The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Russian War In Ukraine

Ilunga

Things in the Ukraine have really escalated in the last 12 hours.

Putin has signed a decree that enables Russian " peacekeepers" to enter the Ukraine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/putin-orders-russian-peacekeepers-ukraine/100849964

Pretty much the timeline some predicted regarding the agreement putin had with ping not wanting publicity taken away from the Olympics. 

This has the potential to really escalate and not just in that part of the world.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Things in the Ukraine have really escalated in the last 12 hours.

Putin has signed a decree that enables Russian " peacekeepers" to enter the Ukraine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/putin-orders-russian-peacekeepers-ukraine/100849964

Pretty much the timeline some predicted regarding the agreement putin had with ping not wanting publicity taken away from the Olympics. 

This has the potential to really escalate and not just in that part of the world.

Yup.  WWIII could easily start there.  

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  WWIII could easily start there.  

Even though this is a worst case scenario I believe you are right Alf. 

We are at a crucial point in history right now.

What happens both here and potentially Taiwan will shape the future of our world.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Not sure if its been mentioned before but a couple weeks ago russia was doing “a training exercise” in Irish waters. 

People were speculating it was some kinda flex against the EU as Ireland has never been militaristic and control of the isle would be pretty easy to take if someone wanted to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Not sure if its been mentioned before but a couple weeks ago russia was doing “a training exercise” in Irish waters. 

People were speculating it was some kinda flex against the EU as Ireland has never been militaristic and control of the isle would be pretty easy to take if someone wanted to. 

The last person you want to piss off is a drunk ass Irish.  Those celtic boys will slam a few more pints and kick some Russian ass!

Actually they would probably fold like a cheap deck of cards and just keep drinking away....

And theres no conflict, its just peacekeepers there....

• Like 1

Europe's hands are essentially tied with how much they rely on Russia for energy/resources 

Russia will slowly invade as "peacekeepers" which will eventually turn into gorilla warfare .Western allies will sanction over and over again

and China will take this as a green light and do the same with Taiwan.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've fully given up discussing geopolitics on this sporting site. To me the wh*ring western MSM is almost as dangerous as their weapons companies.

Truth, as any sort of value/priority of importance, was sold down the river, so long ago.

I am no fan of the mainstream media and I started a thread on world geopolitics that no one was really interested in. 

I have already stated in another thread that the US should give a guarantee that the Ukraine will not be allowed to join NATO and compared this situation to the Cuban missile situation where the Russians/ Khrushchev backed down.

I don't want to argue about whether Putin's actions are " wrong or right " what concerns me is what the consequences of this will be, how many people will be killed/ injured/ displaced and will this escalate into a larger conflict.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

"Peacekeepers", yeah right.  And if there is any doubt I mean that sarcastically as in how could anyone possibly believe that these are actually the actions of a country and a leader wanting peace?  Maybe it plays well at home for Putin but I don't think he's fooling anyone outside his own country, and maybe not that many within.  Good luck to Ukraine.  Stand up to those bullies (if you can).  There don't seem to be many good options at this point.  I'm afraid that it is inevitable that it is going to get ugly.

So not to alarm people. But didn't the Ukraine seize all the old Soviet nuclear weapons when the Soviet regime fell?

Did they dispose of these weapons? Or are there a few nuclear bombs ready to go at the Ukraine governments discretion?

Did Putin forget to look at his KGB files?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Russia has been encircled by the US via the UN for decades I find it hilarious that the US gets 

all hot and bothered when Russia moves assets near its own borders but yet loiters with its 

navy and airforce in provocative ways super close to other countries all the time not to even

mention their own borders.

How much of the bolded is really just a consequence of the Cold War/USSR collapse and the resultant geography? Geographically, NATO has to meet Russia (or vice versa) eventually.

I think the apprehensiveness is justified, especially with the recent Russian recognition of the pro-russia separatists and sending 'peacekeepers'. Time will tell. Hopefully it is just saber rattling but to minimize it as just "moving assets" at this point is underselling it. Russia hasn't broken any law... yet. Hopefully they don't.

Putin has put himself in an interesting position. If he invades Ukraine (if that is his intention) he violates the 2015 Minsk agreement and basically completely soils NATO/EU/UK relations. Further to that, the Russian economy is already in the sh9ts and it would presumably worsen with war. I don't see the positive here from Putin's perspective other than restoring the former USSR, or parts of it, so that he can cement his legacy.

The frustrating thing about all of this, or any war (ahem...US), is the human cost of what comes down to the decisions and desires of a very select few with power.

15 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

The very idea that the US media is using the word "False Flag" at every single 

opportunity its the definition of irony makes you want to throw up. The level of 

arrogance is astounding. 

Yeah it is a little rich coming from them isn't it. Although, it would be pretty impressive if that was their plan and the USA kiboshed it. As you say, they should be the experts. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I am no fan of the mainstream media and I started a thread on world geopolitics that no one was really interested in. 

I have already stated in another thread that the US should give a guarantee that the Ukraine will not be allowed to join NATO and compared this situation to the Cuban missile situation where the Russians/ Khrushchev backed down.

I don't want to argue about whether Putin's actions are " wrong or right " what concerns me is what the consequences of this will be, how many people will be killed/ injured/ displaced and will this escalate into a larger conflict.

If you're interested in a site with discourse on these types of matters..

"Moon of Alabama" can be a good read. Today's news already has 237 comments. No time today to pore through; but a lot of their commenters seem rather objective & informative.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So not to alarm people. But didn't the Ukraine seize all the old Soviet nuclear weapons when the Soviet regime fell?

Did they dispose of these weapons? Or are there a few nuclear bombs ready to go at the Ukraine governments discretion?

When the Soviet Union collapsed, Ukraine turned over thousands of atomic weapons in exchange for security guarantees from Russia, the United States and other countries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Europe's hands are essentially tied with how much they rely on Russia for energy/resources 

Russia will slowly invade as "peacekeepers" which will eventually turn into gorilla warfare .Western allies will sanction over and over again

and China will take this as a green light and do the same with Taiwan.

I think this is where Canada, USA and Norway need to step in... Or rather the EU admit their mistake in being too reliant on Russia. It would be less than ideal for Europe from a cost perspective but Canada and the US could supply enough energy to the EU. They could source from Africa as well.

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I believe Ukraine agreed to hand them over in exchange for being recognized as a sovereign nation. Don't quote me on that.

• Thanks 1

Russia is not innocent but y'all gotta stop drinking the yank coolaid.

Where was the "respect x country's sovereignty" during the Cuban missile crisis. 

Where was the principle of non-intervention when the US was going in dry on Latin American and Middle Eastern countries. 

As always in multilateralism, there's a whole lot of hypocrisy to go around. On both hemispheres. 

• -DLC- changed the title to Russian War In Ukraine