The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Clay Stevenson

I expect this management team to be real aggressive going after undrafted UFAs from Europe and the NCAA.  I love that strategy as we get a few 3rd/4th round level prospects that are further along in development.  

Most will AHL lifers, but worth the chance.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sadly DiPietro is likely out anyways.

I think Martin will earn the backup spot next season.

DiPietro will probably be packaged in a trade.

Isn't Martin a UFA though?  Would be great to keep him, but he might get a great offer from another team.  Plus, don't we still have Halak for another year, or is that just his bonus money?

What is the consensus on what’s happened with Mikey D? I was so high on his potential. Actually had hoped he would become our backup next season, but did the Nux mess up his progress by not getting him enough minutes?

Edited by RWJC

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Martin a UFA though?  Would be great to keep him, but he might get a great offer from another team.  Plus, don't we still have Halak for another year, or is that just his bonus money?

He is a UFA but I'm not sure there's any NHL team that'll really give him a guaranteed backup job. Despite his short, stellar run with the Canucks -- I'm just not sure how many NHL teams see Martin as more than a 3rd string goalie at this point. Martin's best bet is to re-sign with the Canucks, where he'd have the inside track on being the backup, and capitalizing on this opportunity instead of chasing an outside chance in another organization.

Clay is a BC kid. He played in the BCHL. 22. I'm surprised the Canucks are looking at NCAA goalies with DiPetro and Silovs in the AHL. Definitely feels like this signals that maybe DiPetro is being dangled as part of a package. DiPetro is undersized for a goalie and had his development basically stunted for no good reason by the previous management group. Could see DiPetro looking for a fresh start elsewhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He is a UFA but I'm not sure there's any NHL team that'll really give him a guaranteed backup job. Despite his short, stellar run with the Canucks -- I'm just not sure how many NHL teams see Martin as more than a 3rd string goalie at this point. Martin's best bet is to re-sign with the Canucks, where he'd have the inside track on being the backup, and capitalizing on this opportunity instead of chasing an outside chance in another organization.

Clay is a BC kid. He played in the BCHL. 22. I'm surprised the Canucks are looking at NCAA goalies with DiPetro and Silovs in the AHL. Definitely feels like this signals that maybe DiPetro is being dangled as part of a package. DiPetro is undersized for a goalie and had his development basically stunted for no good reason by the previous management group. Could see DiPetro looking for a fresh start elsewhere.

Not even sure if DiPietro has any trade value at this point, to be honest.  He has played so few games over the past couple seasons and he has not played very well this year.  Unfortunately for DiPietro, he's not a tall and lanky goalie which is essentially the prototype that most teams seem to favor nowadays.  Casey DeSmith, Jonathan Bernier and Anton Khudobin are the only NHL goalies who is around the same size as DiPietro that I can think of and at this point, it seems like they're all relegated to backup.  Khudobin obviously had the great run with Dallas in the Finals in 2020, but hasn't recaptured that form.

13 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Maybe this new guy the club is interested in is the Dipietro replacement?  

20 minutes ago, RWJC said:

What is the consensus on what’s happened with Mikey D? I was so high on his potential. Actually had hoped he would become our backup next season, but did the Nux mess up his progress by not getting him enough minutes?

He was undersized for today's goalies, was a 3rd rounder. His potential wasn't as high as we made it out to be when we drafted him. Obviously, we are very high on our prospects. Statistically he's been very meh. So I am guessing he was passed over by other goalies in our system and he's likely what we see. Not every prospect that fails to reach their potential only failed cause of the team. He likely just never hit that next level.

With that said, he's 22 going on 23. He still has like 2-3 years of development time left. Demko didn't hit the NHL full time til 24. And he had really high potential unlike DiPietro who we just overrated. So there's still hope we can get a solid backup outta DiPietro. But, time will tell.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1