The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Aquarium Being Investigated For Animal Cruelty

Angry Goose

I have a hard time seeing how the Aquarium deserves this, seems like a bit of a witch-hunt to me. In the article it actually talks about how the Aquarium has proactively asked for a meeting and tour with the SPCA, which isn't something an organization looking to hide things typically does. 

I've gone on the behind the scenes tour a couple of times and was really impressed with what that organization does and how it cares for the animals there. The reality is you can't learn everything we need to in the wild, its just not possible. 

The Zoo otoh freaked me out, that place did not seem properly run to me. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I have a hard time seeing how the Aquarium deserves this, seems like a bit of a witch-hunt to me. In the article it actually talks about how the Aquarium has proactively asked for a meeting and tour with the SPCA, which isn't something an organization looking to hide things typically does. 

I've gone on the behind the scenes tour a couple of times and was really impressed with what that organization does and how it cares for the animals there. The reality is you can't learn everything we need to in the wild, its just not possible. 

I was once told the Van Zoo was owned by gangster types.

Don't know how true but the source was a legit guy.

He also said that you would be surprised how many illegal exotic animals are in homes/basements in 'the valley' 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I was once told the Van Zoo was owned by gangster types.

Don't know how true but the source was a legit guy.

He also said that you would be surprised how many illegal exotic animals are in homes/basements in 'the valley' 

you could just tell things were off there, it was like walking though an animal depression ward. 

its not fair or correct to lump the aquarium in with that place, imo. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you could just tell things were off there, it was like walking though an animal depression ward. 

its not fair or correct to lump the aquarium in with that place, imo. 

I agree the aquarium is a lot different.

I am just against animal captivity on most levels, except for the obvious reasons ...rehab, education that leads to betterment of whatever species etc

Keep in mind. I am a vegetarian for compassionate reasons. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree the aquarium is a lot different.

I am just against animal captivity on most levels, except for the obvious reasons ...rehab, education that leads to betterment of whatever species etc

I get that, meat production is pretty nasty when you see how its all actually done.

There's a massive gap between that, or animals primarily as entertainment, vs what the aquarium does. I'm not sure our media allows for even that level of distinction tho. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I get that, meat production is pretty nasty when you see how its all actually done.

There's a massive gap between that, or animals primarily as entertainment, vs what the aquarium does. I'm not sure our media allows for even that level of distinction tho. 

Absolutely.

I didn't mean to suggest anything other than I am very conscious of any suffering of sentient beings on any level.

Now, where is that poster to bust my ass on my devouring of poor vegetables and the intellectual capacity of the Mustard seed plant?

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/11/26/do_plants_behave_like_animals.html

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like they're against the concept of the zoo and captivity more than a specific problem with this zoo. I don't know too much about this but I don't condone suffering for anyone, especially not for simple profit. I haven't been to the zoo since I was a kid.

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Absolutely.

I didn't mean to suggest anything other than I am very conscious of any suffering of sentient beings on any level.

Now, where is that poster to bust my ass on my devouring of poor vegetables and the intellectual capacity of the Mustard seed plant?

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/11/26/do_plants_behave_like_animals.html

I was talking about the media take, not you just to be clear. Lumping in the zoo and the aquarium in the same story is trying to do a bit of a smear job, imo.

BTW, who speaks for the carrots? 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I was talking about the media take, not you just to be clear. Lumping in the zoo and the aquarium in the same story is trying to do a bit of a smear job, imo.

BTW, who speaks for the carrots? 

Maynard James Keenan does of course...

And the angel of the lord came unto me
Snatching me up from my place of slumber
And took me on high and higher still
Until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest
And as we descended cries of impending doom rose from the soil
One thousand nay a million voices full of fear
And terror possessed me then
And I begged Angel of the Lord what are these tortured screams?
And the angel said unto me
These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard
Tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat
Like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared
"Hear me now, I have seen the light!
They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!
Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Je
sus

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I've had friends who work in bird and marine animal rescue work there during their schooling.  Neither has anything to say about stuff like this happening and both would have been quick to call out such. Not saying things couldn't happen but want to hear more.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Surprised we all weren't aware of this. It is usually the first thing out of someone's mouth..on topic or not..

Teasing you..but have known some insufferable vegans over the years..

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Teasing you..but have known some insufferable vegans over the years..

although I know what you mean, keep in mind the world we live in, and how we treat animals (both systematically and inhumanely) is truly deplorable. and that’s a massive understatement, trust me.  so when I come across ardent vegans I get why they can be like that.  

As a matter of justice, Im unequivocally for animal rights.  willing to discuss the topic with anyone, but also dont need to cram it down anyone’s throats (unless I get the typical bashing).