The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor McDavid - Captain material???

Rate this topic

Not sure if anyone saw some of the post game video but watched this one on McDavid - not sure if he was going to cry or not but man - not really speaking like a Captain is he? Love the part when he is asked about play in their own end and he says "We're back on this" - good thing they have Kane and his "leadership" to lean on when needed.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/post-raw--mcdavid-030522/t-277437406/c-10813382

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

Not sure if anyone saw some of the post game video but watched this one on McDavid - not sure if he was going to cry or not but man - not really speaking like a Captain is he? Love the part when he is asked about play in their own end and he says "We're back on this" - good thing they have Kane and his "leadership" to lean on when needed.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/post-raw--mcdavid-030522/t-277437406/c-10813382

When guys put up 100 plus point seasons, but are too often minus players there's something clearly missing from their game.  Connor and Leon are selfish.  They refuse to make the sacrifices needed to play without the puck. They are "look at me go mommy" little boys, and not men.  That's why the will never be winners.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think it is fair to say that anointing the best player on a team with the key leadership role is not always a smart move. In his case one can see from his statements and his mannerisms he is clearly not someone who is comfortable, not to mention competent, in that role. This approach to the captaincy of a pro-hockey team is old school.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

When guys put up 100 plus point seasons, but are too often minus players there's something clearly missing from their game.  Connor and Leon are selfish.  They refuse to make the sacrifices needed to play without the puck. They are "look at me go mommy" little boys, and not men.  That's why the will never be winners.  

Dunno what you are smoking, McDavid is mostly a plus player. 

Why are you guys are so hard on Mcdavid lol.. He took a high stick a few days ago and had his teeth knocked out to put that interview into perspective. 

He may not be the "hockey" captain you are looking for. But making Mcdavid captain is a no brainer. He brings in more fans, generate more revenue, get him more attached to the club so he signed long term. 

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

McDiver has always been a whiner. If you want to see a real leader look to Crosby. 

Crosby was quite the whiner in his earlier years but managed to turn that around relatively fast. Took him far less time than McDavid has had so far. They (McD and Drai) are losers to the core and will remain so, as long as they are in that pathetic excuse of an NHL franchise.

They remind me a lot of Marner in that sense... whiny, crybaby, never faced adversity in their lives. Just purely unlikeable

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Crosby was quite the whiner in his earlier years but managed to turn that around relatively fast. Took him far less time than McDavid has had so far. They (McD and Drai) are losers to the core and will remain so, as long as they are in that pathetic excuse of an NHL franchise.

They remind me a lot of Marner in that sense... whiny, crybaby, never faced adversity in their lives. Just purely unlikeable

thats it, Sid learned to deal with it. McBaby isn't physical like that though, so he needs to pout. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Dunno what you are smoking, McDavid is mostly a plus player. 

Why are you guys are so hard on Mcdavid lol.. He took a high stick a few days ago and had his teeth knocked out to put that interview into perspective. 

He may not be the "hockey" captain you are looking for. But making Mcdavid captain is a no brainer. He brings in more fans, generate more revenue, get him more attached to the club so he signed long term. 

McWhiner Baby is a minus player.  He is one of the worst players in the league without the puck.  He is the classic "look at me go mommy" player, who completely (and selfishly) disregards the sacrifice needed to be a true leader.  If he had character, with his skills, he could be the next Pavel Bure.  But he's more like Valari Bure.

2 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

I think it is fair to say that anointing the best player on a team with the key leadership role is not always a smart move. In his case one can see from his statements and his mannerisms he is clearly not someone who is comfortable, not to mention competent, in that role. This approach to the captaincy of a pro-hockey team is old school.

I agree, except I'm so old I thought this was still new school.

Orland Kurtenbach was a veteran and the toughest player on the team by 100 miles, perfect captain imo.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Crosby didn't have to deal with the s*^*show that is the Oilers.  He's been in that losing culture for 7yrs now, which I would

think, frustrate the hell out of him.  Just like the rebuild before him, there seems to be no end to the misery.  Day in and day

out, he has to face the Canadian media and he still has another 4yrs left on his contract.  Shudder.

Crosby is a tough player and a good leader for sure.  He was selected by a team that went to the final round in his 3rd

season and won the SC in his 4th.  A few years later, the team won back to back SCs.  He has never faced the disnal

situation that McDavid has.

You can say that Bo has the same circumstances in Vancouver, but the Canucks have never been considered potential

cup winners every year.  This has been going on in Edm for more than a decade.

• Vintage 1

I guess the Oilers never heard of building from the net out, and they refuse to really address this. Add a forward (Kane) that'll fix it!  

keep up the good work EDM

I'm eventually expecting a massive blockbuster trade between EDM and NYR, with Connor headed for the Big Apple. Maybe it won't happen this year, but eventually.

Just a wild guess:  for Panarin and two 1sts

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I guess the Oilers never heard of building from the net out, and they refuse to really address this. Add a forward (Kane) that'll fix it!  

keep up the good work EDM

I'm eventually expecting a massive blockbuster trade between EDM and NYR, with Connor headed for the Big Apple. Maybe it won't happen this year, but eventually.

Just a wild guess:  for Panarin and two 1sts

McD to LA for something around Byfield, Clarke +++

Edited by nergish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously not.  Gutless flopper who refuses to backcheck and throws numerous tantrums; this isn't out of character.  He needs a coach with the balls to tell him he either starts acting like a man or he can enjoy the press box.  McDiver is not only not captain material, his character issues make him an obvious locker room cancer.

• Like 1

McDavid is what Bure would be if Bure were Canadian.

If Bure played in this era, he would easily put up 70 goals 130 points. Even then, he would not be a captain of an NHL team.

I think McDavid is a great player and he could turn things around but he's not a natural leader like Crosby or Toewes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Obviously not.  Gutless flopper who refuses to backcheck and throws numerous tantrums; this isn't out of character.  He needs a coach with the balls to tell him he either starts acting like a man or he can enjoy the press box.  McDiver is not only not captain material, his character issues make him an obvious locker room cancer.

Pat Quinn would have put Mcbaby in his place, that's for sure.  

OMG that's pretty brutal, almost felt sorry for him there for a second. Then I thought to myself: McDiver + Keith + Kane + still no goalie or defense, and then I smiled again.

Edit: the arrogance to the reporter when he answered "we're back on that" is really something btw, I get that he doesn't like losing and that he's heard the question before (for good reason), but still, that is not captain material and his whole demeanor doesn't exactly give an impression of fighting spirit.

Edited by J-P
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Spoilers deserves these two stars and there dramas but [if] Holland, succeeds in developing or finding a legit goalie there fortunes might change.  Halak for there 1st - lol.

Edited by ShawnAntoski