The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Ryan Dzingel, Ilya Lyubushkin to Maple Leafs for Nick Ritchie, conditional 2023 3rd-round pick

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i am confused by the coyotes.. so they traded away dzingel and lyubushkin for a 3rd rounder?? if they wanted ritchie.. they coulda claimed him on waiver for free back in january

Yeah, I'm not sure why Arizona did this. Ritchie actually makes more cash than his cap hit next year ($3.3M salary, $2.5M cap). Would have expected more of a sweetener to get them to take that on.

• Upvote 1

Weird trade for Arizona - I feel  Lyubushkin could've commanded a 3rd in return on his own. Even if they thought Ritchie could be a tradeable asset next deadline when he's set to be a UFA, they could've just had him on waivers not so long ago.

Also weird that Dubas made a good trade.

Maybe something more is coming :lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Still not sure what the Coyotes really got out of this, a 3rd rounder? Potentially a 2nd rounder 3 years from now. Feel like this was one idiot outsmarting a bigger idiot.

Looks like the Coyotes wanna dump as much salary as possible.

By replacing two guys making 1.3 mil with two guys making 750k they save just over a million dollars.

Sad but that’s the state of the Coyotes right now.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i am confused by the coyotes.. so they traded away dzingel and lyubushkin for a 3rd rounder?? if they wanted ritchie.. they coulda claimed him on waiver for free back in january

they do not want a player if there is not pick attached to it. They have enough warm bodies to lose the year.

34 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

they do not want a player if there is not pick attached to it. They have enough warm bodies to lose the year.

they could have gotten a 3rd for dzingel and lyub alone without taking on a cap dump.. makes 0 sense on so many level. especially ritchie is paid more than his cap hit next year

How many draft picks will Arizona have in the next couple years after this trade deadline. 
they have cap to take bad contracts and and they have  some good veteran rentals.. 

and even with a university arena with a capacity of 5000 they still won’t sell out.

Edited by combover

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Looks like the Coyotes wanna dump as much salary as possible.

By replacing two guys making 1.3 mil with two guys making 750k they save just over a million dollars.

Sad but that’s the state of the Coyotes right now.

They want to dump salary but took back a guy that has 1 more year on his deal where he is owed 3.3mil in salary? Lyubushkin alone is worth a 3rd rounder if they wanted him gone. Dzingel is expiring at the end of the season. I might just be dumb, but it doesn't seem like they're saving salary in this move.