The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The ironic part is had he stayed here and “toughed it out” he could have very well earned himself a nice big contract that could set them up for the rest of their lives.

Now the KHL will probably be shut down next season or at the very least have salaries greatly reduced. 

Sorry but I don’t want a player (or his girlfriend) that’s too blind to see the opportunity they had.  Is Vancouver really that bad of a city that they can’t live here 5-6 months out of the year for millions of dollars? Give me a break. That screams of entitlement.

Entitlement for sure. 

Well, going back to Russia in hindsight now looks like a bad decision for them. 

But you know what? 

I don’t feel bad for them one bit. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Chris Thornycroft said:

Passion for the game? Yes. Passion to play in North America? Clearly not. We have to realize that we're not always going to be the centre of the universe for many hockey players, when you get paid really good money tax free (compared to the average working person) to play in the KHL and you're with your family. If it's worth the difference to some players, especially if it means staying at home, I can hardly blame them. Some people value family over money. It's like calling someone a hero because they spent all their time at work, ignored their wife and kids and they left as a result. I'd consider that a huge failure. Some things are more important than money. They're still compensated very well to play a kids' game in their home country, and maybe they don't play in the "greatest league in the world," but some things are bigger than the game of hockey, and as much as we all love hockey here, you can still have a passion for the game and give up the NHL because family comes first. It's a different culture and completely different language over here than it is in Russia. Imagine if the highest level of competition was in Russia. Ask yourself if you would move yourself and your family, at least semi-permanently, over there where you can't understand a word anyone says, your wife is nagging you, or maybe all the homesickness is making you nag her. Some things are more important than money and a Stanley Cup, even if you're a hockey player. I was a competitive swimmer and I bet and bet wrong, giving all that up at Paralympic Trials over a lady who left me less than a year later. But I still get it. Would I do it all over again for someone I cared about? You're **** right I would.

I mean, that right there’s a red flag already. 

• Vintage 1

On 5/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, N4ZZY said:

Entitlement for sure. 

Well, going back to Russia in hindsight now looks like a bad decision for them. 

But you know what? 

I don’t feel bad for them one bit. 

I suspect all the KHL players are wondering where their league will be next year. They have already lost 2 teams last year didn't they? I suspect the Chinese team was being heavily subsidized. With the Olympics done maybe that money disappears. Even if he wanted to come back I don't know whether he was top 4. What will JR pay a 3rd pairing guy? He'll probably go to Washington to play with Ovie. I have real doubts about him being a fit in Van.  

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect all the KHL players are wondering where their league will be next year. They have already lost 2 teams last year didn't they? I suspect the Chinese team was being heavily subsidized. With the Olympics done maybe that money disappears. Even if he wanted to come back I don't know whether he was top 4. What will JR pay a 3rd pairing guy? He'll probably go to Washington to play with Ovie. I have real doubts about him being a fit in Van.  

I mean, there's always a chance that he comes back now with Podkolzin in the fold, and potentially Kuzmenko too. But if he does come here, whatever leverage he did have when he was here, he doesn't have that anymore in Van. And throughout the league, he's an unproven player. Tryamkin for me has zero leverage when it comes to the finances if he wants money, he'll have to stay right where he's at. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, there's always a chance that he comes back now with Podkolzin in the fold, and potentially Kuzmenko too. But if he does come here, whatever leverage he did have when he was here, he doesn't have that anymore in Van. And throughout the league, he's an unproven player. Tryamkin for me has zero leverage when it comes to the finances if he wants money, he'll have to stay right where he's at. 

The situation with Tryamkin is as simple as any other player that might get the opportunity to play here.

If you can play the game, and make the cut, your on the team, for the number agreed to.

Too many people here have hurt feelings regarding his personal “life“ decisions.

• Vintage 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:42 PM, SilentSam said:

The situation with Tryamkin is as simple as any other player that might get the opportunity to play here.

If you can play the game, and make the cut, your on the team, for the number agreed to.

Too many people here have hurt feelings regarding his personal “life“ decisions.

So, as I understand it, the NHL has suspended ALL agreements with Russia and that this might also include their MOU with regards to respecting each others player contracts. If this is the case, and considering there's reasonable chance that the KHL is going to struggle badly to pay players this coming season, would that clear a path for specific players (Tryamkin) to jump ship and return to the NHL and walk out on their contract over there?

This is complete speculation on my part, but reading some of the information about the KHL, teams that have pulled out of the league, etc, plus the fact that a lot of them receive funding from sources that may no longer be able to supply that funding. It is likely that the KHL will struggle to maintain operations of many teams in the coming season and may ever be looking to terminate some contracts.

Again, speculation, but considering the situation over there, all bets are off about the future of the KHL. I could see circumstances where they may be forced to suspend operations for a couple of years until they end the war in Ukraine.

I beleive you are correct,.   But when the NHL says it is suspending all agreements with Russia,  I beleive they are talking about suspending/ not continuing discussions related to making player movement more cohesive between the two leagues in the future.

I believe the idea was to create a bit more of “feeder” league out of the KHL, and expand on how the AHL and ECHL operates with players on NHL contracts.

For example:

a player like Tryamkin could play on his KHL club (Avtomobilist HC) under an NHL contract to the Canucks,  and the Canucks be allowed the same flexibility they have with their prospects in Abbotsford, to bring him up to play.  
I think that was where those talks were supposed go,  I read that in a KHL news feed about 18 months ago.   It was all pre-tense.

I don’t think the talks ever took place, and the NHL is perhaps making a statement, for the sake of making a statement that looks politically correct given this War.

although I did see on capfriendly, that Tryamkins contract / rights with the Canucks had a European Clause with it.

That may have been written in on his last contract that restricted him from going to the AHL.

ps.   Players who are UFA’s will continue to be UFA’s unaffiliated with any League, where ever they are from.

image.thumb.jpeg.0c353e6dd812b028ce5c3620582e7111.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam

On 5/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, Gawdzukes said:

Yep, he's a total and complete chump. Don't want an entitled, whiny, quitter like that anywhere near my team.

Because he decided Vancouver was not for him in terms of life outside hockey in no way makes him a quitter or entitled. Sure he could very well have had more financial opportunity playing in North America but he wanted to be comfortable at home, with his family and where he wants to be. To turn down potential millions in career earnings for what he values in life is the furthest from being a quitter.

That being said he probably was not going to get a bigger chance in Vancouver then he previously did, maybe another one or two year contract but he didn't seem to be destined to make it as an everyday NHLer.

On 5/17/2022 at 8:42 PM, SilentSam said:

I find this humorous years later and people still suggest " oh let's get Tryamkin to sign back in Vancouver " or " the bum left because he doesn't like the smell of pot saturating where he lives "...what a loser lol.

The guy has played the highest level of professional hockey in a foreign country where a different language is spoken and completely different way of life outside the challenges of communicating and the daily on the ice adjustments. He earned nearly 2 million dollars American in just over a couple years of his life, not too shabby. He has earned over $ 2.5 million US playing professional hockey over his still considered young career playing hockey while living for years where he chose to and being close to his home. That is pretty solid for any individual who is just 27 years old.

I liked the physical element he brought to his game for this team but otherwise not an every day more NHL defenseman who can play top four minutes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Because he decided Vancouver was not for him in terms of life outside hockey in no way makes him a quitter or entitled. Sure he could very well have had more financial opportunity playing in North America but he wanted to be comfortable at home, with his family and where he wants to be. To turn down potential millions in career earnings for what he values in life is the furthest from being a quitter.

That being said he probably was not going to get a bigger chance in Vancouver then he previously did, maybe another one or two year contract but he didn't seem to be destined to make it as an everyday NHLer.

I totally but respectfully disagree. In my opinion as an athlete he absolutely did quit competing at the highest level his sport offers. Clearly the NHL is the pinnacle of a pro hockey career, and he didn't even give it an honest effort. I believe he had an offer and then turned tail and went back home to Russia. That's the definition of quitting. How many guys would have killed for a chance like that?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I totally but respectfully disagree. In my opinion as an athlete he absolutely did quit competing at the highest level his sport offers. Clearly the NHL is the pinnacle of a pro hockey career, and he didn't even give it an honest effort. I believe he had an offer and then turned tail and went back home to Russia. That's the definition of quitting. How many guys would have killed for a chance like that?

He fulfilled his contract, so it calling him a “quitter” would literally be changing the definition of what words mean.  He didn’t get an offer that would have paid him more than playing in the KHL, and hardly saw the ice in the NHL being randomly put in the press box while watching objectively worse players play above him.

He said his biggest reason for going back was that he wanted to be an important part of a team and be relied on.

There was zero indication from any reports that he just didn’t want to work hard.

He went to his hometown team where he was actually wanted and where he had to work harder by being a top pairing 20+ a minute player and assistant captain.

I don’t get why folks are so butthurt about this player.   The Canucks didn’t value him beyond a 7-8th D, another team did.  They wouldn’t even offer him a 1 way contract to come back.

• Vintage 1

I remember when we were so hyped on Fabian Brunstrom and were devastated when he signed with Dallas. Then salt in the wound when he scored a hat trick his first game. Justin Schultz another guy we thought we could sign and he went on Edmonton. Not going to get my hopes up either way 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2