The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

On 6/7/2022 at 4:05 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I have seen everybody get traded over the years and had little problem with it and certainly no problem decades later.  Tony Tanti, Richard Brodeur, Curt Fraser, Garth Butcher, Barry Pederson, Cam Neely, Patrik Sundstrom, Kevin Bieksa, Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Burrows, Roberto Luongo, Dennis Ververgaert, Don Lever, etc., etc.  I have watched the team move on from Harold Snepsts, Stan Smyl, Markus Naslund, Thomas Gradin, Doug Lidster, Ron Sedlbauer, Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Rick Lanz, Doug Halward, Kevin McCarthy, Petri Skriko, Tiger Williams, etc., etc.

I have never seen a roster get driven out of their own locker room like in the Messier-Keenan years at any other point in my life.

And Babych had plenty of good hockey left.  His career only ended when the Flyers or Kings doctors screwed up his foot.

Also, you say the team certainly needed change.  But it wasn't in dire need of change before the arrival of Messier.

Glad you brought up Babych ... he was a key part in the Flyers making it to the final - but was forced to play hurt and it cut his career short a couple years.   Wouldn't say he was "slow as molasses" yet either - that was Dana Murzyn lol.   Sure he'd lost a step but could still play as a solid middle pairing D on a deep team.    Was sad when i found out he was retiring...believe he actually successfully sued the Flyers as well.    PHI was making mincemeat out of the league lol .... but Detroit was just that much better. 

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Glad you brought up Babych ... he was a key part in the Flyers making it to the final - but was forced to play hurt and it cut his career short a couple years.   Wouldn't say he was "slow as molasses" yet either - that was Dana Murzyn lol.   Sure he'd lost a step but could still play as a solid middle pairing D on a deep team.    Was sad when i found out he was retiring...believe he actually successfully sued the Flyers as well.    PHI was making mincemeat out of the league lol .... but Detroit was just that much better. 

Yeah I think his last playoff game of his career he scored the goal to send them to overtime before they got eliminated in OT.  But Babych literally kept their season alive.

Our homeboy needs to respect that veteran D leadership.  Like Doug Lidster with his two Stanley Cups after being discarded by the Canucks like last week's prostitute.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

And I remember that during Ohlund's rookie year, the Canucks' marketing campaign was largely centered on Babych and Ohlund as the mentor and young buck.  Then Keenan showed up and Babych didn't even finish the season as a Canuck...horse whipped out of town along with every other hero of 94.

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

He played 5 playoff games for the Flyers and they were knocked out in the first round. Babych was on the bottom pair with Murzyn when he was traded and 6th among the D in ice time per game. 

He successfully sued the doctor for misdiagnosing the injury as a bone bruise when it was a fracture. He tried suing the team for fraud and lost that case.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see an updated orca.  It's grown on me through the years as the longest serving logo and it represents the west coast well.  I remember watching the video behind its creation and Linden's input was he wanted it to have a more collegiate/timeless feel and it's started to feel that way for me.  (Or maybe I'm just getting old :P)

I love the skate and rink but think it can take it's rightful place as a 3rd.  SiR shoulder patches on the mains and the occasional JC for special occasions.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 9:36 AM, Petey Castiglione said:

Never understood the "Orcas don't represent Vancouver / British Columbia" argument.   Or even that the name Canucks, must be represented by a human figure.

You can say you don't like the design itself. Eye of the beholder and all that.  But to dismiss this great animal who's population are most abundant in the Pacific Northwest, as an icon and logo for the local hockey team is puzzling.

If its simply because a past owner had used the same symbol and name for their parent company I don't get it. News Flash is was the Griffiths together with McCaw who started up Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment.  What is so odd or sacrilegious about branding your sports business with the same name as the team you own as long as it fits?   Not like the Pittsburgh Penguins.  If McCaw had named them the Dolphins, just because he had a company called Dolphin S&E, I can see the furor.  But the name works, both for a business and sports team in this area of the world. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, Me_ said:

And also…

WTF is this???

9D724305-72DB-4B34-885B-A072AA330C91.jpeg

I've seen worse options presented here as genuine designs people would like to see (no accounting for taste...), but that's pretty atrocious. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Saw this in Reddit.  A.I generated logo I thought was a great idea.  I like the idea of a black/navy blue jersey with blue & green trim.  Also think our logo needs a splash of green.  Credit to u/fusion929

What does everyone think?

Screenshot_20220823-110821_Reddit.jpg

what the hell am I looking at?

• Upvote 1