The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Violent overnight attack at Coastal GasLink site leaves workers shaken, millions in damage

CBH1926

I posted this in the world events. But I think you are right for it to have it's own thread.

This is a crazy story that shows quite the escalation of pipeline conflicts.

Just wild. They blocked the road in fist to prevent the RCMP from getting there. Really coordinated. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

One part of this that really bothers me is this crap is happening against the wishes of 20 elected First Nations bands who want this project to go ahead.

https://www.coastalgaslink.com/sustainability/indigenous-relations/

Its wild huh?

Coordinated. 20 people. Very strategic ambush.

Do you think they were motivated by how the trucker protesters are being treated with kids gloves, yet pipeline protesters get heavy hands?

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Its wild huh?

Coordinated. 20 people. Very strategic ambush.

Do you think they were motivated by how the trucker protesters are being treated with kids gloves, yet pipeline protesters get heavy hands?

my money would be that they are motivated by the small but very angry hereditary chief supporter group. I guess they could be mad at what many see as light treatment of the truckers as well. 

IMO this is a huge problem for major projects now and moving ahead that involve First Nations bands. If elected band members don't represent the will of the people, I don't see how a hereditary leader does. Makes no sense to me at all,  and I can see it being very frustrating for bands that want to bring in new projects. If the gov't has to listen to both groups you can get 20 people shutting down a project that 1000s of band members across 20 groups want. That needs to be addressed.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

my money would be that they are motivated by the small but very angry hereditary chief supporter group. I guess they could be mad at what many see as light treatment of the truckers as well. 

IMO this is a huge problem for major projects now and moving ahead that involve First Nations bands. If elected band members don't represent the will of the people, I don't see how a hereditary leader does. Makes no sense to me at all,  and I can see it being very frustrating for bands that want to bring in new projects. If the gov't has to listen to both groups you can get 20 people shutting down a project that 1000s of band members across 20 groups want. That needs to be addressed.

Agreed.

I bet there is quite a few more than just 20 though. Actually there was, they blocked the road. These would have been a group of their warriors. I am stunned at how well organised it was.

RCMP said responding officers were met with a blockade of downed trees, tar-covered stumps, boards with spikes, and fires at the forestry road’s 41 km mark. As police worked their way past the debris, people threw smoke bombs and fire-lit sticks at them. One officer was injured.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I posted this in the world events. But I think you are right for it to have it's own thread.

This is a crazy story that shows quite the escalation of pipeline conflicts.

Just wild. They blocked the road in fist to prevent the RCMP from getting there. Really coordinated. 

Yeah for sure, one vehicle was set on fire while someone was inside of it.

Crazy! But you are right, it looks very planned out and coordinated.

• Cheers 1

This is beyond confusing and frustrating.

These equipment camps are heavily guarded and by armed individuals.  Have been since the threats and attempts started 2 years ago.  How a group of 20 individuals made it past security of that volume while armed and managed to spend that amount of time causing that amount of destruction is beyond me.

Image 1.  Do you know how hard it is to mess up a volvo this big?  We've seen them roll down hills and not have that level of cab damage.  Let alone have their entire engine compartments ripped out

image.thumb.png.97b677a8334049ee72b984047ed56842.png

Image 2.  How did they manage to tip over multiple excavators?  If they swarmed in and swarmed out to meet police at these road blocks they'd established as indicated how did they manage to damage these vehicles like this?

image.thumb.png.47340b861527050b04d7ba27bfd54480.png

Before anyone makes the inevitable statement.  No I do not support this.  No I do not accept this level of damage.  What the Wetsuweten people have done up until this attack caused by (who knows what group of protestors) has been entirely peaceful and respectable.

But what I want to know is how; with the security that exists that is supposed to be armed, the size of the camp and the people in it as well as the level of security with cameras.  How the hell did they manage to get in and out so fast and cause this level of damage without being challenged or seen on video so far?

Again, 100% do not accept or support this; just have questions.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

These equipment camps are heavily guarded and by armed individuals.  Have been since the threats and attempts started 2 years ago.  How a group of 20 individuals made it past security of that volume while armed and managed to spend that amount of time causing that amount of destruction is beyond me.

Image 1.  Do you know how hard it is to mess up a volvo this big?  We've seen them roll down hills and not have that level of cab damage.  Let alone have their entire engine compartments ripped out

Image 2.  How did they manage to tip over multiple excavators?  If they swarmed in and swarmed out to meet police at these road blocks they'd established as indicated how did they manage to damage these vehicles like this?

Before anyone makes the inevitable statement.  No I do not support this.  No I do not accept this level of damage.  What the Wetsuweten people have done up until this attack caused by (who knows what group of protestors) has been entirely peaceful and respectable.

But what I want to know is how; with the security that exists that is supposed to be armed, the size of the camp and the people in it as well as the level of security with cameras.  How the hell did they manage to get in and out so fast and cause this level of damage without being challenged or seen on video so far?

Axes and machetes do NOT do this kind of damage. This is a well coordinated attack, by a group of well organized terrorists. Security? now that's a good question. They were sure caught with the pants down.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I would guess they got into an excavator to do the damage.

You're right, how did they pull it off to such a high level of success?

Again, I'm stunned at the coordination.

Was it that fast? 

It would have taken the RCMP ages to clear the road block that was still 41km away. 

No help was coming. 

16 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Axes and machetes do NOT do this kind of damage. This is a well coordinated attack, by a group of well organized terrorists. Security? now that's a good question. They were sure caught with the pants down.

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would guess they got into an excavator to do the damage.

You're right, how did they pull it off to such a high level of success?

Again, I'm stunned at the coordination.

Was it that fast? 

It would have taken the RCMP ages to clear the road block that was still 41km away. 

No help was coming. 

That's just it!

This is a full work and supply camp?  It's secured?  The security is/was armed and if it's even a supply camp there's 30+ people in it.

Having lived camp life in my time I know these guys would welcome a fight of any kind and they sure as hell have meaner weapons on hand than axes and machetes.

Keys for these vehicles would be locked up if not in use which is standard practice.

There's a lot of unanswered questions here I just can't wrap my head around because the damage and time spent to cause it while evidently security and camp just sat back and watched is just not right

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's just it!

This is a full work and supply camp?  It's secured?  The security is/was armed and if it's even a supply camp there's 30+ people in it.

Having lived camp life in my time I know these guys would welcome a fight of any kind and they sure as hell have meaner weapons on hand than axes and machetes.

Keys for these vehicles would be locked up if not in use which is standard practice.

There's a lot of unanswered questions here I just can't wrap my head around because the damage and time spent to cause it while evidently security and camp just sat back and watched is just not right

But do all machines have keys?

Some have a keypad punch code start. Like the skid steer I use. 

They could be jump started too, I'm sure.

30 people isn't many if they are sleeping and unprepared. 

How many guards are usually at a camp of that size? How many work graveyard shifts?

Edit...also the workers fled, did not sit back and watch. They were overwhelmed, flare guns in your face, 20+ people going nuts with weapons, maybe machines smashing around...all as you wake up. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Agreed.

I bet there is quite a few more than just 20 though. Actually there was, they blocked the road. These would have been a group of their warriors. I am stunned at how well organised it was.

RCMP said responding officers were met with a blockade of downed trees, tar-covered stumps, boards with spikes, and fires at the forestry road’s 41 km mark. As police worked their way past the debris, people threw smoke bombs and fire-lit sticks at them. One officer was injured.

for sure it could be a lot more, I would guess there are a lot of folks who would like to come in and do this kind of damage.

Its such a shame to me what these people are doing, its just setting up many more people to fail, or lose a great opportunity, and for no good reason. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I need to know who's in charge of that group. Coastal gaslink owes my company a huge chunk of change. I could use those guys to collect for me.

Mmmm- I wonder if that Company owes a lot of money to a lot of people?

• Cheers 1

OK, so. 

My co-worker/nephew-in-law is an ex-logger and heavy equipment operator. We have a two man company building timber frame farm buildings. 

Of course he has a friend that is working up in this camp.

Here's some of the details from this buddy.

It was insane. 

They surrounded the security officers that were in their vehicles. When the officers refused to get out of the vehicles they smashed through the windows and ripped them out. They detained/ took them hostage in one of the buildings. 

They got into excavators and started destroying everything. He claimed it went on for about two hours, seemed like forever. Said the reports so far dont do the event justice, it was that intense.

Here's the interesting part to me. When I asked if it was first nations, my nephew said his buddy wasn't sure. Didn't think they were local, called them 'out of towners'.

I heard this facility is part of the most expensive project in Canada's history. LNG.

Could this be internationally backed eco terrorists? 

• Cheers 1