The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Patrick Kane Trade Talks

Surprising to see he isn't scratched due to trade considerations. We don't see this many players scratched usually (or not that I can remember). With Toews injured and un-tradeable, I'm surprised Chicago don't do the same.

I've never liked the tactic, seems kind of unsportsmanlike, but here Kane is racking up goals like it's nothing.

1226E61D-BFFB-49FB-95B7-4026D0DF8097.jpeg.b8ad6a8ef96e972659dc6dcb9447e22c.jpegThey could do a retention 50% and have another team do a retention 25% like leafs did for ROR

so a team could get him for basically 25%

He’ll end up a ranger 

Chicago is building another dynasty. Shockingly they are doing through the draft not overpaid  30+ year old ufas weird. 
want to increase your odds of getting a good to great draft pick pretty simple DRAFT MORE! To bad nobody told JB. 

i hate them but can’t help but feel jealous that they actually know how and are willing to build a successful long term team. 

Edited by combover

2 minutes ago, combover said:

They could do a retention 50% and have another team do a retention 25% like leafs did for ROR

so a team could get him for basically 25%

He’ll end up a ranger 

Chicago is building another dynasty. Shockingly they are doing through the draft not overpaid  30+ year old ufas weird. 

i hate them but can’t help but feel jealous that they actually know how and are willing to build a successful long term team. 

You mean like Canucks did with petey Hughes virtanen juolevi Podkolzin…. Have to hit on the pieces for those draft picks to mean anything… they also traded away dach already, this rebuild for them has already hit year 4 if you look past the bubble which many sugguest on here don’t count, Daniel and henrik wanted to stay that cost us a few firsts, burrows Hansen bieksa and kesler got us small returns on prospects and picks that did not pan out… tho Linus karlsson still undetermined factor from all that none the less super underwhelming on hindsight, people seem to forget how hard it is to not only draft the right players but have them developed properly as well 

1 minute ago, LegionOfDoom said:

You mean like Canucks did with petey Hughes virtanen juolevi Podkolzin…. Have to hit on the pieces for those draft picks to mean anything… they also traded away dach already, this rebuild for them has already hit year 4 if you look past the bubble which many sugguest on here don’t count, Daniel and henrik wanted to stay that cost us a few firsts, burrows Hansen bieksa and kesler got us small returns on prospects and picks that did not pan out… tho Linus karlsson still undetermined factor from all that none the less super underwhelming on hindsight, people seem to forget how hard it is to not only draft the right players but have them developed properly as well 

Oh did they draft them all in 1 or two years? or was that spread out over a DECADE. 
the Canucks never did. they never once went all in on the draft they sucked as they still do and got their  One  high pick per that the squandered on JV and OJ. 

your right you have to hit but you have better odds to hit if you have more picks. They have 7 picks in this years top 3 rounds and that’ll go up more once kanes and others are moved out. 

this is by most experts takes a very deep draft if there was a year to go for picks and lots of them this seems like it. 

15 minutes ago, combover said:

Oh did they draft them all in 1 or two years? or was that spread out over a DECADE. 
the Canucks never did. they never once went all in on the draft they sucked as they still do and got their  One  high pick per that the squandered on JV and OJ. 

your right you have to hit but you have better odds to hit if you have more picks. They have 7 picks in this years top 3 rounds and that’ll go up more once kanes and others are moved out. 

this is by most experts takes a very deep draft if there was a year to go for picks and lots of them this seems like it. 

I’m not knocking the plan I’m just saying Vancouver went into full rebuild and everyone acts as if their 7/8 high picks never existed, a rebuild happened here weather you all want to believe it or not and we came out with petey Hughes demko, now you retool around them till it works not waste their prime going into another rebuild and watching them walk or trade them and start all over again 

7 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I’m not knocking the plan I’m just saying Vancouver went into full rebuild and everyone acts as if their 7/8 high picks never existed, a rebuild happened here weather you all want to believe it or not and we came out with petey Hughes demko, now you retool around them till it works not waste their prime going into another rebuild and watching them walk or trade them and start all over again 

We didn't go into a rebuild we just sucked. The goal while Benning's management group was around was always to make the playoffs and be competitive, it just didn't work out that way. The end result of our having drafted high doesn't mean that was part of a rebuild plan. Benning inherited an organization that was largely devoid of quality prospects let alone prospect depth, he also inherited a roster that was aging and in decline. 

Trading picks for players who were supposedly further along because of a talent gap wasn't rebuilding, bringing in players like Vrbata, Eriksson, Myers, and so on wasn't rebuilding. Benning wanted to insulate the young talent we did have but the goal was still to compete. 

We repeatedly heard the term retool while Benning was around and he traded out more picks than he brought in. 

This season has actually been more of what we had under Benning, there was no intention to bottom out the way we have we've simply been awful. The goal was to be competitive, Rutherford went as far as to say our defense was alright last summer. 

Linden was the guy who uttered the rebuild word but never had a chance to ride it out. Even towards the end of his tenure Benning shipped out assets for Toffoli, that wasn't a rebuilding move. 

If Benning's goal was to rebuild he did a terrible job of it, hitting on a couple 1st round picks in Pettersson and Hughes and hitting on a 2nd round pick in Demko isn't much to show for the length of time he was here. He got very little beyond the 1st round, repeatedly shipped out picks and prospects, and continually made moves to try and build a competitive roster (and failed at it for the most part) which culminated in the OEL/Garland trade. 

This organization has largely been a nothing burger with no clear direction for most of the past decade. Throughout my time as a fan this organization has never actually committed to rebuilding. 

• Cheers 1

So, for anyone to take Kane, I would expect it to be a 3 way trade, like Toronto did. Figure 2 teams taking part of his cap hit. Chicago absorbs 50% and another team, (Vancouver maybe) absorbs 50% again, bringing him down to 2.5 million hit essentially.

How about: Chicago trades Kane here, at 50% salary, we trade him to Colorado with Schenn, Chicago gets Colorado's 2023 1st, and prospects. We get Alex Newhook!

Anyone have an issue with that for return?

If anyone suggested this already, sorry, I didn't go through all pages of this thread!

32 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

There was no rebuild.

the good picks were because the guy in charge was a failure he was desperate to make the playoffs not draft high. 
rebuilding teams don’t trade firsts for 28-33 year old vetrans 

or get capped out on 4th liners.

we got good picks  because the manger and owners were idiots not because of a planed rebuild. 

and if you want to call that a rebuild then It makes Jb look even worse because out of the potential 56 draft picks he had over that time we ended up with right now 5 nhlers… it would be one of the worst rebuilds in nhl history since we still have no depth no prospects and no wins… 

lolololol.

teams  that started actually rebuilding a few years ago have already passed us on the path back to contention and Chicago will to if we keep going with the proven path to failure. 

The club since 2012 has taken the road to nowhere and it shows no signs of changing that.

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, for anyone to take Kane, I would expect it to be a 3 way trade, like Toronto did. Figure 2 teams taking part of his cap hit. Chicago absorbs 50% and another team, (Vancouver maybe) absorbs 50% again, bringing him down to 2.5 million hit essentially.

How about: Chicago trades Kane here, at 50% salary, we trade him to Colorado with Schenn, Chicago gets Colorado's 2023 1st, and prospects. We get Alex Newhook!

If anyone suggested this already, sorry, I didn't go through all pages of this thread!

Count me in.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'd be down for something like that, I don't mind being the middle man team at all if it pays well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, combover said:

There was no rebuild.

the good picks were because the guy in charge was a failure he was desperate to make the playoffs not draft high. 
rebuilding teams don’t trade firsts for 28-33 year old vetrans 

or get capped out on 4th liners.

we got good picks  because the manger and owners were idiots not because of a planed rebuild. 

and if you want to call that a rebuild then It makes Jb look even worse because out of the potential 56 draft picks he had over that time we ended up with right now 5 nhlers… it would be one of the worst rebuilds in nhl history since we still have no depth no prospects and no wins… 

lolololol.

teams  that started actually rebuilding a few years ago have already passed us on the path back to contention and Chicago will to if we keep going with the proven path to failure. 

The club since 2012 has taken the road to nowhere and it shows no signs of changing that.

Lol there was a rebuild  you don’t just pick 5/5/6/7 what ever it was there after trading out your vets if it wasn’t a rebuild, sedins stayed because they didn’t want to leave which made fans feel otherwise about the situation, but that’s returned loyalty to guys that we’re loyal to the team their whole careers, I’m not upset about them only wearing one sweater. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Lol there was a rebuild  you don’t just pick 5/5/6/7 what ever it was there after trading out your vets if it wasn’t a rebuild, sedins stayed because they didn’t want to leave which made fans feel otherwise about the situation, but that’s returned loyalty to guys that we’re loyal to the team their whole careers, I’m not upset about them only wearing one sweater. 

Nope there wasn’t.we only acquired one extra first rounder we traded away more top picks than we acquired 

we threw away prospects for nothing.

If that’s a rebuild then it’s the new hand book on everything a rebuilding team should NEVER DO, 

we drafted low because our manger was clueless idiot hence why he was fired. 
Poorly run teams draft low all the time without rebuilding they draft low because they were built poorly. 

Rebuilding team don’t trade away prospects for rentals like we saw with toffoli and others  to push for the last wildcard spot every year. 
rebuilding team don’t let expiring contracts walk away for free year after year 

if we were rebuilding we would have a bit of prospect depth right.we don’t. 

Edited by combover
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

lol i've never seen a "rebuilding" team capped out every season and have 0 extra picks.. 4 season 28 picks total.. not a single extra pick.. we were just straight up a bad team every year hence we picked high.. we never rebuild once since our last cup run.. we didn't even trade away hamhuis and just let him walk in free agency and a bunch of others.. and we traded away like 8 picks during that time for projects and nhl ready players... 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1