The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Russian players be banned in the NHL?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

I agree with an earlier post that the NHL doesn't give a ...

However if they actually wanted to do the ethical thing I would suggest dealing with it on a player by player basis.  This is an unusual situation that could perhaps benefit from an unusual response.  If Russians are willing to sign a statement condemning the war then they can stay.  If they support Putin's completely illegitimate war then why should we hard working democratic citizens pay for their salaries and treat them like celebrities?  Democracies don't have to eat themselves (i.e. allow anti-democratic forces to exist without repercussions).  One could say that we should keep sports and politics separate but there comes a time when outrageous actions have to be called out and unusual steps must be taken.  This is such a time.  But hey, that's just a suggestion for people who care about ethics.  That doesn't include the NHL or a lot of the general public.

Lol they have to come out and sign a statement condemning the war? Should just be quiet be neutral and not bring politics into it. I dont agree with the war but political should stay out of sports unless the guy is openly supporting the war or genocide or whatever.. so should they also make American players sign a statement condemning Trump? And all Asian that works and live outside of China sign a statement condemning Xi in order to live or work in other countries?

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

No,  because not all Asians are Chinese,.

fine let's rephase that all chinese.. even those in hong kong and taiwan. or let's just make it more general every person of any ethnic must sign a statement condemning their birth country for something they did in order to work or live in another country? 

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

lets turn this a different direction then.

Hows that couch doing? 

We bought a Great Dane/Lab/rottie garbage puppy last year.   The guy is out of his mind and has no idea how big he is.   
I really like to get him super excited and he runs full speed around the house and sometimes uses the couch as a berm for a top speed corner. 
I shouldn’t let him because my wife says he will ruin the couch, but he has so much fun……… and there isn’t a damn scratch on it.   
This thing is bulletproof.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

We bought a Great Dane/Lab/rottie garbage puppy last year.   The guy is out of his mind and has no idea how big he is.   
I really like to get him super excited and he runs full speed around the house and sometimes uses the couch as a berm for a top speed corner. 
I shouldn’t let him because my wife says he will ruin the couch, but he has so much fun……… and there isn’t a damn scratch on it.   
This thing is bulletproof.  

sounds like a great pup. Must poop like a horse tho. 

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Double baggers dude.   Hahahah.  
He is 135lbs and still pretty thin.  
Biggest lap dog ever.  

thats great. Love big dogs like that. Right now we have a lab, she's on the bigger side at 80lbs for her breed and a total lap dog.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats great. Love big dogs like that. Right now we have a lab, she's on the bigger side at 80lbs for her breed and a total lap dog.

We have an old boy lab. He clocked in at 98lbs the other day, but that’s because he is loaded with big heavy tumours and just too old to get good exercise.  
Hahahah.  
His name is Larry David, but now we mostly call him ‘tumour’.   Lol

26 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

We have an old boy lab. He clocked in at 98lbs the other day, but that’s because he is loaded with big heavy tumours and just too old to get good exercise.  
Hahahah.  
His name is Larry David, but now we mostly call him ‘tumour’.   Lol

that name is hilarious.

Most of my favourite people are dogs. 

• Cheers 1