The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

11 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

If we go back to the spaghetti plate, we are going to have to have a local Italian artist redo do it all or the team will get cancelled by Italy.  

You mean Germany? The colors represent the German flag. Ots tge reason why we scored 7 on the Flames, because they thought they were playing against the German soccer team B)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tas said:

certainly, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just exhausted by the 'corporate logo' angle and its deeply flawed logic. the orca reminding you of a dark time in the organization's history is perfectly valid. 

edit: though, "to me," it seems pretty stand-up of mccaw to buy the team from the griffiths family when they could no longer handle it, and not move the team to seattle when it would have been very easy and very tempting to do so, considering the canadian dollar during his ownership tenure. 

and obviously there weren't exactly local buyers rushing out to buy the team at the time, because otherwise they, you know, would have ...

If you don't think that's corporate branding - i don't think you understand the terminology.   It's perfectly accurate to say a Seattle billionaire, purchased the Canucks, and changed the uniform and actually tried to change the name and actually had intentions to move the franchise to Seattle.    All of these things happened.    Whether or not you like the Orca and the new ones that's something different.    And yes i've watched the propaganda promoting their new and improved brand - that's marketing 101.   Find opinion leaders - and get them on video supporting the change.   What was Linden and Quin supposed to say to their new bosses?   Ewwww?!!! that's freaking awful?   Maybe.   At least the WCE era ones only lasted awhile, the public opinion wasn't very good, and still isn't  to this day - otherwise you'd find polls saying the majority likes the new ones etc.    Wouldn't worry about it too much - but if we did go back to them full time (and correct a egregious wrong IMO), how would that make you and others that grew up with them and the ones since them feel?    Didn't make us feel all that good - and it wasn't just Orca group...it was ewww what the heck and why?    At least they went back to our original colours kind of.   Not really there either - what we have now doesn't really do that era justice either, but better at least.   Don't worry is eventually the older demographic will age out. 

Aquas are Italian - sure they love their plates of pasta and obviously love their hockey - so who knows maybe we will see them back more permanently.    Did it scare you a little to hear Miller say "we should wear them every home game here on out?"  ....  Sure some 45 plus year olds like the Orca more too - if that's your case then i guess ok.     Most do not still - the polls back it up, think the Orca is part of our history now too,  a happy medium would be using the Skate as our third ... and wear them often. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If you don't think that's corporate branding - i don't think you understand the terminology.   It's perfectly accurate to say a Seattle billionaire, purchased the Canucks, and changed the uniform and actually tried to change the name and actually had intentions to move the franchise to Seattle.    All of these things happened.    Whether or not you like the Orca and the new ones that's something different.    And yes i've watched the propaganda promoting their new and improved brand - that's marketing 101.   Find opinion leaders - and get them on video supporting the change.   What was Linden and Quin supposed to say to their new bosses?   Ewwww?!!! that's freaking awful?   Maybe.   At least the WCE era ones only lasted awhile, the public opinion wasn't very good, and still isn't  to this day - otherwise you'd find polls saying the majority likes the new ones etc.    Wouldn't worry about it too much - but if we did go back to them full time (and correct a egregious wrong IMO), how would that make you and others that grew up with them and the ones since them feel?    Didn't make us feel all that good - and it wasn't just Orca group...it was ewww what the heck and why?    At least they went back to our original colours kind of.   Not really there either - what we have now doesn't really do that era justice either, but better at least.   Don't worry is eventually the older demographic will age out. 

Aquas are Italian - sure they love their plates of pasta and obviously love their hockey - so who knows maybe we will see them back more permanently.    Did it scare you a little to hear Miller say "we should wear them every home game here on out?"  ....  Sure some 45 plus year olds like the Orca more too - if that's your case then i guess ok.     Most do not still - the polls back it up, think the Orca is part of our history now too,  a happy medium would be using the Skate as our third ... and wear them often. 

this bounced all over the place, but I grew up with the skate. got a #16 home white when I was about 6. collected canuck coins. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, tas said:

this bounced all over the place, but I grew up with the skate. got a #16 home white when I was about 6. collected canuck coins. 

I grew up with the originals and flying V.   How old were you in 94?

Edit: 8.... so you actually grew up - with the Orca.    Makes sense.   It's also why i identify mostly with the Linden teams.   You must love those guys too, the same way i loved Bobby Clark, Potvin, Babych (pre-canuck), and of course the Oilers ashamed to say until Gretzky was traded when you were one.   Didn't become a "real fan" until i was 15/16 ...    And those were the skates and pre-skate. 

Edited by IBatch

22 minutes ago, tas said:

Also Tas no hard feelings.   I 100% get how important the WCE era was to fans who grew up when you did having family who also finally became fans as in avid fans during that time period.   When they finally hand their own funds to go to games etc.   That was their era.   And of course the one after that was just the best.   Luongo getting traded was one of the best news as a fan i've ever had (Mogilny was the other trade that matched my excitement).     I should have appreciated the Smyl era more but didn't ... but forgave myself lol.   It's ok.  This is a divisive subject but we are all fans together, i do feel that those who post about this part of our history were hurt because we were hurt.    Keenan era was worse then what happened to the Sedin era.   It would be like in 2010 blowing the team up before it peaked.  And it's tough not to make the ownership at the time the lighting rod for it.   Losing Gretzky (Linden/Gretzky with Bure and Mogilny and Gelinas!!) and instead getting big head Messier ... ugh. Then blowing it all up.    That team could have won us 2-3 cups. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I grew up with the originals and flying V.   How old were you in 94?

Edit: 8.... so you actually grew up - with the Orca.    Makes sense.   It's also why i identify mostly with the Linden teams.   You must love those guys too, the same way i loved Bobby Clark, Potvin, Babych (pre-canuck), and of course the Oilers ashamed to say until Gretzky was traded when you were one.   Didn't become a "real fan" until i was 15/16 ...    And those were the skates and pre-skate. 

I was grown up, at least in my own books, by the time the orca arrived. my youthful nostalgia is for the 94 era. 

that said, as I've mentioned before, I'm a proponent of change and evolution. I love the nba's approach to jerseys, for example. if I had my druthers, the team would do a branding refresh every 10 years or so.

9 hours ago, tas said:

it was the 2nd name given to the company cofounded by john mccaw and arthur griffiths to operate their sports and entertainment business. 

edit: orca bay literally still operates the team, aquilini just changed the name to canucks sports and entertainment, the same way mccaw changed it to orca bay from northwest entertainment group. it's the same entity. orca bay is what aquilini bought from mccaw. 

Yea I know Orca Bay still operates the team but that just means Aquilini bought a US company?

Edited by Chris12345

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Also Tas no hard feelings.   I 100% get how important the WCE era was to fans who grew up when you did having family who also finally became fans as in avid fans during that time period.   When they finally hand their own funds to go to games etc.   That was their era.   And of course the one after that was just the best.   Luongo getting traded was one of the best news as a fan i've ever had (Mogilny was the other trade that matched my excitement).     I should have appreciated the Smyl era more but didn't ... but forgave myself lol.   It's ok.  This is a divisive subject but we are all fans together, i do feel that those who post about this part of our history were hurt because we were hurt.    Keenan era was worse then what happened to the Sedin era.   It would be like in 2010 blowing the team up before it peaked.  And it's tough not to make the ownership at the time the lighting rod for it.   Losing Gretzky (Linden/Gretzky with Bure and Mogilny and Gelinas!!) and instead getting big head Messier ... ugh. Then blowing it all up.    That team could have won us 2-3 cups. 

I don't have any strong affinity for the orca, I just acknowledge that it is objectively the most well-designed and most representative logo the team has had and I'm sick of the broken logic of the corporate logo narrative.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea I know Orca Bay still owns the team but that just means Aquilini bought a US company?

orca bay wasn't an american company. 

edit: I'm going to try not to be condescending here, but picture it this way.

artie was a boy in vancouver who was given a lemonade stand from his mom and dad. after a few years, he decided to expand and buy a second lemonade stand, and also to buy all new lemons and sugar and equipment for both of them to use. artie soon realized that he was in over his head and couldn't afford to pay for his new equipment and lemons and didn't have enough money to keep making lemonade. he tried to find other boys in vancouver who would buy into the business, but he couldn't find anyone. 

then one day he met johnny, a boy from nearby seattle. johnny had made money mowing lawns and had always wanted to be in the lemonade business. so artie agreed to sell the majority stake in his lemonade business to johnny.

johnny and artie together realized that it would be easier to run their lemonade stands if, rather than running them separately, they made one joint company to organize things. they called it northwest lemonade group.

after a couple years, artie was broker than ever and decided to sell the rest of his stake to johnny, and johnny, after being to vancouver and witnessing the orcas there and thinking they were awesome, decided to rename the company orca bay lemonade and entertainment. 

Edited by tas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea that's what I don't understand. 

It was controlled by an American wasn't it?

I don't care where the mailing address was.

oh my god how is this so hard to understand. orca bay was just a name for the group of canucks/grizzlies/gm place. that is it. period. yes, at one point the canucks were owned by an american man named john mccaw. at no point were the canucks (aka orca bay sports and entertainment) an american company. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Slap this in the middle instead of the spaghetti plate and I’m game 

E90139EE-0FDD-4A3F-BD02-621AE7B4195D.jpeg

this actually looks pretty good and I weirdly don't remember seeing it previously. lightyears better than the blue/green spaghetti logo mock ups that are out there. 

25 minutes ago, tas said:

oh my god how is this so hard to understand. orca bay was just a name for the group of canucks/grizzlies/gm place. that is it. period. yes, at one point the canucks were owned by an american man named john mccaw. at no point were the canucks (aka orca bay sports and entertainment) an american company. 

I guess it is hard for me as I am not familiar with the legal structures and how they work.

My legal structures are extremely fuzzy but my question is if Orca Bay was a CCPC and there was a change of control - in particular by a non resident, would the company still be a CCPC? I think no, therefore, I don't understand the legal structure or rules well enough to know if it's an American company.

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I guess it is hard for me as I am not familiar with the legal structures and how they work.

My legal structures are extremely fuzzy but my question is if Orca Bay was a CCPC and there was a change of control - in particular by a non resident, would the company still be a CCPC? I think no, therefore, I don't understand the legal structure or rules well enough to know if it's an American company.

it was incorporated in canada, owned only canadian assets, and only ever operated in canada. 

it was/is a canadian company. otherwise we'd have to call cn rail an american company, too. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

it was incorporated in canada, owned only canadian assets, and only ever operated in canada. 

it was/is a canadian company. otherwise we'd have to call cn rail an american company, too. 

Ok now I'm really sorry but CNR is publicly traded on a Canadian exchange so that's not a good comparison of legal entities.

As I said I don't understand the org structure so I'll take your word for it.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Ok now I'm really sorry but CNR is publicly traded on a Canadian exchange so that's not a good comparison of legal entities.

As I said I don't understand the org structure so I'll take your word for it.

fine, bad example, but bill gates is the largest shareholder, right?

anyway, I digress. we're way past the point. I find it annoying when people suggest that mccaw vainly slapped his own company's logo on the team for spite or whatever when the reality of the situation is vastly different. it's a narrative that's been basically accepted as gospel in this fanbase forever and it's frustrating. that's the end of it for me really. 

• Cheers 1

I haven't been this proud to be a Canucks fan in an extremely long time until two nights ago. Not only because the Canucks thrashed a longtime divisional rival but they looked great in doing it too. For me, the return of the black Skate uniform wasn't so much about the beautiful black, red and yellow colour scheme. It was about the Canucks wearing a Canucks hockey crest with the classic block font instead of the corporately-inspired Orca with the cheap Checkmark in Rink and bland Agency font. Many, many fans want the black Skate back full-time. If it did, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. However, even as a huge Skate supporter, the Canucks can't keep leapfrogging back-and-forth between colour schemes. The original BC-themed blue and green scheme needs to stay. It was very wrong to ditch them in the first place. @IBatch is definitely spot on, though. Why do colours have to represent the city?? To me, Vancouver is a city of different colours. Red can be interpreted as Vancouver being a Canadian city. Yellow-gold can be interpreted for our beautiful sunsets. Black goes naturally with yellow-gold and red. Even BC's First Nations use the black, yellow, red & white scheme. Their artwork is found on the base of the Granville Street Bridge on Granville Island. As for the logo, the Orca has long overstayed its welcome and the Checkmark in Rink is a bastardized of the classic Stick in Rink. There are a number kids, tourists and newly arrived residents who think a "Canuck" is an orca whale all because of the Orca logo.

Here's what the Canucks can do to unite the majority of the fan base:

Option 1: A recoloured Skate in navy blue, white and green as the primary crest. I would even make the Skate level to avoid the downhill criticism. Navy blue is intimidating and with the green, it maintains the BC look. The Hartford Whalers are long gone and no other NHL franchise uses the beautiful blue and green look. Put Johnny Canuck on the shoulders and as the primary on a green 3rd...similar to AHL Abbotsford.

Option 2: Keep the Skate in black, yellow and red as what the overwhelming majority want but only as a regular 3rd. In order to keep the blue and green as the primary colour scheme, make the original '70 Stick in Rink the primary home and away crest. Put Johnny Canuck on the shoulders of all jerseys in respective colours. Johnny C would be the bond between the Skate with the SiR. The SiR would also look great on a navy blue uniform as well.

There are a number of awesome options but as Canucks Nation, we need to be flexible and open-minded. The only dealbreakers in correcting the Canucks brand are the corporately-inspired Orca, Checkmark in Rink and cheap Agency font.

20220206_172056.jpg

20220206_172119.jpg

20220206_171942.jpg

30 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I haven't been this proud to be a Canucks fan in an extremely long time until two nights ago. Not only because the Canucks thrashed a longtime divisional rival but they looked great in doing it too. For me, the return of the black Skate uniform wasn't so much about the beautiful black, red and yellow colour scheme. It was about the Canucks wearing a Canucks hockey crest with the classic block font instead of the corporately-inspired Orca with the cheap Checkmark in Rink and bland Agency font. Many, many fans want the black Skate back full-time. If it did, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. However, even as a huge Skate supporter, the Canucks can't keep leapfrogging back-and-forth between colour schemes. The original BC-themed blue and green scheme needs to stay. It was very wrong to ditch them in the first place. @IBatch is definitely spot on, though. Why do colours have to represent the city?? To me, Vancouver is a city of different colours. Red can be interpreted as Vancouver being a Canadian city. Yellow-gold can be interpreted for our beautiful sunsets. Black goes naturally with yellow-gold and red. Even BC's First Nations use the black, yellow, red & white scheme. Their artwork is found on the base of the Granville Street Bridge on Granville Island. As for the logo, the Orca has long overstayed its welcome and the Checkmark in Rink is a bastardized of the classic Stick in Rink. There are a number kids, tourists and newly arrived residents who think a "Canuck" is an orca whale all because of the Orca logo.

Here's what the Canucks can do to unite the majority of the fan base:

Option 1: A recoloured Skate in navy blue, white and green as the primary crest. I would even make the Skate level to avoid the downhill criticism. Navy blue is intimidating and with the green, it maintains the BC look. The Hartford Whalers are long gone and no other NHL franchise uses the beautiful blue and green look. Put Johnny Canuck on the shoulders and as the primary on a green 3rd...similar to AHL Abbotsford.

Option 2: Keep the Skate in black, yellow and red as what the overwhelming majority want but only as a regular 3rd. In order to keep the blue and green as the primary colour scheme, make the original '70 Stick in Rink the primary home and away crest. Put Johnny Canuck on the shoulders of all jerseys in respective colours. Johnny C would be the bond between the Skate with the SiR. The SiR would also look great on a navy blue uniform as well.

There are a number of awesome options but as Canucks Nation, we need to be flexible and open-minded. The only dealbreakers in correcting the Canucks brand are the corporately-inspired Orca, Checkmark in Rink and cheap Agency font.

20220206_172056.jpg

20220206_172119.jpg

20220206_171942.jpg

the skate is objectively an ugly, tacky, dated logo. it's fun for a little bit of nostalgia and history, but is not suited to be the logo of a billion dollar franchise in 2022. recolouring it blue and green makes it look absolutely hideous. 

and the best part about abbotsford using the johnny canuck logo is that I should never have to worry about seeing it on a vancouver jersey, because man is it ever bad.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1