The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Solution to our lack of defensive depth

Rate this topic

Slegr

When Burroughs got injured with broken ribs, our defensive strength took a bit blow. And then Hamonic disappears with another injury - he seems to have inherited Tanev’s Canuck luck on that front. Both tough guys, leaving big holes.

Meanwhile, players and teams are pulling out of the KHL. And plans are in works to ban Russian hockey teams from various tournaments. If you were Canucks GM, wouldn’t it make sense to at least give a call to Tryamkin’s agent to see if he’d like to get the heck out of dodge right now (he could be supported with signing bonuses to buy out his KHL contract and sign a one-year deal). Immediate toughness and size on the back end. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

aren't we one of the top defensive teams in the league, especially 5 on 5?  Ours is the type of club that wins in the playoffs, when 5 on 5 play is key.

We won’t get far while Hunt is still in our top 6. The defense is too small for getting anywhere in the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

We won’t get far while Hunt is still in our top 6. The defense is too small for getting anywhere in the playoffs.

We are not allowing many goals with Hunt.  We have Hughes, OEL, Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn playing the minutes.  When Poolman is back he will take Hunt's spot.  Plus, we have Bone coming up soon.  Our D is fine, as evidenced by our excellent 5 on 5 defensive play.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are not allowing many goals with Hunt.  We have Hughes, OEL, Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn playing the minutes.  When Poolman is back he will take Hunt's spot.  Plus, we have Bone coming up soon.  Our D is fine, as evidenced by our excellent 5 on 5 defensive play.

Isn’t Hamonic injured?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

even is he was, what does that change?  He's been out a lot and we still are fantasic defensively 5 on 5.

We’ll have four true NHL defensemen in tonight. Hunt is a liability. I’m just saying that with all the craziness going on in Russia, who have their nuclear weapons in ready-mode right now, it seems like a good opportunity to check in on still-technically-Canuck property, Tryamkin. He might be desperate to get out, and there’s no denying we could use his size.

• Like 1

Calling the sleazeball Todd Diamond to check in on Tryamkin = stalk calling/texting an old girlfriend who's got on with her life while you keep "hoping" for a return to a romance that probably wasn't there to begin with.  Doesn't matter if ex-boyfriend is JR/PA/Benning. It's over...get on with your life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

we don't need or want Tryamkin.  We want to add players who are committed to our team.  Tryamkin isn't.  I do agree though a lot of KHL players will be looking for jobs over here.

Hard to fault a guy who wanted to play at home, but he played committed when he was here. He kept Canucks pics up in his social media accounts, and he might feel it’s a safe haven for his young family right now.

Also, considering we’re currently out of a playoff spot and I went to a game two weekends ago where we had seven goals scored against us by a team we need to get ahead of, I’d be cautious saying our defense is great right now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Hard to fault a guy who wanted to play at home, but he played committed when he was here. He kept Canucks pics up in his social media accounts, and he might feel it’s a safe haven for his young family right now.

Also, considering we’re currently out of a playoff spot and I went to a game two weekends ago where we had seven goals scored against us by a team we need to get ahead of, I’d be cautious saying our defense is great right now.

Perhaps his young wife is more able to adjust to life here now too?  

• Like 1

If they haven't yet I'm waiting for the US government to either stop issuing work visas for Russian citizens or to literally begin deporting 'high profile' Russian citizens,  if/when that happens there'll  be huge ripple effects throughout the sporting world.

Anybody thinking this defence is fine is absolutely delusional. Winning in the playoffs? &^@# no lmao. This defence is so bad at getting the pass out of the zone that Shaw taught them to stop trying it and just chip it out of the zone for the forwards to get lol. Aside from Hughes and OEL the ENTIRE defence needs an overhaul. Rathbone looks he will be a good addition also. This defence can't score or put up points. This isn't the dead puck era. Defence needs to be mobile and able to make plays. Schenn is on our top pair, our bottom pair has for the most part been AHL caliber, Myers has been fine but is not the ideal partner for OEL. OEL makes Myers look better than he is, and Myers is also paid double what he should be. Our 5 on 5 play is also indicative of our forwards performing well defensively. We also have NO depth on our D line. This team is so far behind on all fronts and convincing ourselves otherwise would be a mistake.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, luongianone said:

Anybody thinking this defence is fine is absolutely delusional. Winning in the playoffs? &^@# no lmao. This defence is so bad at getting the pass out of the zone that Shaw taught them to stop trying it and just chip it out of the zone for the forwards to get lol. Aside from Hughes and OEL the ENTIRE defence needs an overhaul. Rathbone looks he will be a good addition also. This defence can't score or put up points. This isn't the dead puck era. Defence needs to be mobile and able to make plays. Schenn is on our top pair, our bottom pair has for the most part been AHL caliber, Myers has been fine but is not the ideal partner for OEL. OEL makes Myers look better than he is, and Myers is also paid double what he should be. Our 5 on 5 play is also indicative of our forwards performing well defensively. We also have NO depth on our D line. This team is so far behind on all fronts and convincing ourselves otherwise would be a mistake.

I agree. 

Also is the d better because of Demko?

13 minutes ago, babych said:

Maybe you and me should come out of retirement?

Babych was tough as nails.  Maybe not the most physically aggressive, but I never saw him get knocked down. I remember a Chicago goon taking a run at him and just bounced off Babych. One solid customer who knew how to sport a stache,  and would still look good in our top 6.

• Upvote 2