change-at-canada-soccer/

The ongoing labour dispute between Canada Soccer and its men's and women's teams boiled over Friday with threats of job action from the women and a call for Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge to step in from the men.

"Enough is enough," women's captain Christine Sinclair said in a social media post.

Sinclair said the women, currently in Orlando, Fla., preparing for the SheBelieves Cup, will not train or play.

"As a team, we've decided to take job action and from this moment on we'll not be participating in any Canadian Soccer Association activities until this is resolved,'' she told TSN. "Whether that's training, whether that's games.''

"Until this is resolved, I can't represent this federation,'' added Sinclair, the world's all-time leading goal-scorer who has won 319 caps for Canada.

The two teams laid out a list of grievances in separate open letters posted on social media — and reposted by players from both squads.

The women's squad said it is "outraged and deeply concerned with the news of significant cuts" to national team programs as it prepares for this summer's World Cup.

"With the biggest tournament in women's football history less than six months away, our preparation for the World Cup and the future success of the women's national team's program are being compromised by Canada Soccer's continued inability to support its national teams," the women said.

"Despite our strong track record of success and history-making achievements for more than a decade, we continue to be told there is not enough money to adequately fund our program and our youth teams."

In an interview on Sportsnet today, Sinclair said that they had sent a letter outlining their concerns to Soccer Canada, but hadn't even gotten a response....<_<

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Seen a lot of interviews with the Canadian players going into this tournament. Many of them making comments of feeling slighted and disrespected. Hopefully they can bring their anger and frustration to the field in the form of extreme focus.  They are missing some key pieces, but I believe they still have a very good chance to make the finals. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought she was retired. Nice to see her in a Subway commercial though. Great ambassador for the sport and country.

• Thanks 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/womens-world-cup/article/womens-world-cup-day-1-co-hosts-thrill-crowds-with-big-opening-wins/

Women’s World Cup Day 1: Co-hosts thrill crowds with big opening wins

Australias-Steph-Catley-1-1040x572.jpg

Australia's Steph Catley, center, celebrates after scoring the opening goal during the Women's World Cup soccer match between Australia and Ireland at Stadium Australia in Sydney, Australia, Thursday, July 20, 2023. (Rick Rycroft/AP)

hayley-mcgoldrick headshotHayley McGoldrick@GoldieOnSportsJuly 20, 2023, 10:30 AM

The FIFA Women's World Cup finally kicked off with action between New Zealand and Norway and Australia and the Republic of Ireland on Thursday.

With both of the host teams securing wins in front of record-breaking crowds, the competition is expected to only keep heating up from here on out.

The Results

New Zealand 1 - 0 Norway
Australia 1-0 Republic of Ireland

Main Talking Points

New Zealand welcomes home crowd with win

The Football Ferns couldn't have asked for a better start to the tournament as they defeated Norway 1-0 in front of over 42,000 supporters at Eden Park in Auckland.

Hannah Wilkinson was the first scorer of the tournament, finding the back of the net shortly after the second half of action began to secure what would end up as the game-winner. Teammate Ria Percival was unable to convert from the penalty spot late to double New Zealand's lead.

Norway could arguably be New Zealand's toughest opponent in Group A, which also features the Philippines and Switzerland. The win was New Zealand's first-ever victory at the Women's World Cup, after 16 tries.

Australia joins in on home crowd fun

New Zealand wouldn't be the only team to win in front of their home crowd as three hours later Australia kicked off and did the same thing.

The Matildas were without Sam Kerr after she was sidelined due to a calf injury, and the team looked shaky to begin the game as even at their best on the counter-attack the tough Irish defence was able to absorb their attempts and keep the game scoreless at the half.

But a penalty was awarded to Australia after Aussie winger Hayley Raso was taken down by Irish midfielder Marissa Sheva. Skipper Steph Catley stepped up to the spot, and with ease put the ball past goalkeeper Courtney Brosnan for the only goal of a tense match.

Goal of the Day

Hannah Wilkinson's goal not only was the first goal of the Women's World Cup and secured a win for the host nation, but also marked her in history for another reason as she became New Zealand's all-time leading goal scorer.

Moment of the Day

The Matildas not only got the win in front of their home crowd, but broke a record for attendance for a women's football match in the country with over 75,000 people at the stadium to witness Catley's goal in person.

Quote of the Day

“We really wanted to inspire young girls across the nation and I think we did that tonight. We showed that anything is possible,” said New Zealand captain Ali Riley after her team's first-ever win at a Women's World Cup.

Three Stars of the Day

1. Hannah Wilkinson, New Zealand: Scoring to secure the first-ever win for New Zealand at the Women's World Cup in front of record-breaking crowds is a moment that Wilkinson will never forget.

2. Steph Catley, Australia: The Arsenal defender played all 90 minutes and scored the lone goal in her side's win over the Republic of Ireland, with the team having to regroup after learning star player Sam Kerr was unavailable for the match.

3. Rebekah Stott, New Zealand: Having to defend a six-time Champions League winner and the first woman to win the Ballon d'Or in Ada Hergerberg isn't easy, but Stott ensured that her side would be able to secure victory to open the competition and make a statement against a talented Norway team.

Looking Ahead

Continuing play for Group B, Canada will kick off their first match of the tournament against Nigeria at 10:30 p.m. ET Thursday to open the action of Matchday 2. That will be followed by more Group A action between the Philippines and Switzerland at 1 a.m. ET on Friday and the first match in Group C with Spain facing off against Costa Rica at 3:30 a.m. ET.

• Thanks 1

0-0 at the half.

Canada has a lot of the possession but aren't doing much with it.

A draw in this game isn't satisfactory.  And, even worse, this is the type of game that a team on the back foot for most of the game goes down and scores a goal and steals the game.

Need a goal, women, need a goal.  Or two.

Not a total disaster.  But still disappointing.

The problem, it seems to me (without knowing much about Women's soccer), is Australia.  While Canada is ranked 7th in the world, Australia is 10th.  With the home crowd behind them, I'm thinking it's most probably an Australia win in that game.   

So now a lot depends on how Canada and Nigeria (ranked 40th) do against Ireland (ranked 22nd).  We could end up in a tie for second place and have to depend on whatever tiebreaker they use (goal difference, I assume).

Anyways, game on!

53 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Not a total disaster.  But still disappointing.

The problem, it seems to me (without knowing much about Women's soccer), is Australia.  While Canada is ranked 7th in the world, Australia is 10th.  With the home crowd behind them, I'm thinking it's most probably an Australia win in that game.   

So now a lot depends on how Canada and Nigeria (ranked 40th) do against Ireland (ranked 22nd).  We could end up in a tie for second place and have to depend on whatever tiebreaker they use (goal difference, I assume).

Anyways, game on!

Unfortunately we play them in game 3 and Kerr is expected to return

I'll go ahead and say it....that was a bad start to the tournament and if I were Bev Priestman, I'd be very worried.

A team ranked that low in the world basically shut down Canada's offense. Other than Sinclair's penalty miss, there were very few times I thought the Canadians were going to score. As far as that goes, I think the Nigerians gave as good as they got, even though Canada clearly had the edge in possession.

We absolutely need the 3 points against Ireland, because like Bob says, Sam Kerr is expected back by the time the game against the Matildas rolls around.

Speaking of injuries, what's up with Fleming? I heard the broadcast team talking about how she wasn't available against Nigeria, but I didn't hear why, or when she might be back...:unsure:

Not sure why but it seems Canada always performs better at the Olympics and are lackluster at the World Cup.  If they don't win against Ireland they are in big trouble.  The same pattern seems to occur too often... Canada gets lots of possession but don't have the quality or tactics to break the other teams defence and rarely is a threat.

They simply don't have it when it comes to scoring goals.

• Cheers 1