The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Aquarium Being Investigated For Animal Cruelty

Angry Goose

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Stop it.

That way when the Aliens arrive you can justify your objection. 

Find me a better place to take kids to let them run and bike around in a large area and not lose them lol. It was a god send to go there. 

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Find me a better place to take kids to let them run and bike around in a large area and not lose them lol. It was a god send to go there. 

A park?

If that's too big of an area you could try putting shock collars on the little tykes. 

• Haha 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

A park?

If that's too big of an area you could try putting shock collars on the little tykes. 

Oh god I hope this year is a lot less parks. Every Saturday and Sunday was zoo or parks. Hopefully my kids want to do more sports this year

• Huggy Bear 1

20 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I, too, am against zoos, circuses, "attractions" that use animals for profit and entertainment.

I know the aquarium's had some good elements and goals, but are they doing everything "in the best interest of"?

I've learned a lot about animal exploitation and cruelty over the past decade or two. As someone who used to take my kids to zoos and circuses, it kind of started when I learned of the Vancouver Game Farm and the allegations they faced. I'd seen, with my own eyes, some of what they were being accused of. Hazina the Hippo (used in advertising and marketing for Telus I believe?).

I became very interested in animal advocacy and Nosey the elephant was another story I followed and got very involved with. She was freed to a sanctuary after a LONG fight. It's no secret that I now do rabbit rescue stuff and it's heart wrenching when you see how animals suffer at the hands of humans.

Please educate yourselves and chose carefully when determining the entertainment value in attractions you support. It may seem "fun" to take your kids to watch animals perform or even in what appears to be fairly "natural" surroundings for them. But even living creatures need stimulation and "entertainment". Companionship. To have their space and privacy "respected" so that when they're "off" they aren't under a glaring spotlight. 

In particular, animals that "perform" unnatural acts (think jumping through hoops of fire or elephants "crawling" in procession out of a ring. Painful and often they have underlying conditions that go untreated adding to that.

It's kind of horrific when you do start to learn details about abuse and neglect of animals. Surface value and seemingly caring "handlers" can often be anything but. Most who profit from animal attractions are focused more on the money end of things and the expenses associated with the animals often means they're shortchanged in proper care and environment.

I'll be curious to see the outcome in this. I mean, there are some great rescue efforts that mean animals are sometimes "held" in rather unnatural settings as they recover or are cared for. But to keep them there indefinitely shouldn't ever be the goal.

The aquarium has done some good and they do have to raise funds somehow. I just how it's not at the animal's expense (as is often what becomes the case).

Animal lover, George Laraque offered to donate $100,000 to help move 35 year old Lucy the elephant from the Edmonton zoo to a sanctuary in the USA.  This was back in 2010.  Read George Laraque's book.  It is interesting read on George, the animal lover and vegan. He even got Pamela Anderson to go to Haiti to help with the earthquake relief.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ex-nhler-laraque-offers-100k-to-move-elephant-1.899685

A elephant doesn't belong in Edmonton.

Famous animal activist, Jane Goodall reversed her recommendation last year.  

https://globalnews.ca/news/7648618/jane-goodall-lucy-elephant-edmonton-valley-zoo/

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the owners are in the entertainment field, sadly I'm not surprised at this news.

Current properties[edit]

Amusement parks[edit]

Owned/operated[edit]

Name Location Year Opened Year Acquired Notes
Dollywood Pigeon Forge, Tennessee 1961 1976 Sold stake to Dolly Parton in 1986
Kentucky Kingdom Louisville, Kentucky 1987 2021 Owned by the Kentucky State Fair Board but operated by HFE
Silver Dollar City Branson, Missouri 1960    
Wild Adventures Valdosta, Georgia 1996 2007 Purchased for $34.5 million ($43.1 million in 2020 dollars[8])

Water parks[edit]

Dollywood's Splash Country Pigeon Forge, Tennessee 2001    
Hurricane Bay Louisville, Kentucky 1992 2021 Included with admission to Kentucky Kingdom
Splash Island Valdosta, Georgia 2003 2007 Included with admission to Wild Adventures
White Water Branson Branson, Missouri 1980    

Aquariums[edit]

Adventure Aquarium Camden, New Jersey 1992 2007  
Newport Aquarium Newport, Kentucky 1999 2007  
Vancouver Aquarium Vancouver, British Columbia 1956 2021 [9]

Attractions[edit]

Stone Mountain Stone Mountain, Georgia   1998 Owned by the State of Georgia; operated by HFE
Talking Rocks Cavern Stone County, Missouri   1969  

Dinner shows[edit]

Dolly Parton's Stampede Pigeon Forge & Branson 1988 & 1995   Chain of dinner theaters.
Pirates Voyage Myrtle Beach & Pigeon Forge 1992 & 2019   Dinner Theatre first opened as a Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede but converted to Pirates Voyage in 2011. Pigeon Forge location opened in 2019.
Showboat Branson Belle Table Rock Lake in Branson, Missouri 1995   A dinner, show and cruise originally known as Kenny Rogers Showboat Branson Belle.

Lodging[edit]

Dollywood Cabins Pigeon Forge 2010   Cabin style lodging in the Great Smoky Mountains
Dollywood's DreamMore Resort Pigeon Forge 2015   Full Service resort and spa
Evergreen Resort Stone Mountain, Georgia     In partnership with Marriott International, Inc. a conference, golf and spa resort
Stone Mountain Inn Stone Mountain, Georgia      
Stone Mountain Campground Stone Mountain, Georgia      
Silver Dollar City campground Branson     Log cabins and campground

Sports Entertainment Franchise[edit]

Harlem Globetrotters International Inc. Atlanta, GA 1926 2013 Exhibition Basketball team
Edited by MJDDawg

@JM_ That animal welfare and research might not be at the top of their priority list.

Not saying they're poor owners because I don't know that and I don't know what their reputation is with their other aquariums.  But cutting corners to make bottom line look better could become an option. 

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

@JM_ That animal welfare and research might not be at the top of their priority list.

Not saying they're poor owners because I don't know that and I don't know what their reputation is with their other aquariums.  But cutting corners to make bottom line look better could become an option. 

could be, but I just don't see the aquarium staff here being part of that and staying quiet. This whole thing seems driven by people at the humane society, their video was pretty flimsy stuff. 

6 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

It was purchased less than a year ago so it's probably under the same management.