The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ok, let's do this! Major influx of youth and prospects!

HKSR

TRADE #1

To NYR:

Miller (50% Retained)

Horvat (50% Retained)

To VAN:

Lafreniere

Schneider

Othmann

Kravtsov

1st Round Pick

NYR becomes an instant cup favourite adding Miller AND Horvat to their lineup.  50% retained on both gives them 2 runs at a Cup with them in the lineup.

VAN looks at a big rebuild year for 2022-23.  They add a TON of youth and prospects into the system, and will likely be a lottery team for next year's draft which means another top tier prospect added.

TRADE #2

To NJD:

Boeser

Motte

3rd Round Pick

To VAN:

Mercer

Zacha

NJD get their top 6 sniper to play with Hughes and Motte to provide some more forward depth.  The also gain a 3rd round pick.

VAN get Mercer, a highly touted up and coming top 6 forward, and Zacha, the one everyone is talking about.  Yes, they give up a 3rd, but they gained a 1st in the trade above.

Petey gets the "C" next year with Hughes and Lafreniere as "A"s.

The new core moving forward (not to mention the two 1st round picks this year, and a likely lottery pick next year):

Petey

Lafreniere

Mercer

Podkolzin

Kravtsov

Hoglander

Othmann

Zacha

Hughes

Schneider

Demko

The future line-up (drools):

Podkolzin-Petey-Kravtsov

Garland-Mercer-Lafreniere

Othmann-Zacha-Hoglander

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn?

Demko

Martin

• Like 1

I'm for a Miller trade, have been for some time - but a realistic one.  People need to understand, NYR are still an elite team without Miller, they're not going to gut their franchise to acquire him.  They likely won't be able to afford re-signing both of Miller/BoHo after their respective contracts expire so selling off that many young players/assets for two guys you likely aren't keeping long-term doesn't seem likely.   

Realistically I'd do:

Miller to NYR for Schneider & 2022 1st rd pick

Boeser to NJ for Mukhamadullin & 2022 3rd rd pick. 

We create a TON of cap-space for Allvin to work with and we address a major concern of this franchise moving forward which is depth on defence. 

Edited by Fanuck
Added counter proposal
  • Vintage 1

Why in the hell NJD do that?  Mercer is younger, cheaper and already producing at the same level of Boeser.

I know it's 2 players, but IMO that's a bigger haul than what Eichel got.  NYR is not in a position to win now or bust.  Their window is just opening and if they want it to remain open for multiples years, they will need that youth coming in, in the next few years.  No chance they go for that package imo

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

TRADE #1

To NYR:

Miller (50% Retained)

Horvat (50% Retained)

To VAN:

Lafreniere

Schneider

Othmann

Kravtsov

1st Round Pick

NYR becomes an instant cup favourite adding Miller AND Horvat to their lineup.  50% retained on both gives them 2 runs at a Cup with them in the lineup.

VAN looks at a big rebuild year for 2022-23.  They add a TON of youth and prospects into the system, and will likely be a lottery team for next year's draft which means another top tier prospect added.

TRADE #2

To NJD:

Boeser

Motte

3rd Round Pick

To VAN:

Mercer

Zacha

NJD get their top 6 sniper to play with Hughes and Motte to provide some more forward depth.  The also gain a 3rd round pick.

VAN get Mercer, a highly touted up and coming top 6 forward, and Zacha, the one everyone is talking about.  Yes, they give up a 3rd, but they gained a 1st in the trade above.

The new core moving forward (not to mention the two 1st round picks this year, and a likely lottery pick next year):

Petey

Lafreniere

Mercer

Podkolzin

Kravtsov

Hoglander

Othmann

Zacha

Hughes

Schneider

Demko

Podkolzin-Petey-Kravtsov

Othmann-Zacha-Hoglander

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn?

Demko

Martin

This definitely changes the dynamic going forward in a HUGE way, and good effort in creating the proposal.

My concern is that we are banking everything on the incoming players to develop at a more than steady incline and all reaching expected potential around the same time as well in order to justify the experience and production we have traded out.

If there's any lag I don't see EP re-signing.

I don't see Demko re-signing.

And I expect that QH will push for a trade towards the end of his deal if what you propose above results in anything less than a 60-70% net positive return.

It's a real risk that could also set the franchise back even longer than anticipated.

But i get where you are going and I'm somewhat in the same boat...I'd rather root for younger, hungry players (eg. Podz) striving to make it happen and build this team chemistry/identity together as a group even if it means a few difficult seasons. If that's the case, we still can improve assets/depth through the draft.

Gonna need more experience on the roster than that though, especially during the growth phase.

26 minutes ago, RWJC said:

What I don't get is why anyone values Zacha so high. If anything he's going to give us a hybrid of Boeser and Dickinson (without the physical play).

It's not an upgrade.

I agree.  Even the Jersey fans don't like his game. lol   NJ really could use a natural RW and it sounds like they

have been thinking about Brock.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2022/02/17/new-jersey-devils-tied-vancouver-canucks-brock-boeser/

They have some very good young player and prospect, but I don't think they will trade any of the elite ones.

They probably would be ok with trading their first and maybe one of their (plentiful) Cs.  So...

Brock for NJs... 1st overall + Sherangovich

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

TRADE #1

To NYR:

Miller (50% Retained)

Horvat (50% Retained)

To VAN:

Lafreniere

Schneider

Othmann

Kravtsov

1st Round Pick

TRADE #2

To NJD:

Boeser

Motte

3rd Round Pick

To VAN:

Mercer

Zacha

Petey

Lafreniere

Mercer

Podkolzin

Kravtsov

Hoglander

Othmann

Zacha

Hughes

Schneider

Demko

Podkolzin-Petey-Kravtsov

Othmann-Zacha-Hoglander

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn?

Demko

Martin

Petey the C??  I like him as a player but he doesn't have the toughness and mean streak to be captain.  

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

TRADE #1

To NYR:

Miller (50% Retained)

Horvat (50% Retained)

To VAN:

Lafreniere

Schneider

Othmann

Kravtsov

1st Round Pick

TRADE #2

To NJD:

Boeser

Motte

3rd Round Pick

To VAN:

Mercer

Zacha

Petey

Lafreniere

Mercer

Podkolzin

Kravtsov

Hoglander

Othmann

Zacha

Hughes

Schneider

Demko

Podkolzin-Petey-Kravtsov

Othmann-Zacha-Hoglander

Hughes-Schneider

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn?

Demko

Martin

I dont mind this at all to be honest.

theres something with the current core that just doesnt work. They dont complete passes like other teams do.. idk theyre just not in sync with each other. The only line that does is Highmore-Lamikko-Motte. 

11 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm for a Miller trade, have been for some time - but a realistic one.  People need to understand, NYR are still an elite team without Miller, they're not going to gut their franchise to acquire him.  They likely won't be able to afford re-signing both of Miller/BoHo after their respective contracts expire so selling off that many young players/assets for two guys you likely aren't keeping long-term doesn't seem likely.   

Realistically I'd do:

Miller to NYR for Schneider & 2022 1st rd pick

Boeser to NJ for Mukhamadullin & 2022 3rd rd pick. 

We create a TON of cap-space for Allvin to work with and we address a major concern of this franchise moving forward which is depth on defence. 

I think your point is valid, except that NYR's have to pay Fox next year. Big jump.......$925,000 to $9,500,000, so it has to have cap retention. Then and only then can NY Rangers actually go for it.

So, that is where the extra assets comes in...so Miller for Schneider and a 1st is fine, but Miller with Cap retention is Schneider, a 1st and another decent asset.(2022-2nd?)

As for Mukhamadulin, why are we going for another LHD, when we have Rathbone in the system? I guess, but I would rather get another forward prospect, as we are loosing 2 above average forwards. Maybe something like McCleod and a 2022-2nd (McCleod is a RHC with a 58% FO %, and has alot better +- than Zacha)

But I do think your original opinion is valid if there is no retention........

The comments from coaching staff about our young players tells us a lot about past management. Players like Hog are not ready for the NHL. Benning refused to take time to develop our young players. They were drafted and thrown into the fire. Hog and Pod should probably both be in the farm right now. Our organization has done a very poor job of developing solid depth players. They have instead gone out and over paid vets to fill the supporting roles.

There is only one way to solve this but it will take time. Several years in fact. There is no quick fix for this. The statements about finding players in Europe and signing them out of college was also stated by Benning as a way to fill our system. It didn't work.

Blow this mess up and fill our system with as much young talent as possible. Develop and do this right.